* Narrow separator tool bar icon in Emacs 22?
@ 2006-01-21 16:34 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-21 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

in Emacs 21, the following code adds a *narrow* separator icon [1] and
an exit icon to the toolbar:

  (tool-bar-add-item "/tmp/separator" "sep" 'ignore :help "separator")
  (tool-bar-add-item "exit" "exit" 'bury-buffer)

In Emacs 22 (Gtk build), the separator icon is as broad as the other
icons.  Is it possible to have a narrow separator in Emacs 22?  How?

Bye, Reiner.

[1] The separator icon is attached.  It's sep.xpm from AUCTeX.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

[-- Attachment #2: sep.xpm from AUCTeX --]
[-- Type: image/x-xpixmap, Size: 223 bytes --]

* Re: Narrow separator tool bar icon in Emacs 22?
@ 2006-01-27 13:54 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2006-01-27 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Reiner Steib wrote:

>Hi,
>
>in Emacs 21, the following code adds a *narrow* separator icon [1] and
>an exit icon to the toolbar:
>
>  (tool-bar-add-item "/tmp/separator" "sep" 'ignore :help "separator")
>  (tool-bar-add-item "exit" "exit" 'bury-buffer)
>
>In Emacs 22 (Gtk build), the separator icon is as broad as the other
>icons.  Is it possible to have a narrow separator in Emacs 22?  How?

The way to make items of unequal width changed from GTK 2.2 to GTK 2.4
in an incompatible way.  So I can make your example work, but then we
would have to require GTK 2.4 or newer.  Maybe that isn't such a big
reuirement now that 2.8 is out.

    Jan D.

* Required GTK version (was: Narrow separator tool bar icon in Emacs 22?)
@ 2006-01-29 20:01   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-29 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 27 2006, Jan D. wrote:

> Reiner Steib wrote:
>>in Emacs 21, the following code adds a *narrow* separator icon [1] and
>>an exit icon to the toolbar: [...]
>>In Emacs 22 (Gtk build), the separator icon is as broad as the other
>>icons.  Is it possible to have a narrow separator in Emacs 22?  How?
>
> The way to make items of unequal width changed from GTK 2.2 to GTK
> 2.4 in an incompatible way.

Thanks for your explanation.

> So I can make your example work, but then we would have to require
> GTK 2.4 or newer.  Maybe that isn't such a big reuirement now that
> 2.8 is out.

I don't have a strong opinion on this.

FWIW, SuSE 9.2 (which is more than one year old) has GTK+ Version
2.4.9, SuSE 10.0 has GTK 2.8.  Which version of GTK is included in
Debian (stable)?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Required GTK version
@ 2006-01-29 21:10     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-01-29 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Fri, Jan 27 2006, Jan D. wrote:
>
>> The way to make items of unequal width changed from GTK 2.2 to GTK
>> 2.4 in an incompatible way.
>
> Thanks for your explanation.
>
>> So I can make your example work, but then we would have to require
>> GTK 2.4 or newer.  Maybe that isn't such a big reuirement now that
>> 2.8 is out.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion on this.
>
> FWIW, SuSE 9.2 (which is more than one year old) has GTK+ Version
> 2.4.9, SuSE 10.0 has GTK 2.8.  Which version of GTK is included in
> Debian (stable)?

What concern for Emacs 22 is the version of GTK+ in Debian stable?

* Re: Required GTK version
@ 2006-01-31 15:35       ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2006-01-31 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup wrote:

>Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>

>>On Fri, Jan 27 2006, Jan D. wrote:
>>

>>>The way to make items of unequal width changed from GTK 2.2 to GTK
>>>2.4 in an incompatible way.
>>>

>>Thanks for your explanation.
>>

>>>So I can make your example work, but then we would have to require
>>>GTK 2.4 or newer.  Maybe that isn't such a big reuirement now that
>>>2.8 is out.
>>>

>>I don't have a strong opinion on this.
>>
>>FWIW, SuSE 9.2 (which is more than one year old) has GTK+ Version
>>2.4.9, SuSE 10.0 has GTK 2.8.  Which version of GTK is included in
>>Debian (stable)?
>>

>What concern for Emacs 22 is the version of GTK+ in Debian stable?

I don't know, but perhaps Debian stable is a good distribution to look
at, since it contains stable (i.e. old :-) stuff?  Anyway, debian.org
lists Gtk+ 2.6.4 for stable, so I have bumped up the required version to
2.4.  The narrow separator example works now.

    Jan D.

* Re: Required GTK version
@ 2006-01-31 16:42       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-31 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 29 2006, David Kastrup wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> On Fri, Jan 27 2006, Jan D. wrote:
[...]
>>> So I can make your example work, but then we would have to require
>>> GTK 2.4 or newer.  Maybe that isn't such a big reuirement now that
>>> 2.8 is out.
>>
>> I don't have a strong opinion on this.
>>
>> FWIW, SuSE 9.2 (which is more than one year old) has GTK+ Version
>> 2.4.9, SuSE 10.0 has GTK 2.8.  Which version of GTK is included in
>> Debian (stable)?

I've been told that Debian stable has GTK 2.4.

> What concern for Emacs 22 is the version of GTK+ in Debian stable?

If Debian stable has GTK 2.4 it's probably hard to find a current
GNU/Linux distribution with an older GTK version.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)