* rmail_ how download emails for secondary email
@ 2023-10-03  1:46 జిందం వాఐి
From: జిందం వాఐి @ 2023-10-03  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu Emacs

* run
cd ~/mail
movemail -v pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:PASSWD@disroot.org:995
~/RMAIL
movemail -v pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:PASSWD@disroot.org:995
~/disrt

* error
movemail: could not create mailbox `pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:
Invalid port or service specification

* ~/mail is configured as  rmail-secondary-file-directory

* .emacs
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
  '(auto-save-default nil)
  '(create-lockfiles nil)
  '(debug-on-error t)
  '(initial-buffer-choice "~/")
  '(make-backup-files nil)
  '(message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
  '(rmail-mbox-format 'mboxrd))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
  )

;; pop3

(require 'smtpmail)
(require 'rmail)

(setq user-full-name "జిందం వాఐి")

;; Configure known SMTP servers. Emacs prompts for passwords and saves
them in ~/.authinfo
   (setq smtp-accounts          ;; Format: Sender Mail address - SMTP
Server - Port - Username
         '(("jindam@list.ru" "smtp.mail.ru" 465 "jindam@list.ru")
           ("jindam.vani@disroot.org" "disroot.org" 465
"jindam.vani@disroot.org")
           ))

(setq
  rmail-preserve-inbox 1                     ; Don't delete mail from
server
  rmail-mail-new-frame 1                     ; Compose in a full frame
  rmail-delete-after-output 1                ; Delete original mail after
copying
  rmail-mime-prefer-html nil                 ; Prefer plaintext when
possible
  rmail-file-name   "~/mail/inbox"           ; The path to our inbox file
  rmail-secondary-file-directory "~/mail"    ; The path to our other mbox
files
  message-default-headers "Fcc: ~/mail/sent") ; Copy sent mail to the
"sent" file

;; Debug
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)

;; html
(setq
  shr-use-fonts nil  ; Don't load fancy fonts
  shr-indentation 2  ; A left-margin of 2 columns
  shr-use-colors nil ; Don't load special colors
  shr-width 32       ; Fix width to 70 columns
  shr-bullet "• ")   ; A bullet character for <li> elements

;; tls
(setq rmail-movemail-flags "--tls")

;; Use Mail mode to compose messages (default)
(setq mail-user-agent 'sendmail-user-agent)

;; If you're using rmail
(setq read-mail-command 'rmail)

;; inboxes list
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
             (cons (concat "pop3://"
			                    "jindam@list.ru"
			                    "@pop.mail.ru") nil)
             (cons (concat "pop3://"
			                    "jindam.vani@disroot.org"
			                    "@disroot.org") nil))

;; old code [ never delete anything ]
;; (setq
;; The mail URL, specifying a remote mail account
;; (Omit this to read from /var/mail/user)
;; rmail-primary-inbox-list
;;  '("pops://jindam@list.ru@pop.mail.ru"))
;; (setq user-mail-address "jindam@list.ru")
;; (setq smtpmail-smtp-user "jindam@list.ru"
;;    smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.mail.ru"
;;    smtpmail-smtp-service 465
;;    smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)

* how do i resolve?

--
regards,
జిందం వాఐి [ jindam, vani ]

* Re: rmail_ how download emails for secondary email
@ 2023-10-03  5:58 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-03  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 07:16:07 +0530
> From: జిందం వాఐి <jindam.vani@disroot.org>
>
> * run
> cd ~/mail
> movemail -v pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:PASSWD@disroot.org:995
> ~/RMAIL
> movemail -v pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:PASSWD@disroot.org:995
> ~/disrt
>
> * error
> movemail: could not create mailbox `pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:
> Invalid port or service specification

Is this movemail from Emacs, or from then GNU Mailtutils package?  I
think it's the latter, in which case the error means you are not using
movemail correctly or something (I have no experience with movemail,
sorry).

One question I have to ask is why do you use 995 as the port, while
your email setup uses different ports?

Another questions is why are you using jindam.vani@disroot.org as
username instead of just jindam.vani (since the host is specified
after that anyway)?

If the above doesn't help, I suggest to ask this question on the GNU
Mailutils list, since the problem pertains to that package, not to
Emacs per se.

* Re: rmail_ how download emails for secondary email
@ 2023-10-03  9:45   ` జిందం వాఐి
From: జిందం వాఐి @ 2023-10-03  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2023-10-03 11:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 07:16:07 +0530
>> From: జిందం వాఐి <jindam.vani@disroot.org>
>>
>> * run
>> cd ~/mail
>> movemail -v pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:PASSWD@disroot.org:995
>> ~/RMAIL
>> movemail -v pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:PASSWD@disroot.org:995
>> ~/disrt
>>
>> * error
>> movemail: could not create mailbox `pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:
>> Invalid port or service specification
>
> Is this movemail from Emacs, or from then GNU Mailtutils package?  I
> think it's the latter, in which case the error means you are not using
> movemail correctly or something (I have no experience with movemail,
> sorry).
>
> One question I have to ask is why do you use 995 as the port, while
> your email setup uses different ports?

* do u mean_ "jindam@list.ru" "smtp.mail.ru" 465 "jindam@list.ru"
* port 465 for sending email
* port 995 for pops, assumed it is required
to download emails
* if we dont specify, it assumes 995 [ 1 ]

> Another questions is why are you using jindam.vani@disroot.org as
> username instead of just jindam.vani (since the host is specified
> after that anyway)?

i tried it, same error message

[ 1 ] https://mailutils.org/manual/mailutils.html#Remote-Mailboxes

--

@ 2023-10-03 13:34   ` జిందం వాఐి
From: జిందం వాఐి @ 2023-10-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2023-10-03 11:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 07:16:07 +0530
>> From: జిందం వాఐి <jindam.vani@disroot.org>
>>
>> * run
>> cd ~/mail
>> movemail -v pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:PASSWD@disroot.org:995
>> ~/RMAIL
>> movemail -v pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:PASSWD@disroot.org:995
>> ~/disrt
>>
>> * error
>> movemail: could not create mailbox `pops://jindam.vani%40disroot.org:
>> Invalid port or service specification
>
> Is this movemail from Emacs, or from then GNU Mailtutils package?  I
> think it's the latter, in which case the error means you are not using
> movemail correctly or something (I have no experience with movemail,
> sorry).
>
> One question I have to ask is why do you use 995 as the port, while
> your email setup uses different ports?
>
> Another questions is why are you using jindam.vani@disroot.org as
> username instead of just jindam.vani (since the host is specified
> after that anyway)?
>
> If the above doesn't help, I suggest to ask this question on the GNU
> Mailutils list, since the problem pertains to that package, not to
> Emacs per se.

done.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-mailutils/2023-10/msg00000.html