* Suggested change to man/makefile.w32-in
@ 2004-10-24 19:45 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2004-10-24 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

There were one more problem with building info on w32 which I did not notice
first. It will currently only build when cmd.exe is the shell.

To get "make info" to work when MSYS is in the path (which makes "sh" the
shell for the makefile) the following change should be made to
"man/makefile.w32-in":

****Old:
info: $(INFO_TARGETS)
ifeq "$(SHELLTYPE)" "CMD"
 $(MULTI_INSTALL_INFO) --info-dir=$(infodir) $(INFO_TARGETS)

****New:
info: $(INFO_TARGETS)
ifeq "$(SHELLTYPE)" "CMD"
 $(MULTI_INSTALL_INFO) --info-dir=$(infodir) $(INFO_TARGETS)
else
 for file in $(INFO_TARGETS); do install-info --info-dir=$(infodir)
$${file}; done
endif

After this change (and with makeinfo from MSYS replaced with makeinfo from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/) "make info" will build ok.

Could this change be accepted? (I have not checked in any change.)

- Lennart

* Re: Suggested change to man/makefile.w32-in
@ 2004-10-24 20:50 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-10-24 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> There were one more problem with building info on w32 which I did not notice
> first. It will currently only build when cmd.exe is the shell.
>
> To get "make info" to work when MSYS is in the path (which makes "sh" the
> shell for the makefile) the following change should be made to
> "man/makefile.w32-in":
>
> ****Old:
> info: $(INFO_TARGETS)
> ifeq "$(SHELLTYPE)" "CMD"
>  $(MULTI_INSTALL_INFO) --info-dir=$(infodir) $(INFO_TARGETS)

In the version I have, that line is unconditional. I am pretty sure
that using ifeq will break the build in nmake anyway.

Is there still a problem with msys if you remove the ifeq line above?

* Re: Suggested change to man/makefile.w32-in
@ 2004-10-24 23:32   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2004-10-24 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

: > There were one more problem with building info on w32 which I did not
notice
: > first. It will currently only build when cmd.exe is the shell.
: >
:
: In the version I have, that line is unconditional. I am pretty sure
: that using ifeq will break the build in nmake anyway.

It is a typo by me, there is no ifeq line in the old version.

Could the ifeq line in the new version be written in a way that handles both
nmake and gmake?

: Is there still a problem with msys if you remove the ifeq line above?

Yes, multi-install-info.bat is treated as a sh script by MSYS (and that does
not work very well).

@ 2004-10-25  8:04     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-10-25  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> : Is there still a problem with msys if you remove the ifeq line above?
>
> Yes, multi-install-info.bat is treated as a sh script by MSYS (and that does
> not work very well).

Then it is msys sh that is broken. Even Cygwin bash knows how to run
Windows BAT files.

I think there is already a note in nt/INSTALL that you may need to run
make as "make SHELL=cmd.exe", so I don't think we need to to
anything. I don't want to put lots of conditionals in the makefile to
cope with all the broken ports of Posix shells that have ever been
ported to Windows.

* Re: Suggested change to man/makefile.w32-in
@ 2004-10-25  9:06       ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-10-25  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, Emacs Devel

Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:

> I don't want to put lots of conditionals in the makefile to
> cope with all the broken ports of Posix shells that have ever been
> ported to Windows.

Right.

And once we have a final release, most windoze users will download a
binary distribution anyway, so we shouldn't spend a lot of time on the
issue of refining the build process on windoze.

* Re: Suggested change to man/makefile.w32-in
@ 2004-10-25 15:54         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2004-10-25 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

: > I don't want to put lots of conditionals in the makefile to
: > cope with all the broken ports of Posix shells that have ever been
: > ported to Windows.
:
: Right.
:
: And once we have a final release, most windoze users will download a
: binary distribution anyway, so we shouldn't spend a lot of time on the
: issue of refining the build process on windoze.

Maybe not a lot of time, but it is essential that the build process is easy
on ms windows. This way more errors will be captured early.

I will try to bring this issues to the MSYS mailing list.

@ 2004-10-25 19:06       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2004-10-25 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

: Then it is msys sh that is broken. Even Cygwin bash knows how to run
: Windows BAT files.

I have told this on the ming-msys mailing list.

: I think there is already a note in nt/INSTALL that you may need to run
: make as "make SHELL=cmd.exe", so I don't think we need to to
: anything. I don't want to put lots of conditionals in the makefile to
: cope with all the broken ports of Posix shells that have ever been
: ported to Windows.

There is no such note in nt/INSTALL as far as I can see. I do not think I
have seen this note anywhere. It might be one of the reasons that so many
seem to complain it is difficult to build Emacs on ms windows.

If it really works using make SHELL=cmd.exe then maybe there should be a
notion in nt/INSTALL?

@ 2004-10-25 19:51         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-10-25 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> : I think there is already a note in nt/INSTALL that you may need to run
> : make as "make SHELL=cmd.exe"
>
> There is no such note in nt/INSTALL as far as I can see.

No I misremembered, it is in etc/PROBLEMS and is for different
symptoms than this one.

> If it really works using make SHELL=cmd.exe then maybe there should be a
> notion in nt/INSTALL?

I will add a note there as well.

* Re: Suggested change to man/makefile.w32-in
@ 2004-10-27 17:59           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2004-10-27 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Earnie Boyd, Emacs Devel