* Re: custom problem
       [not found]     ` <200212302251.gBUMp8G10002@arc.math.ohio-state.edu>
@ 2002-12-31 14:29       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-12-31 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

[ CC'ed to emacs-devel ]

Markus Rost <rost@math.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> Yes.  This was meant for prompts for customize-variable,
> customize-group and friends, also for describe-variable, which should
> give a hint that the variable can be customized.  You don't want to
> load libraries here in advance.

I don't think it is a problem to load a file if you are trying to get
information (or customize) a *specific* variable (or face or group)
defined in that file.

However, it could be a problem if we load files as a result of a more
generic search, like the apropos commands, creating a customize menu,
or a customize buffer for a group containing variables from many
unrelated files, like the "basic customization" group suggested on
emacs-devel.

> However, meanwhile I think that one should not change the format of
> the custom-loads property.  The current format of custom-loads is
> pretty simple and handy, and other packages may rely on it.

I doubt any unbundled code depend on on the custom-loads property.

* Re: custom problem
@ 2003-01-02 13:05         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2003-01-02 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> [ CC'ed to emacs-devel ]
>
> Markus Rost <rost@math.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>
>> Yes.  This was meant for prompts for customize-variable,
>> customize-group and friends, also for describe-variable, which should
>> give a hint that the variable can be customized.  You don't want to
>> load libraries here in advance.
>
> I don't think it is a problem to load a file if you are trying to get
> information (or customize) a *specific* variable (or face or group)
> defined in that file.

I get it now, you want the information for the completion list for the
prompt, not for the sake of the buffer.  That seems like a worthwhile
change.