* Calendar-mode and show-trailing-whitespace
@ 2013-05-07 19:02 chad
From: chad @ 2013-05-07 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org Development

I recently turned on show-trailing-whitespace by default (rather
than for just a few modes), as an experiment. One of the few rough
edges (to me) is calendar-mode.

Does anyone think that calendar-mode should bind show-trailing-whitespace
to nil?

~Chad

* Re: Calendar-mode and show-trailing-whitespace
@ 2013-05-07 19:09 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-05-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chad; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org Development

chad wrote:

> Does anyone think that calendar-mode should bind show-trailing-whitespace
> to nil?

I don't. I think that rather you should not enable
show-trailing-whitespace globally if you don't like the results.

* Re: Calendar-mode and show-trailing-whitespace
@ 2013-05-07 21:24   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-05-07 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: chad, emacs-devel@gnu.org Development

>> Does anyone think that calendar-mode should bind show-trailing-whitespace
>> to nil?
> I don't.  I think that rather you should not enable
> show-trailing-whitespace globally if you don't like the results.

FWIW I disagree.  Most people who enable show-trailing-whitespace
globally just do it because they like their files to be "whitespace
clean", and couldn't care less about "whitespace cleanliness" of
internally generated text as long as it doesn't make its way into
their files.

So I think it would be good to set show-trailing-whitespace to nil in
such packages known to output trailing whitespace in their
special buffers.

* Re: Calendar-mode and show-trailing-whitespace
@ 2013-05-10 17:16     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-05-10 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: chad, emacs-devel@gnu.org Development

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Most people who enable show-trailing-whitespace globally just do it
> because they like their files to be "whitespace clean", and couldn't
> care less about "whitespace cleanliness" of internally generated text
> as long as it doesn't make its way into their files.

(add-hook 'find-file-hook (lambda ()
          (setq-local show-trailing-whitespace t)))

Or someone who cares about whitespace can add a `files-only' option for
show-trailing-whitespace.