* Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-10 21:01 Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2013-06-10 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

wisent.texi and bovine.texi contain references to the "grammar-fw"
manual -- line 1580 in wisent.texi, and line 85 in bovine.texi -- but it
is neither in trunk nor the (latest) Emacs release tarball.  The HTML
builds of the bovine and wisent manuals on gnu.org contain links to
grammar-fw which are broken:
e.g. <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/wisent.html>
has a link "Semantic Grammar Framework Manual" (in section 4) to
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/grammar-fw.html#Top>,
which returns a 404.

So where is grammar-fw.texi?  Did the GNU eat it?

--Aidan

* Re: Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-11 17:05 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-11 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aidan Gauland; +Cc: Eric Ludlam, David Engster, emacs-devel

Aidan Gauland wrote:

> wisent.texi and bovine.texi contain references to the "grammar-fw"
> manual -- line 1580 in wisent.texi, and line 85 in bovine.texi -- but it
> is neither in trunk nor the (latest) Emacs release tarball.

It's one of the (several?) CEDET manuals that has never been part of
Emacs. I can add it, if that is appropriate (David, Eric?).

* Re: Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-11 19:48   ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2013-06-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eric Ludlam, Aidan Gauland, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris writes:
> Aidan Gauland wrote:
>
>> wisent.texi and bovine.texi contain references to the "grammar-fw"
>> manual -- line 1580 in wisent.texi, and line 85 in bovine.texi -- but it
>> is neither in trunk nor the (latest) Emacs release tarball.
>
> It's one of the (several?) CEDET manuals that has never been part of
> Emacs. I can add it, if that is appropriate (David, Eric?).

Not sure about that. I was never fond of the plethora of different info
files in CEDET. I'd rather integrate grammar-fw in one of the other
manuals, but I'm not sure where. Maybe in semantic.texi?

-David

* Re: Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-11 20:29     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-11 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Eric Ludlam; +Cc: Aidan Gauland

David Engster wrote:

> I'd rather integrate grammar-fw in one of the other manuals, but I'm
> not sure where. Maybe in semantic.texi?

I agree that is a better idea. You would know better than I which file
is the best place to put it.

* Re: Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-19  9:42       ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2013-06-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Eric Ludlam, David Engster

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> David Engster wrote:
>
>> I'd rather integrate grammar-fw in one of the other manuals, but I'm
>> not sure where. Maybe in semantic.texi?
>
> I agree that is a better idea. You would know better than I which file
> is the best place to put it.

In the meantime, where is the file upstream? cedet.sourceforge.net says
the latest version of CEDET is 1.1, but `cedet-version' in Emacs 24.3.1
reports 2.0.

* Re: Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-19 16:05         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-19 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aidan Gauland; +Cc: emacs-devel

Aidan Gauland wrote:

>>> I'd rather integrate grammar-fw in one of the other manuals, but I'm
[...]
> In the meantime, where is the file upstream?

I guess

http://cedet.bzr.sourceforge.net/bzr/cedet/code/trunk/files/head%3A/doc/texi/semantic/

* Re: Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-19 19:35           ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2013-06-19 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eric M. Ludlam, Aidan Gauland, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris writes:

> [...]
>> In the meantime, where is the file upstream?
>
> I guess
>
> http://cedet.bzr.sourceforge.net/bzr/cedet/code/trunk/files/head%3A/doc/texi/semantic/

Yes. CEDET 2.0 is the version that ships with Emacs 24.3. There's no
separate release.

We're not actually sure if it makes sense to further release stand-alone
versions of CEDET. It would sure be nice to have them, but it's quite
some work and at least I think there are more important things to
do. People who don't want to upgrade their Emacs but still want an
up-to-date CEDET should simply use the version from bzr, which is
usually fairly stable.

Regarding merging the grammar-fw manual into the Semantic manual, I'd
like to hear Eric's opinion first, but he's currently busy.

-David

* Re: Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-20  1:10     ` Eric M. Ludlam
From: Eric M. Ludlam @ 2013-06-20  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, Aidan Gauland, emacs-devel, Eric Ludlam

On 06/11/2013 03:48 PM, David Engster wrote:
> Glenn Morris writes:
>> Aidan Gauland wrote:
>>
>>> wisent.texi and bovine.texi contain references to the "grammar-fw"
>>> manual -- line 1580 in wisent.texi, and line 85 in bovine.texi -- but it
>>> is neither in trunk nor the (latest) Emacs release tarball.
>>
>> It's one of the (several?) CEDET manuals that has never been part of
>> Emacs. I can add it, if that is appropriate (David, Eric?).
>
> Not sure about that. I was never fond of the plethora of different info
> files in CEDET. I'd rather integrate grammar-fw in one of the other
> manuals, but I'm not sure where. Maybe in semantic.texi?

Hi,

   A similar topic came up once before many years ago, and I had tried
merging some of the Semantic manuals together.  If I remember, the
subsubsection levels got too deep, and my lack of texi skills led me
somewhere I wasn't sure how to fix.

   The grammar-fw.texi file goes best with bovine.texi and wisent.texi -
the two grammar modes in Semantic, but merging those 3 doesn't seem
quite right to me.  The semantic.texi manual refers to the other manuals
and has the 'internals' - a description the different files that make up
Semantic.   Since semantic-fw is about the tools used to write grammars
more than the grammars themselves, I think that including it as a
chapter in semantic.texi would be fine, and is similar in scope to
'internals' which is also about where to find code in Semantic.

Unfortunately, I think the organic growth of those manuals has resulted
in a strange high-level organization.  The simple change of @include-ing
grammar-fw.texi into semantic.texi will continue that trend.  If anyone
has thoughts on a better way to address what David points out as a
"plethora of different info files", it can only make things better.

Thanks
Eric

* Re: Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-24  2:21       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-24  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric M. Ludlam; +Cc: Eric Ludlam, Aidan Gauland, emacs-devel

In the meantime, is there any reason (copyright, etc) I should _not_
simply add the grammar-fw manual to Emacs? It's the easiest way to fix
the broken cross-refs that currently exist. We can merge whatever better
solution CEDET implements when you come up with it.

* Re: Missing texinfo manual
@ 2013-06-26  1:48         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-26  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric M. Ludlam; +Cc: Eric Ludlam, Aidan Gauland, emacs-devel

There's also (at least) semantic-appdev and semantic-langdev.
And anything those might in turn link to.
That really is quite a lot of manuals...

However, for the gnu.org website I decided to simply redirect to the
online CEDET version of those docs. That fixes the immediate issue.