* New installation of GNU Emacs 28.2, (Debian bookworm,) error
@ 2024-03-14 18:55 John Conover
From: John Conover @ 2024-03-14 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

emacs filename yields

    Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/xxx/.emacs.elc Disable showing Disable logging

What is an eln file?

    Thanks,

        John

--

John Conover, conover@panix.com, http://www.johncon.com/

* Re: New installation of GNU Emacs 28.2, (Debian bookworm,) error
@ 2024-03-14 19:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-14 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:55:59 -0700
> From: conover@panix.com (John Conover)
>

> emacs filename yields
>
>     Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found for /home/xxx/.emacs.elc Disable showing Disable logging
>
> What is an eln file?

It's the result of native compilation.

The message tells you that Emacs is unable to find whether your system
has a .eln file corresponding to your .emacs.elc because it cannot
find the source file .emacs.el or .emacs that was byte-compiled into
.emacs.elc.

* Re: New installation of GNU Emacs 28.2, (Debian bookworm,) error
@ 2024-03-14 19:19   ` John Conover
From: John Conover @ 2024-03-14 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ls -al .emacs*
-r-------- 1 xxx users 150523 Dec 20  2022 .emacs
-r-------- 1 xxx users 150545 Dec  3  2020 .emacs.bak
-r-------- 1 xxx users  54941 Dec 20  2022 .emacs.elc
-r-------- 1 xxx users  54863 Sep  9  2017 .emacs.elc.bak
-r-------- 1 xxx users   7708 Dec 17  2019 .emacs.help
-r-------- 1 xxx users    220 Feb 10  2022 .emacsheaders

But ln -s .emacs .emacs.el fixes it.

    Thanks,

    John

--

@ 2024-03-14 20:03     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-14 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:19:59 -0700
> From: conover@panix.com (John Conover)
>

> ls -al .emacs*
> -r-------- 1 xxx users 150523 Dec 20  2022 .emacs
> -r-------- 1 xxx users 150545 Dec  3  2020 .emacs.bak
> -r-------- 1 xxx users  54941 Dec 20  2022 .emacs.elc
> -r-------- 1 xxx users  54863 Sep  9  2017 .emacs.elc.bak
> -r-------- 1 xxx users   7708 Dec 17  2019 .emacs.help
> -r-------- 1 xxx users    220 Feb 10  2022 .emacsheaders
>
> But ln -s .emacs .emacs.el fixes it.

I think this has been fixed in Emacs 29 already.

But anyway: why are you compiling your init file?  It isn't supposed
to include any significant Lisp code that is worth compiling.

* Re: New installation of GNU Emacs 28.2, (Debian bookworm,) error
@ 2024-03-14 20:41       ` John Conover
From: John Conover @ 2024-03-14 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> > Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:19:59 -0700
> > From: conover@panix.com (John Conover)
>
> I think this has been fixed in Emacs 29 already.
>
> But anyway: why are you compiling your init file?  It isn't supposed
> to include any significant Lisp code that is worth compiling.

I didn't recompile it. Emacs 28 did not recognize ~/.emacs as the
source, but did recognize the ~/.emacs.elc file. I had to ln -s .emacs
.emacs.el to make it work; it then compiled ~.emacs.el into
~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/*.

Seems odd to be shuffling around file names and directories for a
program that is 40 years old this year.

    Thanks,

    John

--

@ 2024-03-15  7:03         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-15  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:41:07 -0700
> From: conover@panix.com (John Conover)
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
> >
> > But anyway: why are you compiling your init file?  It isn't supposed
> > to include any significant Lisp code that is worth compiling.
>
> I didn't recompile it. Emacs 28 did not recognize ~/.emacs as the
> source, but did recognize the ~/.emacs.elc file.

That's very strange: I've been using all the versions of Emacs since
19.30 till now with ~/.emacs, and never had any problems with its
recognizing this init file.

> I had to ln -s .emacs .emacs.el to make it work; it then compiled
> ~.emacs.el into ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/*.
>
> Seems odd to be shuffling around file names and directories for a
> program that is 40 years old this year.

Indeed, and it shouldn't be necessary.  Perhaps there's something
special in your arrangement of files and/or directories of importance
to Emacs, which causes this.  If you can find out what that is, please
submit a bug report, if Emacs 29 still doesn't recognize ~/.emacs
(after you delete .emacs.el, .emacs.elc, and the corresponding .eln
file).