* emacs starting automatically
@ 2023-09-24 20:01 aalinovi
From: aalinovi @ 2023-09-24 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am ruuning emacs-29.1 on OpenBSD-current.

Everytime I boot up and startx, emacs starts up automatically. This
happens regardless of the window manager I am using (cwm, fvwm and twm).

It even happens if I mv my ~/.emacs.d and reboot. Emacs creates an empty
~/.emacs.d and starts up.

If anyone has any ideas why ths might be happening I would appreciate
it.

Thank you

Arthur

* Re: emacs starting automatically
@ 2023-09-24 21:06 ` Michel Verdier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michel Verdier @ 2023-09-24 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le 24 septembre 2023 aalinovi a écrit :

> Everytime I boot up and startx, emacs starts up automatically. This
> happens regardless of the window manager I am using (cwm, fvwm and twm).

It's a good thing : I WANT emacs on startup :)

It can be launched from your init files in /etc or in your home
(.xsession, ...). There is some other ways, perhaps start with
grep -r emacs ~/
grep -r emacs /etc

* Re: emacs starting automatically
@ 2023-09-24 21:55 ` Arsen Arsenović
From: Arsen Arsenović @ 2023-09-24 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aalinovi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

aalinovi@riseup.net writes:

> I am ruuning emacs-29.1 on OpenBSD-current.
>
> Everytime I boot up and startx, emacs starts up automatically. This
> happens regardless of the window manager I am using (cwm, fvwm and twm).
>
> It even happens if I mv my ~/.emacs.d and reboot. Emacs creates an empty
> ~/.emacs.d and starts up.
>
> If anyone has any ideas why ths might be happening I would appreciate
> it.

Does your .xinitrc contain a call to Emacs?  What does command-line-args
contain?  You can grep that such an invocation happens somewhere.
--
Arsen Arsenović

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: emacs starting automatically
@ 2023-09-25  8:51 ` Ulrich Deiters
From: Ulrich Deiters @ 2023-09-25  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

check /etc/passwd: The entry for your username should name a shell
at its end (e.g., /bin/bash), not /usr/bin/emacs.

check your startup file, $HOME/.bashrc if you are using bash, or
.login, or whatever your preferred shell uses.

check the settings of your session manager. Did you (perhaps
accidentally) store a previous session? I do not know which system
you are using; on openSUSE/KDE the program launcher has a menu entry
for "energy management/session" where you can select whether you
resume a previous session after login or start a fresh one. Other
session managers probably have a similar option.

Regards,

Ulrich

--
Prof. i.R. Dr. Ulrich K. Deiters ______________________________________
Institut f. Physikalische Chemie \ Greinstr. 4–6, D-50939 Köln

* Re: emacs starting automatically
@ 2023-09-25 17:41   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-09-25 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michel Verdier wrote:

>> Everytime I boot up and startx, emacs starts up
>> automatically. This happens regardless of the window
>> manager I am using (cwm, fvwm and twm).
>
> It's a good thing : I WANT emacs on startup :)
>
> It can be launched from your init files in /etc or in your
> home (.xsession, ...). There is some other ways, perhaps
> start with grep -r emacs ~/

Yes, to include the shell init files and other dotfiles,
e.g. .bashrc, .zshrc ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: emacs starting automatically
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-09-26 19:44 ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2023-09-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aalinovi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Where did you move your .emacs.d? If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME isn't set
Emacs will use ~/.emacs.d