* v. 29.1.1 | Missing syntax colouring option
@ 2023-08-10 11:18 Ricky Tigg
From: Ricky Tigg @ 2023-08-10 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello. As a regular Fedora GNU-Linux user I am used to gnome-editor. When I
have to switch to Windows' side, it is invariably by accident. Here for
instance to investigate some properties of the TPM 2.0 chip as reported in
PowerShell in order to compare them as those I obtained on Linux's side.

It appears that GNU Emacs strangely supports Windows. An opportunity to
have the GNU spirit everywhere is through something I could not miss so I
installed it, as v. 29.1.1. Nonetheless as per the content at
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/, "*Content-aware editing modes,
including syntax coloring, for many file types*." an option dedicated to
set the *coding language* is missing from the UI.

The extension of the file I work with is *ps1*. I doubt Emacs knows how to
determine that the expected code language is PowerShell as there is no
syntax coloring.

Also an observation that cannot be missed; the software lacks the option *Open
a recent file*. Having to repeatedly specify the same path is without doubt
not an option in modern software. It would be worth adding that option..
Regards.