* emacs for windows 28.2 problems loading .emacs
@ 2024-02-13 21:35 John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2024-02-13 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.  So, I was using some old version of emacs -- gotten through
chocolatey, and things were working, but I upgraded their package to
emacs 28.2 and now when I start emacs, it seems not to load my desktop
and I am not sure what else its not doing.  I tried debug-init, but it
did not give me any errors.

How can I find out what is happening and see what its doing or not?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* Re: emacs for windows 28.2 problems loading .emacs
@ 2024-02-13 23:33 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2024-02-13 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Covici, help-gnu-emacs

If .emacs is still in home directory has home directory been changed by
version upgrade or is home directory undefined?

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.

@ 2024-02-13 23:46   ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-02-13 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Covici; +Cc: Jude DaShiell, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 5:33 PM Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:

> If .emacs is still in home directory has home directory been changed by
> version upgrade or is home directory undefined?

I suspect this same.

See if the value of `user-init-file' might be different between the two version

I can't speak for how the chocolatey build is made or what it might do
but setting the system environment variable HOME should influence
where Emacs looks for .emacs and .emacs.d/ for at least the GNU (and
unpatched self-made) Windows builds.

* RE: emacs for windows 28.2 problems loading .emacs
@ 2024-02-14  5:03   ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2024-02-14  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jude DaShiell', help-gnu-emacs

I do have some more information -- the .emacs starts to load, but it never loads my .emacs.desktop which is in the same directory as the .emacs .  So, how can I figure out what actually the .emacs is doing?  The only thing I see in the *Messages* buffer is a message indicating that the save-place is loaded, so this is what I need to do --somehow trouble the .emacs file and see where it is going wrong.

@ 2024-02-14 15:01     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-02-14 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "John Covici" <covici@ccs.covici.com>
> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:03:41 -0500
>

> I do have some more information -- the .emacs starts to load, but it never loads my .emacs.desktop which is in the same directory as the .emacs .  So, how can I figure out what actually the .emacs is doing?  The only thing I see in the *Messages* buffer is a message indicating that the save-place is loaded, so this is what I need to do --somehow trouble the .emacs file and see where it is going wrong.

How does your .emacs load the desktop file?

* RE: emacs for windows 28.2 problems loading .emacs
@ 2024-02-14 17:17       ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2024-02-14 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii', help-gnu-emacs

> I do have some more information -- the .emacs starts to load, but it never loads my .emacs.desktop which is in the same directory as the .emacs .  So, how can I figure out what actually the .emacs is doing?  The only thing I see in the *Messages* buffer is a message indicating that the save-place is loaded, so this is what I need to do --somehow trouble the .emacs file and see where it is going wrong.

How does your .emacs load the desktop file?

Fixed, just had to customize the correct variables i.e. where to search for the .desktop file -- not sure why it worked before.

Thanks.