* cvs build error "cannot open loadfile: encoded-kb"
@ 2004-05-21 14:55 Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2004-05-21 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm currently unable to 'make bootstrap'.  I did a 'make realclean'
prior and also tried deleting the entire emacs tree and doing a fresh
get.  Anyone know what might be causing this?  Thanks.

Oh, I verified the file encoded-kb is in the lisp/international dir.

I'm building with latest version of mingw.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/src'
make - --unix -C ../lisp bootstrap
[Please ignore a syntax error on the next line - it is intentional]
Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp'
/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs /cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp; \
for file in calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus international languag
e mail mh-e net obsolete play progmodes term textmodes toolbar url; do \
   /cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp/../update-subdirs $file; \
done;
Directories: calc calendar emacs-lisp emulation eshell gnus international langua
ge mail mh-e net obsolete play progmodes term textmodes toolbar url
"./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoloa
d \
        --eval '(setq find-file-hooks nil \
                find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t \
                generated-autoload-file \
                  "/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' \
        -f batch-update-autoloads /cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp calc calendar emacs
-lisp emulation eshell gnus international language mail mh-e net obsolete play p
rogmodes term textmodes toolbar url
Cannot open load file: encoded-kb
Signal 127
make[1]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp'
make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

* Re: cvs build error "cannot open loadfile: encoded-kb"
@ 2004-05-21 16:46 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-05-21 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Peter Lee wrote:

> I'm building with latest version of mingw.
>

> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/src'

You are using Cygwin make, not mingw. Cygwin make is only suitable for
making Cygwin programs.

* Re: cvs build error "cannot open loadfile: encoded-kb"
@ 2004-05-21 18:16   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2004-05-21 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jason> Peter Lee wrote:
    >> I'm building with latest version of mingw.  make[1]: Leaving
    >> directory `/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/src'

    Jason> You are using Cygwin make, not mingw.

Correct.

    Jason> Cygwin make is only suitable for making Cygwin programs.

I dont think this is true.  I've used cygwin make + mingw gcc to build
emacs for a while now.  I use cygwin make to build a lot of
applications (none of which are dependent on cygwin or any other
cygwin tool).  Make parses a makefile, it doesn't create programs.
The reason I use cygwin make in this case is because mingw make chokes
parsing emacs makefiles.  They even ship it renamed to
mingw32-make.exe, so apparently even the authors consider this version
broken.

The error I'm getting is generated by a batch invocation of emacs.
"./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoloa
d \
        --eval '(setq find-file-hooks nil \
                find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t \
                generated-autoload-file \
                  "/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el")' \
        -f batch-update-autoloads /cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp calc calendar emacs
-lisp emulation eshell gnus international language mail mh-e net obsolete play p
rogmodes term textmodes toolbar url
Cannot open load file: encoded-kb

The function batch-update-autoloads in autoload.el is
failing... question is what's changed to cause this.

I can open emacs and do:
'M-: (update-directory-autoloads "/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp")'

and it completes successfully.  I did that for each of the specified
directories and it all worked.  The only thing I found that was a bit
suspect was the docstring for update-directory-autoloads which says
that passing multiple directories is discouraged.  So I'm not sure
what the error is, but after manually generating the autoloads I can
get on with the build.

Thanks.

* Re: cvs build error "cannot open loadfile: encoded-kb"
@ 2004-05-21 19:26     ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2004-05-21 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> I've used cygwin make + mingw gcc to build emacs for a while now.

Have you used cygwin make to build a CVS emacs?  It's never worked
for me.  OTOH, the make that's in MINGW MSYS works fine.  Cygwin's
make passes cygwin format pathnames to Emacs during the build, and Emacs
doesn't understand those pathnames.

> The reason I use cygwin make in this case is because mingw make
> chokes parsing emacs makefiles.

Again, that's not my experience.  I'm afraid I don't remember which
MSYS version I'm using, but the version of make that comes with it is
GNU Make version 3.79.1.

> I can open emacs and do:
> 'M-: (update-directory-autoloads "/cygdrive/e/cvs/emacs/lisp")'

Do you have the bit that maps cygwin filenames in your .emacs?  Can
you do that if you start emacs with emacs -nw?

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
The rich will do anything for the poor but get off their backs. - Karl Marx

* Re: cvs build error "cannot open loadfile: encoded-kb"
@ 2004-05-21 23:41     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-05-21 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

>     Jason> Cygwin make is only suitable for making Cygwin programs.
>
> Make parses a makefile, it doesn't create programs.

What make does essentially boils down to running programs with
arguments, which are often filenames generated by make. The reason
Cygwin make does not work (and has never worked except for a brief
period when we had cygpath hacks in the makefile that ended up
breaking builds on mingw make) for bootstrapping Emacs is that Cygwin
make generates Cygwin style paths, which Emacs recognizes, but only
through code in w32-fns.el which is not yet loaded during
bootstrapping.

> The reason I use cygwin make in this case is because mingw make
> chokes parsing emacs makefiles.

In what way?