unofficial mirror of emacs-tangents@gnu.org
* 2015-11-23 Emacs News
@ 2015-11-23 16:23 Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2015-11-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

HTML version at http://sachachua.com/blog/2015/11/2015-11-23-emacs-news/

• Org Mode
  • [Start simple]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tugdo/what_people_miss_when_they_are_new_to_orgmode_is/)
  • [Pragmatic Emacs: Org-mode basics VI: A simple TODO list]
    (http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/org-mode-basics-vi-a-simple-todo-list/)
  • [Many ways to use org-mode]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tc4sv/what_ways_do_you_use_orgmode/)
  • [Org in a mixed Vim/Emacs environment]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3teqv3/is_orgmode_good_for_collaboration_in_mixed/)
    - vim-todoo
  • [Inline tasks]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tpd5z/a_different_way_to_use_org_xpost_rorgmode/)
  • [Irreal: Asynchronous Python in Org Mode]
    (http://irreal.org/blog/?p=4735)
  • [Alternative keybindings for navigating through headings]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tn1ba/orgmode_homerowbindings_for_changing_level_etc/)
  • [Tooltips on Emacs commands and variables in org-mode]
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLUMW0sR4Vk) (7:04)
  • [Discussion of how to make estimates for tasks]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3t5vil/how_to_make_an_estimate_outline_with_orgmode/)
• Configuration
  • [Tips for restructuring/cleaning up your ~/.emacs]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tlwzl/tips_on_restarting_my_config/)
  • [Spacemacs pros and cons]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tp30g/can_we_talk_some_more_about_spacemacs/)
• Email
  • [Raimon Grau: Mu4e and gmail (multiple accounts)]
    (http://puntoblogspot.blogspot.com/2015/11/mu4e-and-gmail-multiple-accounts.html)
  • [sachachua: Mail with Gnus on Windows]
    (http://sachachua.com/blog/2015/11/mail-with-gnus/)
  • [Creating a separate window configuration for e-mail etc.]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3t8zqh/emacs_and_email_pt_2/)
• Coding
  • [Quickly look up x86 assembly documentation]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tdheu/programming_quickly_lookup_x86_assembly/)
  • [Endless Parentheses: Test-Driven-Development in CIDER and Emacs]
    (http://endlessparentheses.com/test-driven-development-in-cider-and-emacs.html?source=rss)
  • [Endless Parentheses: Update on tdd-mode with CIDER]
    (http://endlessparentheses.com/update-on-tdd-mode-with-cider.html?source=rss)
  • [Marcin Borkowski: The Emacs widget library and automatic
    modification of editing fields]
    (http://mbork.pl/2015-11-21_The_Emacs_widget_library_and_automatic_modification_of_editing_fields)
  • [Not Wizardry! - Set Emacs for Javascript]
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoT_EA4rGIw) (14:53)
  • [Rust-Mode - Working with Rust in Emacs]
    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3QeVD_Z_00) (7:31)
• Others
  • [systemclip - use the system clipboard from console Emacs]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tisu3/the_reliable_way_to_access_system_clipboard_from/)
  • [Resizing windows]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3to9a6/resizemode/)
  • [Emacs at work]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tv7pj/emacs_work/) -
    things aside from software development
  • [emacspeak: Emacspeak 43.0 (SoundDog) Unleashed!]
    (http://emacspeak.blogspot.com/2015/11/emacspeak-430-sounddog-unleashed.html)
  • [Pragmatic Emacs: Delete (non) matching lines]
    (http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/delete-non-matching-lines/)
  • [sachachua: 2015-11-18 Emacs Hangout]
    (http://sachachua.com/blog/2015/11/2015-11-18-emacs-hangout/)
  • [Maybe we should try not calling Emacs Lisp "programming"…]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3tj71x/even_office_secretaries_learn_lisp_why_do_the/)
  • [A CEO's guide to Emacs]
    (https://blog.fugue.co/2015-11-11-guide-to-emacs.html)
• Dev news
  • Emacs development changelog
    • [linum-mode plays more nicely with other margin-setting
      extensions]
      (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=b92307f6708f9abff0b2ac242fe4b668232a9153)
      such as darkroom-mode and olivetti-mode
    • [image-mode supports encrypted files]
      (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=58e6235007e6761fb9734b942ecff94bf4e9ba68)
    • [New seek functions for mpc.el]
      (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=5bc966dfdae62cbcb5698f77adffada4fbf445d7)
    • [EasyPG assistant - new option epa-replace-original-text]
      (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=ebad964b3afbe5ef77085be94cf566836450c74c)
  • emacs-devel
    • [Should setqs with missing final assignments give warnings?]
      (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg01949.html)
    • [Can BBDB3 be included in Emacs core?]
      (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg01888.html)
    • [Continued discussion about project.el]
      (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg00525.html)
    • [Working with rectangular regions]
      (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg02031.html)
    • [Possible changes to release schedule?]
      (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg01819.html)
    • [Continued discussion about dynamic loading]
      (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg00436.html)

Links from [reddit.com/r/emacs] (http://reddit.com/r/emacs/new), [Hacker
News]
(https://hn.algolia.com/?query=emacs&sort=byDate&prefix&page=0&dateRange=all&type=story),
[planet.emacsen.org] (http://planet.emacsen.org), [Youtube]
(https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=emacs&search_sort=video_date_uploaded),
the [Emacs commit log]
(http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?showmsg=1), the changes
to the [Emacs NEWS file]
(http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/etc/NEWS), and
[emacs-devel] (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11)

[Past Emacs News round-ups]
(http://sachachua.com/blog/category/emacs-news)

* Re: 2015-11-23 Emacs News
@ 2015-11-24 17:47 ` JJ Asghar
From: JJ Asghar @ 2015-11-24 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

* Re: 2015-11-23 Emacs News
@ 2015-11-28 18:45   ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2015-11-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

JJ Asghar <jjasghar@gmail.com> writes:

Hello, JJ!

>> [Past Emacs News round-ups]
>> (http://sachachua.com/blog/category/emacs-news)
> Just wanted to say thank you to Sacha for this. This is a great way to
> get a digest for a newbie like me on how the community is doing.

Hat-tip to John Wiegley for the nudge! =) I wasn't sure how useful it
would be considering people could just read Planet Emacsen, Reddit,
etc. Still, might as well take advantage of my speed-reading, and it
gives me a good excuse to keep an eye on the awesome stuff going on out
there!

Sacha

* Re: 2015-11-23 Emacs News
@ 2015-11-28 18:56     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-11-28 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sacha Chua; +Cc: emacs-tangents

> Hat-tip to John Wiegley for the nudge! =) I wasn't sure how useful it would
> be considering people could just read Planet Emacsen, Reddit, etc. Still,
> might as well take advantage of my speed-reading, and it gives me a good
> excuse to keep an eye on the awesome stuff going on out there!

But many of us don't keep up with every service (I rarely, if ever, read
Reddit), because there are too many information sources to keep track of.
Having a targeted digest like this is a very valuable service for some of us!

John

* Re: 2015-11-23 Emacs News
@ 2015-11-28 21:52     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-11-28 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sacha Chua; +Cc: emacs-tangents

On 2015-11-28, at 19:45, Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com> wrote:

> JJ Asghar <jjasghar@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hello, JJ!
>
>>> [Past Emacs News round-ups]
>>> (http://sachachua.com/blog/category/emacs-news)
>> Just wanted to say thank you to Sacha for this. This is a great way to
>> get a digest for a newbie like me on how the community is doing.

+1.  It is easier to org-capture an email than a webpage for me (I read
Planet Emacsen mainly on my phone when commuting).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University