* Accented characters in italian language
@ 2024-03-18 15:06 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-03-18 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I am writing a latex document in italian.  How can one introduce the italian
accented characters.  Would one use something like "C-x 8 RET".  What would
be needed for me to insert all accented characters in the italian language
on an emacs line ?

* Re: Accented characters in italian language
@ 2024-03-18 15:31 ` Henrique Martins
From: Henrique Martins @ 2024-03-18 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am writing a latex document in italian.  How can one introduce the italian
> accented characters.

(defun heime-italian()
  "Enable it_IT dictionary and italian-prefix."
  (setq ispell-local-dictionary "it_IT")
  (activate-input-method XXX-prefix))
  )

where XXX-prefix could be italian-keyboard, italian-postfix,
italian-alt-postfix, or any of the latin-1 prefixes that
suits you.

Then execute heime-italian in your latex buffer.

Try M-x set-input-method then type TAB to list all
input-methods, or search for "italian" in your emacs
distribution, in these files:
 lisp/language/european.el.gz
 lisp/leim/quail/latin-alt.el.gz
 lisp/leim/quail/latin-post.el.gz

I do that for portuguese/french/spanish, where to type,
e.g. á, type ', then a.  Never tried italian.

-- Henrique

* Re: Accented characters in italian language
@ 2024-03-18 15:43   ` Ulrich Deiters
From: Ulrich Deiters @ 2024-03-18 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am writing a latex document in italian.  How can one introduce the italian
> accented characters.

You can enter most accented characters directly without using
TeX workarounds, i.e., "à", "ò" or "ù" are acceptable in modern
LaTeX documents.

--Ulrich

* Re: Accented characters in italian language
@ 2024-03-18 22:08   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-03-18 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique Martins; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, March 19th, 2024 at 3:31 AM, Henrique Martins <emacs@martins.cc> wrote:

> > I am writing a latex document in italian. How can one introduce the italian
> > accented characters.
>

> (defun heime-italian()
> "Enable it_IT dictionary and italian-prefix."
> (setq ispell-local-dictionary "it_IT")
> (activate-input-method XXX-prefix))
> )
>
> where XXX-prefix could be italian-keyboard, italian-postfix,
> italian-alt-postfix, or any of the latin-1 prefixes that
> suits you.
>
> Then execute heime-italian in your latex buffer.
>
> Try M-x set-input-method then type TAB to list all
> input-methods, or search for "italian" in your emacs
> distribution, in these files:
> lisp/language/european.el.gz
> lisp/leim/quail/latin-alt.el.gz
> lisp/leim/quail/latin-post.el.gz

I would like to have a command that does the equivalent of
'M-x set-input-method' that would show me the list of
input methods.

@ 2024-03-18 22:20     ` Henrique Martins
From: Henrique Martins @ 2024-03-18 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Heime

One way is to enter this in the *scratch* buffer
 (describe-variable 'input-method-alist)

Place the cursor after the closing parenthesis and type C-u
C-x C-e.  Look in the *Help* buffer that opens, or close it
and look in the *scratch* buffer.

-- Henrique

* Re: Accented characters in italian language
@ 2024-03-18 22:37       ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-03-18 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique Martins; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, March 19th, 2024 at 10:20 AM, Henrique Martins <emacs@martins.cc> wrote:

> One way is to enter this in the scratch buffer
> (describe-variable 'input-method-alist)
>
> Place the cursor after the closing parenthesis and type C-u
> C-x C-e. Look in the Help buffer that opens, or close it
> and look in the scratch buffer.

> -- Henrique

Would I actually need to set the input method ?

What do you this of this

(defun heime-multilingu_envir ()
  "Display a list of Multilingual Environments."
  (interactive)
  (set-input-method nil)
  (call-interactively 'set-input-method))