* gnus with bbdb article display problem
@ 2012-03-16 20:27 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2012-03-16 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I don't update emacs that I use for reading mail (with gnus) very
often, I just did that today.

Unfortunately now when pressing RET in the summary buffer instead of
having the article displayed in the lower window, the BBDB buffer is
displayed instead.

I haven't changed my gnus/bbdb settings in a few years, so this is
due to something that changed in emacs.

Here are my bbdb related settings in .gnus.el:

  (require 'bbdb)
  (bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)
  (add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-gnus)
  (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-define-all-aliases)
  (setq bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches 0)
  (setq bbdb-use-pop-up nil)
  (setq bbdb-pop-up-target-lines 3)
  (setq bbdb-offer-save 1)
  (setq bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t)
  (setq bbdb-dwim-net-address-allow-redundancy t)

This might be something that would hit other people when emacs is released...

* Re: gnus with bbdb article display problem
@ 2012-03-22 18:35 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-03-22 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@gnu.org> writes:

> Unfortunately now when pressing RET in the summary buffer instead of
> having the article displayed in the lower window, the BBDB buffer is
> displayed instead.

I don't use bbdb, so I can't debug this.  Could you try to add a
`debug-on-entry' on whatever bbdb function is popping up the bbdb buffer
(or something), and then we may see what's causing this?

* Re: gnus with bbdb article display problem
@ 2012-04-03 12:55   ` Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2012-04-03 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@gnu.org> writes:
  >> Unfortunately now when pressing RET in the summary buffer instead of
  >> having the article displayed in the lower window, the BBDB buffer is
  >> displayed instead.

  > I don't use bbdb, so I can't debug this.  Could you try to add a
  > `debug-on-entry' on whatever bbdb function is popping up the bbdb buffer
  > (or something), and then we may see what's causing this?

Hi Lars,

I can reproduce this. And I don't know how to debug this since it's not
an error.

It happens on collection of new emails by bbdb. When RET is hit in
summary buffer, the article is displayed as normal but bbdb buffer
covers summary buffer. If I press SPC it bbdb removes the buffer and
pops up the question "Add address xxx to "yyy"? (y or n)". If I press
"q" bbdb disappears but "-> " in minibuffer stays and some funny stuff
starts happening. Gnus shortcuts are not working properly anymore and
bbdb questions popup till I hit C-g several times.

Any ideas?

I've got this in my bbdb config:

(setq
 bbdb-check-zip-codes-p nil
 bbdb-default-area-code +31
 bbdb-default-country "Netherlands"
 bbdb-offer-save 1                        ;; 1 means save-without-asking
 bbdb-use-pop-up nil                        ;; allow popups for addresses
 bbdb-electric-p t                        ;; be disposable with SPC
 bbdb-popup-target-lines  1               ;; very small
 bbdb-dwim-net-address-allow-redundancy nil ;; always use full name
 bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches 5       ;; show name-mismatches 5 secs
					; bbdb-always-add-address nil                ;; add new addresses to existing...contacts automatically
 bbdb-canonicalize-redundant-nets-p t     ;; x@foo.bar.cx => x@bar.cx
 bbdb-completion-type nil                 ;; complete on anything
 bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t       ;; cycle through matches
 bbdb-message-caching-enabled t           ;; be fast
 bbdb-use-alternate-names t               ;; use AKA
 bbdb-elided-display t                    ;; single-line addresses
 ;; auto-create addresses
 bbdb/mail-auto-create-p	'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook
 bbdb/news-auto-create-p	'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook
 bbdb-ignore-some-messages-alist '(
                                   ( "From" . "no.?reply\\|DAEMON\\|daemon\\|facebookmail\\|twitter\\|gmane\\|reply.github")
                                   ( "To"   . "googlegroups\\|r-help\\|ess-help\\|r-project\\|mozdev\\|manipulatr\\|Conkeror")
                                   ( "Cc"   . "r-help\\|ess-help\\|r-project\\|mozdev\\|manipulatr\\|Conkeror")
                                   ( "Subject". "\\[R\\]\\|manipulatr\\|Conkeror")
                                   ( "Newsgroups" . "gmane"))
 bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers nil
 ;; auto-create notes
 bbdb-notice-hook (quote (bbdb-auto-notes-hook))
 bbdb-auto-notes-alist  (quote (("To"
                                 ("ess" . "ESS")
                                 ("spinuvit" . "Personal mail"))
                                ("From"
                                 ("eur.nl" company "Erasmus University Rotterdam")
                                 ("Organization" (".*" company 0 nil))
                                 )))
 bbdb-auto-notes-ignore (quote (("Organization" . "^Gatewayed from\\\\|^Source only"))) ;; ignores only single field
 bbdb-auto-notes-ignore-all nil  ;; looks in whole message
 )

GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

Ma Gnus v.04 as from 28th of February and the most recent head, both
have this behavior.

Vitalie.

* Re: gnus with bbdb article display problem
@ 2012-04-07  3:25   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2012-04-07  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Dan Nicolaescu <dann@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately now when pressing RET in the summary buffer instead of
>> having the article displayed in the lower window, the BBDB buffer is
>> displayed instead.
>
> I don't use bbdb, so I can't debug this.  Could you try to add a
> `debug-on-entry' on whatever bbdb function is popping up the bbdb buffer
> (or something), and then we may see what's causing this?

I updated bbdb to 2.35 and the problem went away...
Thanks

        --dan

* Re: gnus with bbdb article display problem
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-04-10 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitalie Spinu; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit@gmail.com> writes:

> It happens on collection of new emails by bbdb. When RET is hit in
> summary buffer, the article is displayed as normal but bbdb buffer
> covers summary buffer. If I press SPC it bbdb removes the buffer and
> pops up the question "Add address xxx to "yyy"? (y or n)". If I press
> "q" bbdb disappears but "-> " in minibuffer stays and some funny stuff
> starts happening. Gnus shortcuts are not working properly anymore and
> bbdb questions popup till I hit C-g several times.
>
> Any ideas?

Have you tried upgrading bbdb?

* Re: gnus with bbdb article display problem
@ 2012-04-18 17:05       ` Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2012-04-18 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

Sorry for late reply. I've only now found time to upgrade to the latest
bbdb 2.36. The problem persisted. Then I removed the following lines
form my config

(setq
  bbdb-use-pop-up nil                        ;; allow popups for addresses
  bbdb-electric-p t                        ;; be disposable with SPC
)

and the issue went away. So I consider it solved :)

Thanks.