* "writing to child signal FD: Bad file descriptor" message when opening a LaTeX document's PDF file using the Run Viewer button
@ 2022-11-08  7:02 Evan Aad
From: Evan Aad @ 2022-11-08  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I created the following LaTeX document in Emacs:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Hello, world!
\end{document}

I saved this document in a file named "mydoc.tex" inside my home directory "~/".

I then processed the document through a LaTeX engine by executing the
following commands in a Terminal window:

> pdflatex mydoc

The command ran successfully, and produced a pdf file named "~/mydoc.pdf".

I then hit the "Run Viewer" button in the Emacs GUI's toolbar (i.e.
the button showing a pair of glasses with the label "PDF" under them).
This button is supposed to open the PDF file associated with the TeX
document in the current buffer. And this is indeed what happened.
However, at the same time the following message appeared in the
Terminal window:

/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs-x86_64-10_14: writing to
child signal FD: Bad file descriptor

This message is appended to the Terminal window every time I hit the
"Run Viewer" button.

How can I fix whatever problem it is that causes this message to appear?

***

System info:

Computer: iMac, late 2013
OS: macOS Catalina, v. 10.15.7
Emacs: GNU Emacs, v. 28.2 (9.0)
pdflatex version: 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.24 (TeX Live 2022)

* Re: "writing to child signal FD: Bad file descriptor" message when opening a LaTeX document's PDF file using the Run Viewer button
@ 2022-11-08  8:42 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-11-08  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Aad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    Evan> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs-x86_64-10_14: writing to
    Evan> child signal FD: Bad file descriptor

    Evan> This message is appended to the Terminal window every time I hit the
    Evan> "Run Viewer" button.

    Evan> How can I fix whatever problem it is that causes this message to appear?

Does the error message go away if you do "M-x shell" in the same
session first? If so, youʼve run into
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58960>

which is fixed in Emacs 29.1 (not yet released)

Robert

@ 2022-11-08  9:20   ` Evan Aad
From: Evan Aad @ 2022-11-08  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Does the error message go away if you do "M-x shell" in the same session first?

Yes, the error message goes away if I do "M-x shell".

You can close this thread with a status of "Duplicate", pointing to
the bug report you linked to in your post.

Thanks.

@ 2022-11-08  9:37     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-11-08  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Aad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >> Does the error message go away if you do "M-x shell" in the same session first?
    Evan> Yes, the error message goes away if I do "M-x shell".

    Evan> You can close this thread with a status of "Duplicate", pointing to
    Evan> the bug report you linked to in your post.

help-gnu-emacs is not a bug tracking system :-)

Robert

@ 2022-11-08  9:52       ` Evan Aad
From: Evan Aad @ 2022-11-08  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 11:37 AM Robert Pluim wrote:
> help-gnu-emacs is not a bug tracking system :-)

Even so, I find it helpful to know by an explicit indication that a
thread of discussion has reached its conclusion as far as the original
poster is concerned, and the reason for this conclusion.

@ 2022-11-08 10:45         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-08 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Evan Aad wrote:

> I find it helpful to know by an explicit indication that
> a thread of discussion has reached its conclusion as far as
> the original poster is concerned, and the reason for
> this conclusion.

Maybe it's just delayed ... or deadlock, starvation, can be
several reasons why it hasn't appeared yet.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal