unofficial mirror of emacs-tangents@gnu.org
* 2016-01-10 Emacs News
@ 2016-01-11 14:34 Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2016-01-11 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

• Configuration:
  • [Doing Away with Autosave Files] (http://irreal.org/blog/?p=4867)
  • [Define context-aware keys in Emacs]
    (http://endlessparentheses.com/define-context-aware-keys-in-emacs.html?source=rss)
  • [Smart text templates with yasnippet]
    (http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/smart-text-templates-with-yasnippet/)
  • [Disable tree-ification of Ctrl Left-Click Menu]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zrvd7/disable_treeification_of_ctrl_leftclick_menu/)
  • [ThemeCreator] (https://mswift42.github.io/themecreator/#)
• Navigation:
  • [Better fuzzy matching support in Ivy]
    (http://oremacs.com/2016/01/06/ivy-flx/)
  • [Make emacs remember position where last self-insert-command
    happened]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/40g130/make_emacs_remember_position_where_last/):
    consider save-place or goto-chg
  • [Ivy is now available in Spacemacs]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/407q2c/ivy_is_now_available_in_spacemacs/)
• Org:
  • [Changing clock timestamps from org mode's agenda view
    (org-clock-convenience.el)]
    (https://github.com/dfeich/org-clock-convenience) ([Reddit]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/407z54/changing_clock_timestamps_from_org_modes_agenda/))
  • [noob: org-mode custom Latex/PDF export custom style.]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zcr43/nooborgmode_custom_latexpdf_export_custom_style/)
  • [Plugin for bidirectional org-mode sync with RTM - anyone working on
    it?]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zb362/plugin_for_bidirectional_orgmode_sync_with_rtm/)
• Coding:
  • [Git gutter tip] (http://blog.binchen.org/posts/git-gutter-tip.html)
  • [TIL: ediff-revision]
    (http://puntoblogspot.blogspot.com/2016/01/til-ediff-revision.html)
  • [Store your compile calls for immediate retrieval:
    compilation-bookmarks]
    (https://github.com/edt-devel/compilation-bookmarks) ([Reddit]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/40awsw/store_your_compile_calls_for_immediate_retrieval/))
  • [Setup for JavaScript development]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/402hbk/setup_for_javascript_development/)
  • [List of projects in initial buffer]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zvtxo/list_of_projects_in_initial_buffer/)
  • [Narrow to embedded CSS and JavaScript of a HTML file]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zvezh/narrow_to_embedded_css_and_javascript_of_a_html/)
• Emacs Lisp:
  • [mrr-auto-replace] (http://mbork.pl/2016-01-09_mrr-auto-replace):
    multi-replace regex
  • [Buttercup 1.3 released]
    (http://blog.jorgenschaefer.de/2016/01/buttercup-13-released.html):
    Emacs Lisp behaviour-driven tests
• Emacs development:
  • [Attempting to figure emacs long lines issues]
    (https://github.com/codygman/figure-out-emacs-long-lines-issue)
    ([Reddit]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/405a2l/attempting_to_figure_emacs_long_lines_issues/))
  • [A proposal for removing obsolete Emacs packages | Hacker News]
    (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10878618)
  • [Please do not delete this commented-out version | Hacker News]
    (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10839146)
  • [Let users disable unsafe signal handling code]
    (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=989bcc77ab576d7a83cb0194a9fc73ce51939042)
  • [Discussion about possibly filtering M-x]
    (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg00563.html)
  • [Changing the default keybinding for tags-loop-continue]
    (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg00689.html)
  • [Proposal for emacsclient and opening a file at a specific line]
    (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg00542.html)
  • [Continuing discussion of new Emacs homepage]
    (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg00486.html)
  • [find-file-project]
    (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg00387.html)
  • [Overriding MS Windows key combination]
    (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg00361.html)
• Conversion:
  • [Pitfalls moving from Vim to Evil?]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zo645/pitfalls_moving_from_vim_to_evil/)
  • [Would you recommend spacemacs to a non-vim user?]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zhf1l/would_you_recommend_spacemacs_to_a_nonvim_user/)
  • [Would you tell 20 year old you now to pick up and learn Emacs?]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zh6uz/would_you_tell_20_year_old_you_now_to_pick_up_and/)
• Other:
  • [How to use Gnus Group Topics efficiently]
    (http://blog.binchen.org/posts/how-to-use-gnus-group-topics-efficiently.html)
  • [Realtime markdown preview as you type with Eww]
    (https://github.com/niku/realtime-preview.el) ([Reddit]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/40bj5c/realtime_markdown_preview_as_you_type_with_eww/))
  • [Emacs goes Windows: get a start menu with all your packages]
    (https://github.com/lujun9972/el-start-menu) ([Reddit]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/408la4/emacs_goes_windows_get_a_start_menu_with_all_your/))
  • [reykjavik theme, a theme with low saturated colors and a dark green
    background.] (https://github.com/mswift42/reykjavik-theme) ([Reddit]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/406y90/reykjavik_theme_a_theme_with_low_saturated_colors/))
  • [Now Emacs Lisp is represented in the Github Showcase pages!]
    (https://github.com/showcases/text-editors) ([Reddit]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zsdu1/now_emacs_lisp_is_represented_in_the_github/))
  • [How I use Emacs (by MJ Wall)]
    (http://mjwall.com/blog/2013/10/04/how-i-use-emacs/) ([Reddit]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zoejt/how_i_use_emacs_by_mj_wall/))
  • [Just a guy showing of his GNU/Linux-fu and having fun with emacs
    (2:04:44)] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2b3-Guej0) ([Reddit]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3zfwwb/just_a_guy_showing_of_his_gnulinuxfu_and_having/))
  • [Spacemacs 0.105 released: new website and layouts system]
    (https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/3ze6gf/spacemacs_0105_released_new_website_and_layouts/)
• New packages:
  • anybar <http://melpa.org/#/anybar>: Control AnyBar from Emacs
  • bitbake <http://melpa.org/#/bitbake>: Running bitbake from emacs
  • caseformat <http://melpa.org/#/caseformat>: Format based letter case
    converter
  • config-parser <http://melpa.org/#/config-parser>: a library for
    parsing config file
  • elscreen-buffer-group <http://melpa.org/#/elscreen-buffer-group>:
    elscreen buffer group
  • mexican-holidays <http://melpa.org/#/mexican-holidays>: Mexico
    holidays for Emacs calendar.
  • multishell <https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/multishell.html>: manage
    interaction with multiple local and remote shells
  • projectile-sift <http://melpa.org/#/projectile-sift>: Run a sift
    with Projectile
  • prompt-text <http://melpa.org/#/prompt-text>: Various information in
    minibuffer prompt
  • reykjavik-theme <http://melpa.org/#/reykjavik-theme>: Theme with a
    dark background.
  • tldr <http://melpa.org/#/tldr>: tldr client for Emacs

Links from [reddit.com/r/emacs] (http://reddit.com/r/emacs/new),
[/r/orgmode] (http://reddit.com/r/orgmode), [Hacker News]
(https://hn.algolia.com/?query=emacs&sort=byDate&prefix&page=0&dateRange=all&type=story),
[planet.emacsen.org] (http://planet.emacsen.org), [Youtube]
(https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=emacs&search_sort=video_date_uploaded),
the [Emacs commit log]
(http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?showmsg=1), the changes
to the [Emacs NEWS file]
(http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/etc/NEWS), and
[emacs-devel] (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01).

[Past Emacs News round-ups]
(http://sachachua.com/blog/category/emacs-news)

* Re: 2016-01-10 Emacs News
@ 2016-01-13 21:45 Brian Burns
From: Brian Burns @ 2016-01-13 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sacha, emacs-tangents

Hi Sacha, I love these news roundups - I always find something interesting
in them.

Would it be possible to make the links all on one line, or else change the
spacing a bit? It's a little hard to read when they get wrapped around,
like this -

http://i.imgur.com/9J38hxe.png

Best,
Brian

* Re: 2016-01-10 Emacs News
@ 2016-01-14 17:02 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2016-01-14 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

* Brian Burns <bburns.km@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be possible to make the links all on one line, or else change the
> spacing a bit? It's a little hard to read when they get wrapped around,
> like this -

Sacha's URLs are not separated by line-breaks. It must be your view
tool which inserts line-breaks in-between the URLs.

--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are

* Re: 2016-01-10 Emacs News
@ 2016-01-15  1:23 ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2016-01-15  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Burns; +Cc: emacs-tangents

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Brian Burns <bburns.km@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sacha, I love these news roundups - I always find something interesting
> in them.

Thanks!

> Would it be possible to make the links all on one line, or else change the
> spacing a bit? It's a little hard to read when they get wrapped around,
> like this -

Mmm... I think Org's ASCII export automatically wraps text. I'll try it
with org-ascii-text-width set to a suitably high number next time, and I'll
ignore Gnus' complaining about long lines. Alternatively, maybe you'll
prefer the HTML version at http://sachachua.com/blog/category/emacs-news or
the one that Mailchimp will deliver if you sign up at
http://eepurl.com/bFGma1 . We'll see how things work out next week! =)

Sacha

* Re: 2016-01-10 Emacs News
@ 2016-01-15 22:39 Brian Burns
From: Brian Burns @ 2016-01-15 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devnull, emacs-tangents

Yeah, it's something to do with how org exports to html - I follow the list
on the website, e.g.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-tangents/2016-01/threads.html#00013
- someday I'll get gnus set up to follow the lists there.

    <pre>• Configuration:
      • [Doing Away with Autosave Files] (<a  rel="nofollow" href="
http://irreal.org/blog/?p=4867">http://irreal.org/blog/?p=4867</a>)
      • [Define context-aware keys in Emacs]

    (<a  rel="nofollow" href="
http://endlessparentheses.com/define-context-aware-keys-in-emacs.html?source=rss
">
http://endlessparentheses.com/define-context-aware-keys-in-emacs.html?source=rss
</a>)
http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/smart-text-templates-with-yasnippet/</a>)

@ 2016-01-16  8:05   ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2016-01-16  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sacha Chua; +Cc: Brian Burns, emacs-tangents

Somewhat relatedly - is there a way to switch to an orgmode-view of a
message in Gnus?

--
( Dr Benjamin Slade . b.slade@utah.edu . http://www.jnanam.net/slade )
 ( Linguistics . University of Utah )

* Re: 2016-01-10 Emacs News
@ 2016-01-18 19:14     ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2016-01-18 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

Benjamin Slade <slade@jnanam.net> writes:

> Somewhat relatedly - is there a way to switch to an orgmode-view of a
> message in Gnus?

Hmm, I usually just post the ASCII export instead of attaching the Org
Mode bit as well. I'll try attaching an Org Mode buffer to this week's
news and we can see whether that works out for people. =)

Sacha

* Re: 2016-01-10 Emacs News
@ 2016-01-18 22:58       ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2016-01-18 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com> writes:

> Benjamin Slade <slade@jnanam.net> writes:
>
>> Somewhat relatedly - is there a way to switch to an orgmode-view of a
>> message in Gnus?
>
> Hmm, I usually just post the ASCII export instead of attaching the Org
> Mode bit as well. I'll try attaching an Org Mode buffer to this week's
> news and we can see whether that works out for people. =)
>
> Sacha

Just checked out the latest one you sent. The orgmode version works
quite nicely in Gnus.  Thanks!

--Ben