* RE: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2023-12-30 18:12   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-12-30 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > (set-fontset-font t 'arabic +bidi-arabic-font)
> >
> > this makes the initial situation better but now the Urdu text is not
> > affected by the `text-scale-mode` commands.
>
> That's because the :size attribute is absolute: 28.  Instead, use a
> relative value, a float such as 1.5, then it should scale with the
> rest of the text.

Very useful info.  But I don't see that spelled
out clearly in the doc.  There I find only
statements such as these.  Do they perhaps imply
what you stated?

`:size'

VALUE must be a non-negative integer or a floating point number
specifying the font size.  It specifies the font size in pixels (if
VALUE is an integer), or in points (if VALUE is a float).
___

':size'
  The font size-either a non-negative integer that specifies the
  pixel size, or a floating-point number that specifies the
  point size.
___

Is such info already documented somewhere?
If not, should it be?  An explicit statement
about point-size being scalable might help.

* Re: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2023-12-30 18:54     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-30 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:12:08 +0000
>
> > > (set-fontset-font t 'arabic +bidi-arabic-font)
> > >
> > > this makes the initial situation better but now the Urdu text is not
> > > affected by the `text-scale-mode` commands.
> >
> > That's because the :size attribute is absolute: 28.  Instead, use a
> > relative value, a float such as 1.5, then it should scale with the
> > rest of the text.
>
> Very useful info.  But I don't see that spelled
> out clearly in the doc.  There I find only
> statements such as these.  Do they perhaps imply
> what you stated?
>
> `:size'
>
> VALUE must be a non-negative integer or a floating point number
> specifying the font size.  It specifies the font size in pixels (if
> VALUE is an integer), or in points (if VALUE is a float).

Sorry, I was confused.  What I wrote is true for the :height
attribute of a face, not about :size in a font-spec.  IOW, to get what
he wants, the OP should define a face with :height attribute a float.

* RE: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2023-12-30 21:17       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-12-30 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > That's because the :size attribute is absolute: 28.  Instead, use a
> > > relative value, a float such as 1.5, then it should scale with the
> > > rest of the text.
> >
> > Very useful info.  But I don't see that spelled
> > out clearly in the doc.  There I find only
> > statements such as these.  Do they perhaps imply
> > what you stated?
> >
> > `:size'
> >
> > VALUE must be a non-negative integer or a floating point number
> > specifying the font size.  It specifies the font size in pixels (if
> > VALUE is an integer), or in points (if VALUE is a float).
>
> Sorry, I was confused.  What I wrote is true for the :height
> attribute of a face, not about :size in a font-spec.  IOW, to get what
> he wants, the OP should define a face with :height attribute a float.

Thanks for clarifying.  That makes sense.

* Re: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2023-12-31  0:58         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-12-31  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> Thanks for clarifying.  That makes sense.

It's also worth mentioning that face-font-rescale-alist frees you from
providing a scale factor in every place the font to be scaled is
specified.

* Re: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2023-12-31 10:41 Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2023-12-31 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luangruo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Po,

> It's also worth mentioning that face-font-rescale-alist frees you from
> providing a scale factor in every place the font to be scaled is
> specified.

Thank you so much face-font-rescale-alist is exactly what I wanted. But
it seems like there is bug or at least a problem with doc string. It
mentions that FONT-PATTERN can be a font-spec but when I try to pass a
font spec in my config I get an error:

string-match-p: Wrong type argument: stringp, #<font-spec nil nil Mehr\ Nastaliq\ Web nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>

Using the font name for FONT-PATTERN works as expected, so I have used
that.

Thanks again,
Rahguzar

* Re: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2024-01-01 12:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-01-01 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Rahguzar <rahguzar@zohomail.eu>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:41:32 +0100
>
> Thank you so much face-font-rescale-alist is exactly what I wanted. But
> it seems like there is bug or at least a problem with doc string. It
> mentions that FONT-PATTERN can be a font-spec but when I try to pass a
> font spec in my config I get an error:
>
> string-match-p: Wrong type argument: stringp, #<font-spec nil nil Mehr\ Nastaliq\ Web nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil>

Which font-spec did you try to pass?  IOW, please show a recipe that
fails as above.

* Re: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2024-01-01 13:11 Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2024-01-01 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,

> Which font-spec did you try to pass?  IOW, please show a recipe that
> fails as above.

I see the error in the echo area of the Emacs frame that pops us when I
execute e.g.

emacs -Q --eval="(add-to-list 'face-font-rescale-alist `(,(font-spec :family \"Mehr Nastaliq Web\") . ,(/ 28.0 24)))"

The name of the family is not important and to me if happens for all names.

If I do `C-h v face-font-rescale-alist RET` the value of
face-font-rescale-alist includes a key for the font-spec but the error
stops loading of the config in normal use.

Thanks,
Rahguzar

* Re: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2024-02-13  9:02 ` Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2024-02-13  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rahguzar; +Cc: eliz, help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,

Can you reproduce error on startup with the emacs -Q invocations I
posted? It can slightly simplified to,

emacs -Q --eval="(add-to-list 'face-font-rescale-alist `(,(font-spec :family \"monospace\") . 1.2))"

Should I file a bug report about it?

Thanks,
Rahguzar

@ 2024-02-13 13:02   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-02-13 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Rahguzar <rahguzar@zohomail.eu>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:02:28 +0100
>
> Can you reproduce error on startup with the emacs -Q invocations I
> posted? It can slightly simplified to,
>
> emacs -Q --eval="(add-to-list 'face-font-rescale-alist `(,(font-spec :family \"monospace\") . 1.2))"

I don't have this family of fonts installed, so I cannot try that.

> Should I file a bug report about it?

Feel free.

* Re: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2024-02-15 10:07   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-02-15 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Rahguzar <rahguzar@zohomail.eu>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:02:28 +0100
>
> Can you reproduce error on startup with the emacs -Q invocations I
> posted? It can slightly simplified to,
>
> emacs -Q --eval="(add-to-list 'face-font-rescale-alist `(,(font-spec :family \"monospace\") . 1.2))"
>
> Should I file a bug report about it?

I eventually found some time to look into this.  It turned out this
was a bug in the Emacs startup code, now fixed in what will eventually
become Emacs 30.1.

Thanks.

* Re: [External] : Re: Text scale mode and additional fonts
@ 2024-02-19 17:11 Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2024-02-19 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli,

> I eventually found some time to look into this.  It turned out this
> was a bug in the Emacs startup code, now fixed in what will eventually
> become Emacs 30.1.

I tested and the error is gone now.

As always, thanks a lot!
Rahguzar