* Plain text with text properties
@ 2002-04-30 16:09 Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-04-30 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today a new user complained to me Emacs won't save text properties (TP)
(yes, the manual explains at length).

Proposal: When a user adds TPs to a plain text file Emacs must ask the
user whether he also wants to save TPs and if yes, Emacs can add the
enriched magic please.

I hope it is clear what I want to say.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o

* Re: Plain text with text properties
@ 2002-04-30 16:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-04-30 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> Proposal: When a user adds TPs to a plain text file Emacs must ask the
> user whether he also wants to save TPs and if yes, Emacs can add the
> enriched magic please.

You mean, without the user entering Enriched mode?

* Re: Plain text with text properties
@ 2002-04-30 18:02   ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-04-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> You mean, without the user entering Enriched mode?

Yes.

--

@ 2002-05-01  7:14 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-05-01  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Making Emacs save text properties in a useful way calls for a
substantial amount of work--just asking some questions is not enough
by itself.  Would you like to help work on it?

* Re: Plain text with text properties
@ 2002-05-01  8:26   ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-05-01  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Making Emacs save text properties in a useful way calls for a
> substantial amount of work--just asking some questions is not enough
> by itself.

It's a start.  If Emacs detects text properties in fundamental mode
recommending to switch to enriched mode (M-x enriched-mode RET) could
help; plus a link to the manual.  More isn't needed make the user pay
attention.

> Would you like to help work on it?

Personally I'm more interested in other areas (psgml and DocBook
resp. TEI support using speedbar; improving the usability of
po-mode.el).  Since my knowledge in programming is rather limited, it
takes time.  I think it will help to forward reports of new users (it
hard to convince them to write reports on their own).