unofficial mirror of emacs-tangents@gnu.org
From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
To: emacs-tangents@gnu.org
Subject: Re: A Zine/Newsletter for ELPA
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:55:16 +0000	[thread overview]

> I have recently been thinking if creating a little monthly±n zine
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zine) or newsletter for {GNU,NonGNU} ELPA
> would be a nice idea.  Somewhere where new packages and releases can not
> only be announced but also commented on and "reviewed".  Perhaps also a
> place where people can post ideas for packages or where abandoned
> packages can find new maintainers.  Basically anything on the topic of
> Emacs packages, in one package.
>
> Starting and organising such a project doesn't sound easy, and I don't
> know if it is worth it to begin with.  I am wondering if anyone else
> things this is a good idea and would be interested in participating to
> initiate something more concrete?

I'd like to bring this topic up again.  The first step would be to set
bounds and some time schedule.  The technical decisions should follow
from this.  My suggestion would be to publish a little article on either
a 1/2, 1 or 2-monthly basis*, with three regular sections:

* New packages

  Mentioning and introducing new packages that have been added to GNU
  and NonGNU ELPA.

* Interesting Updates

  Briefly listing packages that have some major changes that would make
  it worth taking a look at a package again.

* Misc. Section

  Other irregular points like people suggesting package ideas,
  co-maintainers needed for packages, news from Emacs/ELPA maintainers
  or anything else like that.

I'd like to create a group on Sourcehut to manage the site and provide a
separate mailing list.  Ping me if interested.

*: Perhaps it doesn't have to be periodic, and we would instead just
   release a new edition whenever we have enough to post?

--
Philip Kaludercic