* [nickrob@snap.net.nz: Links in Help buffer]
@ 2005-12-20  5:33 Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-20  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can someone please work on this?

From: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:23:49 +1300
To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
Subject: Links in Help buffer
Sender: emacs-pretest-bug-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org

If you do:

1) C-h f display-buffer <RET>
2) Click on pop-up-frames
3) Click on customize
4) Click on the [back] button in the Help buffer

you get the error:

apply: Symbol's function definition is void: nil

This is because help-xref-stack has been set back to nil by clicking on
customize:

In help-mode.el:

(define-button-type 'help-customize-face
  :supertype 'help-xref
  'help-function (lambda (v)
		   (if help-xref-stack
		       (pop help-xref-stack))
		   (customize-face v))
  'help-echo (purecopy "mouse-2, RET: customize face"))

The error goes away if help-xref-stack is not popped but the ChangeLog says:

2000-05-09  Dave Love  <fx@gnu.org>

	Changes mostly following Richard Sharman <rsharman@wave.home.com>.

	* help.el (describe-variable): Have customize button pop the
	help-xref stack when invoked.

Does anybody know why this is necessary?

Nick

* [nickrob@snap.net.nz: Links in Help buffer]
@ 2005-12-20  9:02 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-12-20  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman writes:
 > Can someone please work on this?

 > From: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
 > Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:23:49 +1300
 > To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
 > Subject: Links in Help buffer
 > Sender: emacs-pretest-bug-bounces+rms=gnu.org@gnu.org
 > The error goes away if help-xref-stack is not popped but the ChangeLog says:
 >

 > 2000-05-09  Dave Love  <fx@gnu.org>
 >
 > 	Changes mostly following Richard Sharman <rsharman@wave.home.com>.
 >
 > 	* help.el (describe-variable): Have customize button pop the
 > 	help-xref stack when invoked.

I've reverted this change (now in help-mode.el) since I can see now that in
21.3 help-follow pushed an item onto the stack but that's not the case now.

Nick

* Re: [nickrob@snap.net.nz: Links in Help buffer]
@ 2005-12-21  2:58   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-21  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

     > 2000-05-09  Dave Love  <fx@gnu.org>
     >
     > 	Changes mostly following Richard Sharman <rsharman@wave.home.com>.
     >
     > 	* help.el (describe-variable): Have customize button pop the
     > 	help-xref stack when invoked.

    I've reverted this change (now in help-mode.el) since I can see now that in
    21.3 help-follow pushed an item onto the stack but that's not the case now.

I have a feeling that Dave Love made that change to fix some bug.
Maybe that other bug has come back now.  Perhaps we need to fix it
some other way, but we shoud fix it.

Dave, can you tell us what bug that fixed?

* Re: [nickrob@snap.net.nz: Links in Help buffer]
@ 2005-12-21 21:27     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-12-21 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: d.love, emacs-devel

 >      > 2000-05-09  Dave Love  <fx@gnu.org>
 >      >
 >      > 	Changes mostly following Richard Sharman
 >      > 	<rsharman@wave.home.com>.
 >      >
 >      > 	* help.el (describe-variable): Have customize button pop the
 >      > 	help-xref stack when invoked.
 >
 >     I've reverted this change (now in help-mode.el) since I can see now
 >     that in 21.3 help-follow pushed an item onto the stack but that's not
 >     the case now.
 >
 > I have a feeling that Dave Love made that change to fix some bug.
 > Maybe that other bug has come back now.  Perhaps we need to fix it
 > some other way, but we shoud fix it.
 >
 > Dave, can you tell us what bug that fixed?

Maybe Dave does have something to add, but I can see the bug that this change
fixed in 21.3 and why its not needed now (causes a bug now, in fact).  If I
couldn't, I wouldn't have reverted the change.

I have a patch for Help links which I guess will have to wait after the
release.  I also want to convert descr-text.el from widgets to help links so
solve some of its problems, but this isn't a trivial task.  Perhaps I should
mention this in TODO so there isn't duplication of effort.

@ 2005-12-22  5:46       ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-22  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: d.love, emacs-devel

    Maybe Dave does have something to add, but I can see the bug that this change
    fixed in 21.3 and why its not needed now (causes a bug now, in fact).  If I
    couldn't, I wouldn't have reverted the change.

That is good.  Thanks for checking that issue.

* Re: [nickrob@snap.net.nz: Links in Help buffer]
@ 2005-12-23 12:14     ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2005-12-23 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nick Roberts, emacs-devel

"Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Dave, can you tell us what bug that fixed?

I doubt there'd be any point in trying to remember what I did with
help buffers.  I found that stuff was thoroughly re-written.

* Re: [nickrob@snap.net.nz: Links in Help buffer]
@ 2005-12-23 18:11       ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-23 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nickrob, emacs-devel

    I doubt there'd be any point in trying to remember what I did with
    help buffers.  I found that stuff was thoroughly re-written.

Nick checked and says that the old bug is indeed fixed in some other
way.