* Any reason not to use native compilation mode?
@ 2023-10-12 10:30 Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-10-12 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Assuming it works without issue, what are the tradeoffs?
I believe I read somewhere there's a higher memory usage with native
compilation. Is there any other cost?

Jonathon McKitrick
--
'My other computer is your Windows box.'

* Re: Any reason not to use native compilation mode?
@ 2023-10-12 11:49 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-10-12 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> Assuming it works without issue, what are the tradeoffs?
> I believe I read somewhere there's a higher memory usage
> with native compilation. Is there any other cost?

Compilation time, especially with ahead-of-time, as in

  --with-native-compilation=aot

but then you don't get the somewhat disruptive messages when
there are warnings from just-in-time compiled Elisp packages.
And you also don't build Emacs that often, so it is better to
do it once and for all and then not having to bother about
it, really.

But even a modern multicore computer gets semi-unresponsive
back and forth for a long time, so one can build Emacs and
then go and do laundry or something while it processes ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal