* Re: [mew-int 00832] Re: How to add some more charsets to mew?
       [not found] ` <20020414.235532.125902697.05@tats.iris.ne.jp>
@ 2002-04-15 10:12   ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2002-04-15 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

From: Tatsuya Kinoshita <tats@iris.ne.jp>
Subject: [mew-int 00832] Re: How to add some more charsets to mew?
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:55:32 +0900 (JST)

> On GNU Emacs 21.2, Mule-UCS 0.84 is very slow.  Debian's mule-ucs
> 0.84-11 has fixed this problem.  Debian's mule-ucs is available at:
>
>   http://packages.debian.org/mule-ucs

This is interesting, since some people already tried to debug that
without success.  Can you give more details, please?

    Werner

* Re: [mew-int 00832] Re: How to add some more charsets to mew?
@ 2002-04-15 21:17     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2002-04-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tats, emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> > On GNU Emacs 21.2, Mule-UCS 0.84 is very slow.  Debian's mule-ucs
> > 0.84-11 has fixed this problem.  Debian's mule-ucs is available at:
> >
> >   http://packages.debian.org/mule-ucs
>
> This is interesting, since some people already tried to debug that
> without success.  Can you give more details, please?

Dave Love had some success. He posted his patches to
gnu.emacs.sources and the mule@m17n.org mailing list on 29 March.
You even followed that up with a comment about Mule-UCS no longer
seeming to be maintained.

--
Jason Rumney

* Re: [mew-int 00832] Re: How to add some more charsets to mew?
@ 2002-04-16 13:17       ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2002-04-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tats, emacs-devel

> > > On GNU Emacs 21.2, Mule-UCS 0.84 is very slow.  Debian's mule-ucs
> > > 0.84-11 has fixed this problem.  Debian's mule-ucs is available at:
> > >
> > >   http://packages.debian.org/mule-ucs
> >
> > This is interesting, since some people already tried to debug that
> > without success.  Can you give more details, please?
>
> Dave Love had some success. He posted his patches to
> gnu.emacs.sources and the mule@m17n.org mailing list on 29 March.
> You even followed that up with a comment about Mule-UCS no longer
> seeming to be maintained.

Dave said he had *some* success.  The message above says that the
problem has been fixed.  This is not the same.

Currently, I don't have time to check the patches, so I've only
forwarded the message.

    Werner

* Re: [mew-int 00832] Re: How to add some more charsets to mew?
@ 2002-04-16 20:17       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-16 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: wl, tats, emacs-devel

Who WAS maintaining mule-UCS?

* Re: [mew-int 00832] Re: How to add some more charsets to mew?
@ 2002-04-16 21:28         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2002-04-16 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: wl, tats, emacs-devel

Hisashi Miyashita <himi@m17n.org>.

--
Jason Rumney

* [mew-int 00832] Re: How to add some more charsets to mew?
@ 2002-04-22 11:40 Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2002-04-22 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tats, emacs-devel

I got directed to this and am puzzled.

I doubt it's any slower than before, apart from loading un-define.
What's the evidence?  The only relevant patches in Debian 0.84-11,
which appears to be the current package version, are one of mine and
one of Toby Speight's which probably slows decoding if anything.
(It's unfortunate for various reasons that the origin of patches
doesn't get recorded.)

> > > This is interesting, since some people already tried to debug that
> > > without success.  Can you give more details, please?
> >
> > Dave Love had some success. He posted his patches to
> > gnu.emacs.sources and the mule@m17n.org mailing list on 29 March.
> > You even followed that up with a comment about Mule-UCS no longer
> > seeming to be maintained.
>
> Dave said he had *some* success.

I don't know what that refers to.  I explained the problem on
emacs-devel (I think) when it was first raised, as well as when I
posted the patch.  I made the bug fix that avoided Mule-UCS-induced
lossage.  You could have more success with the loading speed by not
defining any of the coding systems you don't use.  If that's not good
enough, handa had a suggestion for a different change to
`register-char-codings', but I seem to remember it was somewhat
incompatible.

> The message above says that the problem has been fixed.  This is not
> the same.

If there's another problem that someone can explain, I might be able
to do something about it.  (himi isn't responding currently.)
Otherwise, perhaps it's just a case of things working better without
my name on. :-/.

Non-CJK users would probably do better for simply editing Unicode to
use the ucs-tables.el and modified utf-8.el I advertised recently.
CJK users could contribute to improving its CJK support, but that
requires the CCL patch to the Emacs core.

* Re: [mew-int 00832] Re: How to add some more charsets to mew?
@ 2002-04-22 16:50 ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2002-04-22 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tats, emacs-devel

> > Dave said he had *some* success.
>
> I don't know what that refers to.  I explained the problem on
> emacs-devel (I think) when it was first raised, as well as when I
> posted the patch.  I made the bug fix that avoided Mule-UCS-induced
> lossage.  You could have more success with the loading speed by not
> defining any of the coding systems you don't use.

I was only referring that you couldn't find the reason why loading
Mule-UCS takes such a long time.

    Werner

* Re: [mew-int 00832] Re: How to add some more charsets to mew?
@ 2002-04-29 22:31   ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2002-04-29 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tats, emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> I was only referring that you couldn't find the reason why loading
> Mule-UCS takes such a long time.

Rubbish.  If undoing this change I described before doesn't speed up
you're not running Emacs 21.2 or you cocked up the experiment somehow.

2001-11-29  Dave Love  <fx@gnu.org>

	* international/mule.el (map-charset-chars): New function.
	(register-char-codings): Use it to cope with generic chars in
	safe-chars.