* Possibly add autoload cookie in iimage.el
@ 2023-12-29 16:31 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2023-12-29 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

iimage.el is missing an autoload cookie for iimage-recenter which
produces warnings when building code that uses eww.el

https/git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/iimage.el?h=master#n89...

* Re: Possibly add autoload cookie in iimage.el
@ 2023-12-29 18:59 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-29 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 08:31:14 -0800
>
> iimage.el is missing an autoload cookie for iimage-recenter which
> produces warnings when building code that uses eww.el
>
> https/git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/iimage.el?h=master#n89...

What do you mean by "code that uses eww.el"? what kind of warnings do
you see?  I don't see any references to iimage in eww.el.

And please in the future always report such problems as bugs using
report-emacs-bug, so that they could be tracked by our bug-tracker.

Thanks.

* Re: Possibly add autoload cookie in iimage.el
@ 2023-12-29 21:26   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2023-12-29 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

I get
Warning: the function ‘iimage-recenter’ is not known to be defined.

* Re: Possibly add autoload cookie in iimage.el
@ 2023-12-30  6:50     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-30  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 13:26:23 -0800
>
> I get
> Warning: the function ‘iimage-recenter’ is not known to be defined.

You get this warning while doing what?

I see no references to iimage-recenter in the Emacs tree, except in
image.el itself, which defines that function.  So I still don't have a
good understanding how you bump into that warning; please tell more.

* Re: Possibly add autoload cookie in iimage.el
@ 2023-12-30 17:43       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2023-12-30 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

As I said earlier, when compiling .el files that (require 'eww)

@ 2023-12-30 17:55         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-30 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:43:05 -0800
> Cc: raman@google.com,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> As I said earlier, when compiling .el files that (require 'eww)

Thanks.  But I don't seem to be able to reproduce this.  I created a
file which has a single line:

  (require 'eww)

and byte-compiled it, but didn't see any warnings.  So would you mind
showing a minimal Lisp file that does trigger a warning when
byte-compiled?  Then I could investigate why the warning is being
emitted.

* Re: Possibly add autoload cookie in iimage.el
@ 2023-12-30 19:39           ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2023-12-30 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

not sure as to what to say; it was triggering for me on the following
files:

1. https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak/blob/master/lisp/emacspeak-eww.el#L1
   2. https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak/blob/master/lisp/emacspeak-url-template.el#L1
      3. /usr/local/google/home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/wizards.el
         I inferred eww since that was common to all 3; for now I've
         just moved past it with an appropriate declare-function in
         those modules.

         I mostly reported it thinking it might help avoiding future
         problems.

@ 2023-12-30 19:56             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-30 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 11:39:28 -0800
> Cc: raman@google.com,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> not sure as to what to say; it was triggering for me on the following
> files:
>
> 1. https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak/blob/master/lisp/emacspeak-eww.el#L1
>    2. https://github.com/tvraman/emacspeak/blob/master/lisp/emacspeak-url-template.el#L1
>       3. /usr/local/google/home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/wizards.el
>          I inferred eww since that was common to all 3; for now I've
>          just moved past it with an appropriate declare-function in
>          those modules.
>
>          I mostly reported it thinking it might help avoiding future
>          problems.

Thanks.  My suggestion is to find which of the emacspeak's Lisp files
calls iimage-recenter.

* Re: Possibly add autoload cookie in iimage.el
@ 2023-12-31  3:13               ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2023-12-31  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

None of them do, that's what I checked first. It's coming from one of
the emacs packages tht those require -- I'm going to move on from this
issue at this point;  >> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>