* Frozen on first X display
@ 2003-05-19  7:29 Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2003-05-19  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs on the first display is blocked after a certain period of time
when I export and use a buffer via 'ssh -X' and 'gnuclient'.

Start Emacs on 'foo'.

Eval:

    (load "gnuserv-compat")
    (gnuserv-start)

Load some file and edit.

Connect from 'bar' to 'foo' and call 'gnuclient':

    ke@bar~> ssh -X foo
    ke@foo~> gnuclient .

Edit an XML file, start Gnus, or something like that, and after some
actions Emacs on display 'foo:0' is not able to accept key strokes;
it's "frozen".  One can "unfreeze" it, issuing a certain abort command
on the second display as follows:

    M-x server-start C-g              ; Don't press RET!

Affected system: SuSE Linux 8.2 i386 using Emacs from CVS trunk
(checkout by 2003-05-19 00:15 CEST; also affected Emacs from the
beginning of May, 2003; I didn't test any other version).

--
                                                         |      ,__o
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home)               |   (*)/'(*)

* Re: Frozen on first X display
@ 2003-05-19 14:44 ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2003-05-19 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> Emacs on the first display is blocked after a certain period of time
> when I export and use a buffer via 'ssh -X' and 'gnuclient'.

It also happens that the frame on the second display will freeze.  Or
both at the same time.  I was able to catch this error message:

    Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x36476)!