* How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-11-15 17:39 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

AFAIK, this issue was left undecided.  I see different people use
different methods, and I think we should decide on a single way that
we will recommend.

Alternatives:

  . just mention the bug number (as in "#12345") somewhere in the
    commit log message

  ' mention the bug number in the first line (a.k.a. "summary") of the
    commity log message

  . add a separate line saying "Fixes bug#12345" or "Fixes debbugs:12345"

  . anything else I didn't think about

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-11-15 19:34 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-11-15 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>   . anything else I didn't think about

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-09/msg00304.html

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-11-15 23:08   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-11-15 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

PS surely this is de facto decided by the 1000+ uses of "Fixes: debbugs:###"
that were generated in the conversion.

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-11-16  2:00     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-11-16  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

> PS surely this is de facto decided by the 1000+ uses of "Fixes: debbugs:###"

And in fact this is exactly what you get if you use log-edit-insert-changelog
in the same normal way as ever, so AFAICS nothing has changed here.
Just keep doing what you were doing and it will all Just Work.

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-11-16  3:45     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-16  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 18:08:00 -0500
>

> PS surely this is de facto decided by the 1000+ uses of "Fixes: debbugs:###"
> that were generated in the conversion.

The conversion did quite a few atrocities, and we don't have to get
along if we don't want to.

In this case, I'm not too opposed to that way, but we should still
decide and ask everyone to follow it.  As you can see, not all of us
do currently.

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-11-16  3:48       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-16  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 21:00:41 -0500
>
> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
> > PS surely this is de facto decided by the 1000+ uses of "Fixes: debbugs:###"
>
> And in fact this is exactly what you get if you use log-edit-insert-changelog

I don't use it.

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-11-16  9:29       ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2014-11-16  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Hello.

> 16 nov 2014 kl. 03:00 skrev Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>:
>
> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>> PS surely this is de facto decided by the 1000+ uses of "Fixes: debbugs:###"
>
> And in fact this is exactly what you get if you use log-edit-insert-changelog
> in the same normal way as ever, so AFAICS nothing has changed here.
> Just keep doing what you were doing and it will all Just Work.

I did and it did not Just Work, there where no Fixes: header inserted, I inserted it manually.
Is your default different from mine :-)?

	Jan D.

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-11-16 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan D.; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

>>> PS surely this is de facto decided by the 1000+ uses of "Fixes: debbugs:###"
>>
>> And in fact this is exactly what you get if you use log-edit-insert-changelog
>> in the same normal way as ever, so AFAICS nothing has changed here.
>> Just keep doing what you were doing and it will all Just Work.
>
> I did and it did not Just Work, there where no Fixes: header inserted,
> I inserted it manually.
> Is your default different from mine :-)?

Sometimes I get the Fixes: line when I `log-edit-insert-changelog', and
sometimes I don't.  I haven't tried to chase down why it behaves
erratically.

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-11-16 19:26         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-11-16 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> And in fact this is exactly what you get if you use log-edit-insert-changelog
>
> I don't use it.

Burn the heretic! ;)

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-11-29 21:50     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-11-29 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

AFAICS this discussion didn't make a conclusion, so expect to see an
increasing variety of styles used, making it harder to use the
information.

* Re: How to reference bug numbers in commit messages
@ 2014-12-01  9:36       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-12-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel-mXXj517/zsQ

Glenn Morris wrote:
> AFAICS this discussion didn't make a conclusion, so expect to see an
> increasing variety of styles used, making it harder to use the
> information.

I don't know if this pertains to the discussion, but I was surprised by
the nice integration between commit messages and the bug tracker of GitHub:

https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-via-commit-messages/

Does that/should that exist for Emacs as well?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban