* OT:XML Schema Validation with Emacs
@ 2004-02-01  4:41 Steven T. Hatton
From: Steven T. Hatton @ 2004-02-01  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may be a bit OT for this list, but I believe it is vitally important and
Emacs related.  AFAIK, there is no way to validate an XML document against a
w3c XML Schema instance.  It is sometimes possible to convert xsd to dtd, and
validate against the resulting dtd.  This is, in general, a lossy conversion,
and is thus unsatisfactory.  More and more, it is becoming the case that an
xsd is used where a dtd has traditionally been used.  I find the
functionality I get with (X)Emacs and psgml superior to any other tool (free
or proprietary) for editing xml documents.  Without a dtd, that functionality
is not available.

I am aware of James Clarke's nXML http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=2061
but that only works with RELAX NG, which I have not encountered in the areas
I've be focusing. DocBook, Apache Ant, etc.

If any one has the skills, time, and inclination to look at this issue, I, for
one would be grateful.

STH

* Re: OT:XML Schema Validation with Emacs
@ 2004-02-01 11:24 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-02-01 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@globalsymmetry.com> writes:

> This may be a bit OT for this list, but I believe it is vitally important and
> Emacs related.  AFAIK, there is no way to validate an XML document against a
> w3c XML Schema instance.

See James Clark's nxml-mode which uses RELAX-NG schemas. Start by
reading the announcement at http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=2061
or go straight to http://www.thaiopensource.com/

There are also numerous tools on his website for validating against
RELAX-NG (externally, nxml-mode already does this in elisp) and
converting between RELAX-NG and DTDs and W3C, RELAX and TREX schemas.

* Re: OT:XML Schema Validation with Emacs
@ 2004-02-01 11:28 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-02-01 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I am aware of James Clarke's nXML http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=2061
> but that only works with RELAX NG, which I have not encountered in the areas
> I've be focusing. DocBook, Apache Ant, etc.

Sorry, I should have finished reading before replying. You already
know about nxml-mode, but it seems you don't know about James Clark's
other software, specifically Trang - a converter that can convert
between W3C xsd schemas and RELAX-NG. I'm pretty sure nxml-mode
includes a DocBook schema in the distribution already.