* duplicate input methods: german-postfix and german-alt-postfix
@ 2007-12-09 14:27 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-12-09 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

the input methods german-postfix and german-alt-postfix are completely
identical, AFAICS.

I think it's confusing.  I'd suggest to either remove
german-alt-postfix (keep it as comment it in leim/quail/latin-alt.el?)
or add "identical to german-postfix" in the documentation of
german-alt-postfix.

BTW, my impression is that `latin-alt.el' was derived from
`latin-post.el' and modifications to most languages (input methods)
were changed, but german wasn't.  Is this historically correct?  Just
curious...

Bye, Reiner.

P.S.: I've sent this on Tue, 06 Nov 2007, but it didn't appear on the
list, AFAICS.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: duplicate input methods: german-postfix and german-alt-postfix
@ 2007-12-09 21:05 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-12-09 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: emacs-devel

> the input methods german-postfix and german-alt-postfix are completely
> identical, AFAICS.
>
> I think it's confusing.  I'd suggest to either remove
> german-alt-postfix (keep it as comment it in leim/quail/latin-alt.el?)
> or add "identical to german-postfix" in the documentation of
> german-alt-postfix.

AFAICS, the same applies to the `swedish-alt-postfix' and
`swedish-postfix' are also the same, which confused me when I started
to play with input methods.

* Re: duplicate input methods: german-postfix and german-alt-postfix
@ 2007-12-10 11:32 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2007-12-10 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <v9odd0gczi.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:

> Hi,
> the input methods german-postfix and german-alt-postfix are completely
> identical, AFAICS.

> I think it's confusing.  I'd suggest to either remove
> german-alt-postfix (keep it as comment it in leim/quail/latin-alt.el?)
> or add "identical to german-postfix" in the documentation of
> german-alt-postfix.

> BTW, my impression is that `latin-alt.el' was derived from
> `latin-post.el' and modifications to most languages (input methods)
> were changed, but german wasn't.  Is this historically correct?  Just
> curious...

I've found many other input methods (e.g. danish-postfix vs
danish-alt-postfix) are the same.

They have been there since latin-atl.el was committed by
Richard about 10 years ago.  I have no idea why the same
maps were introduced in that file.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: duplicate input methods: german-postfix and german-alt-postfix
@ 2007-12-10 13:12   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-12-10 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: Reiner Steib, emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@ni.aist.go.jp> writes:

> In article <v9odd0gczi.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> the input methods german-postfix and german-alt-postfix are completely
>> identical, AFAICS.
>
>> I think it's confusing.  I'd suggest to either remove
>> german-alt-postfix (keep it as comment it in leim/quail/latin-alt.el?)
>> or add "identical to german-postfix" in the documentation of
>> german-alt-postfix.
>
>> BTW, my impression is that `latin-alt.el' was derived from
>> `latin-post.el' and modifications to most languages (input methods)
>> were changed, but german wasn't.  Is this historically correct?  Just
>> curious...
>
> I've found many other input methods (e.g. danish-postfix vs
> danish-alt-postfix) are the same.

None of these input methods use the problematic characters as postfix.

Andreas.

* Re: duplicate input methods: german-postfix and german-alt-postfix
@ 2007-12-10 21:52     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-12-10 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Mathias Dahl, Kenichi Handa, emacs-devel

On Mon, Dec 10 2007, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Kenichi Handa <handa@ni.aist.go.jp> writes:
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> BTW, my impression is that `latin-alt.el' was derived from
>>> `latin-post.el' and modifications to most languages (input methods)
>>> were changed, but german wasn't.  Is this historically correct?  Just
>>> curious...
>>
>> I've found many other input methods (e.g. danish-postfix vs
>> danish-alt-postfix) are the same.

[Also `swedish-alt-postfix' and `swedish-postfix' as pointed out by Mathias.]

@ 2007-12-10 23:08   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-12-10 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: Reiner.Steib, emacs-devel

    I've found many other input methods (e.g. danish-postfix vs
    danish-alt-postfix) are the same.

    They have been there since latin-atl.el was committed by
    Richard about 10 years ago.  I have no idea why the same
    maps were introduced in that file.

TAKAHASHI Naoto <ntakahas@etl.go.jp> is the author of the file.
I don't know anything about it, but I suppose you know something.

* Re: duplicate input methods: german-postfix and german-alt-postfix
@ 2007-12-10 23:43     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2007-12-10 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Reiner.Steib, emacs-devel

In article <E1J1rjk-0004lZ-65@fencepost.gnu.org>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     I've found many other input methods (e.g. danish-postfix vs
>     danish-alt-postfix) are the same.

>     They have been there since latin-atl.el was committed by
>     Richard about 10 years ago.  I have no idea why the same
>     maps were introduced in that file.

> TAKAHASHI Naoto <ntakahas@etl.go.jp> is the author of the file.

I asked him, but he said he didn't write that file.  It
seems that the author at first copy latin-post.el to
latin-alt.el, then modified latin-alt.el without deleting
this line:

;; Author: TAKAHASHI Naoto <ntakahas@etl.go.jp>

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: duplicate input methods: german-postfix and german-alt-postfix
@ 2007-12-15 21:37       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-12-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: Reiner.Steib, emacs-devel

I am sorry that I didn't put in any information about the purpose of
that file.  10 years later I don't even remember seeing it before.

However, looking at it now and comparing it with latin-post.el, I
think I see the purpose.  It was simply to avoid certain inconvenient
combinations, such as those using comma, and those using multiple
slashes which make it impossible to enter a slash by typing //.

I will document that in the file.