* What to use for file lists from particular authors?
@ 2005-04-02 12:57 David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-04-02 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

If I have a CVS project and I want to have a list of all files a
particular author has touched (can you spell "copyright assignment"?),
what is a good way to do that?

Either working from a ChangeLog file, or possibly better just from the
CVS, would be appropriate.

I can't imagine others have not had that problem, but can't find
anything ready in Emacs.

* Re: What to use for file lists from particular authors?
@ 2005-04-02 17:58 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-04-02 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 14:57:54 +0200
>
> If I have a CVS project and I want to have a list of all files a
> particular author has touched (can you spell "copyright assignment"?),
> what is a good way to do that?
>
> Either working from a ChangeLog file, or possibly better just from the
> CVS, would be appropriate.
>
> I can't imagine others have not had that problem, but can't find
> anything ready in Emacs.

Are you looking for something like lisp/emacs-lisp/authors.el?  Or did
I misunderstand what you want?

* Re: What to use for file lists from particular authors?
@ 2005-04-02 18:25   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-04-02 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
>> Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 14:57:54 +0200
>>
>> If I have a CVS project and I want to have a list of all files a
>> particular author has touched (can you spell "copyright assignment"?),
>> what is a good way to do that?
>>
>> Either working from a ChangeLog file, or possibly better just from the
>> CVS, would be appropriate.
>>
>> I can't imagine others have not had that problem, but can't find
>> anything ready in Emacs.
>
> Are you looking for something like lisp/emacs-lisp/authors.el?  Or did
> I misunderstand what you want?

Yes, this looks quite similar to what I'd want.  Except that I am not
interested in the information for Emacs, but for AUCTeX, and the
"authors" command does not really appreciate a non-Emacs tree.

* Re: What to use for file lists from particular authors?
@ 2005-04-02 18:43     ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2005-04-02 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

* David Kastrup (2005-04-02) writes:

> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Are you looking for something like lisp/emacs-lisp/authors.el?  Or did
>> I misunderstand what you want?
>
> Yes, this looks quite similar to what I'd want.  Except that I am not
> interested in the information for Emacs, but for AUCTeX, and the
> "authors" command does not really appreciate a non-Emacs tree.

You already get quite a lot out of it if you remove the test for
src/emacs.c and probably the stanza about `authors-invalid-file-names'
at the end of the function.  It doesn't recognize the "patch by"
entries in the change logs, though.  This might be a feature but one
which you probably don't want for your current task.

--
Ralf

* Re: What to use for file lists from particular authors?
@ 2005-04-03 17:36       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-04-03 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 02 2005, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> It doesn't recognize the "patch by" entries in the change logs,
> though.  This might be a feature but one which you probably don't
> want for your current task.

We should probably fix those AUCTeX ChangeLog entries instead:

,----
| From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
| Subject: No "From so-and-so" in ChangeLog
| Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.devel
| Date: Mon Jan  3 05:32:01 2005 +0100
|
| Please do not *ever* write "From so-and-so" in a change log entry.  If
| someone else wrote the code you are installing, *always* put his name
| in the header line of the change.
|
| If the person did NOT write the code you are installing, then don't
| ever put something in ChangeLog which could give people the idea that
| he did!  If you want to mention who suggested an idea, or who reported
| a bug, always say explicitly "idea suggested by" or "bug reported by"
| so that there is no doubt ten years in the future.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,