* Fringe bitmap scaling
@ 2023-08-30 11:33 Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2023-08-30 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello list,

I’m using Emacs 29.1 on Ubuntu 22.04, X11, HiDPI monitor.

    $ xdpyinfo | grep -i resolution
      resolution:    192x193 dots per inch
    $ xrdb -get Xft.dpi
    192
    $ env | grep SCALE
    GDK_DPI_SCALE=0.5

If I compile Emacs with the default GTK+ toolkit, the fringe icons are
not scaled (1:1) and too tiny to see comfortably. However, if I build
--with-pgtk, they are scaled 2:1, as I expect at such DPI.

Is it possible, and which knob do I need to turn, to get proper fringe
bitmap scaling on the GTK build?

* Re: Fringe bitmap scaling
@ 2023-08-30 12:17 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-08-30 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible, and which knob do I need to turn, to get proper fringe
> bitmap scaling on the GTK build?

Cairo scales all drawing operations in the PGTK build, where Emacs only
provides or receives unscaled coordinates from the window system.

This isn't supported under window systems where Emacs is required to
scale text itself.  Something else that's been on my plate for a while.