* --with-pgtk crashes
@ 2022-01-06 18:03 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-01-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Latest build from head with --with-pgtk now crashes on Linux (Debian)
when started under X.

Taking out the --with-pgtk and rebuilding works fine.

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: --with-pgtk crashes
@ 2022-01-06 20:08 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-01-06 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 10:03:25 -0800
> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
>
> Latest build from head with --with-pgtk now crashes on Linux (Debian)
> when started under X.

Can you post a backtrace from the crash, please?  That will make
finding the culprit much easier and faster.

Thanks.

* Re: --with-pgtk crashes
@ 2022-01-06 21:10   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-01-06 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

It doesn't yield a backtrace -- even if started with --dbug-init ---
basically emacs launches, then the window disappears -- it dumps some
debug addresses in .xsession-errors but they dont look meaningful.
Eli Zaretskii writes:
 > > Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 10:03:25 -0800
 > > From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
 > >
 > > Latest build from head with --with-pgtk now crashes on Linux (Debian)
 > > when started under X.
 >
 > Can you post a backtrace from the crash, please?  That will make
 > finding the culprit much easier and faster.
 >
 > Thanks.

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: --with-pgtk crashes
@ 2022-01-07  0:43     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-07  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> It doesn't yield a backtrace -- even if started with --dbug-init ---
> basically emacs launches, then the window disappears -- it dumps some
> debug addresses in .xsession-errors but they dont look meaningful.

Please run Emacs under GDB, and show a backtrace from that.

Thanks.

* Re: --with-pgtk crashes
@ 2022-01-07  6:13       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2022-01-07  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, T.V Raman

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> It doesn't yield a backtrace -- even if started with --dbug-init ---
>> basically emacs launches, then the window disappears -- it dumps some
>> debug addresses in .xsession-errors but they dont look meaningful.
>
> Please run Emacs under GDB, and show a backtrace from that.

FWIW, I'm on wayland with PGTK enabled and it's working just fine.  When
I explicitly state that it should run unter xwayland instead using

  env -u WAYLAND_DISPLAY emacs -Q

I get no crash but except for the mode-line and menu-bar nothing is
displayed/rendered, that is, the scratch buffer is and stays empty and
so is the echo area.  There's also no tool-bar.  I can see that emacs
reacts, e.g., `C-h i' will open info which I can see because the frame
changes its title.

Oh, well, when I resize the emacs frame a bit (I'm using a tiling
compositior), out of sudden all those missing things appear. :-)
So I guess that's a separate issue.  I'll submit a bug report later.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: --with-pgtk crashes
@ 2022-01-07  6:51         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-07  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, T.V Raman

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>> It doesn't yield a backtrace -- even if started with --dbug-init ---
>>> basically emacs launches, then the window disappears -- it dumps some
>>> debug addresses in .xsession-errors but they dont look meaningful.
>>
>> Please run Emacs under GDB, and show a backtrace from that.
>
> FWIW, I'm on wayland with PGTK enabled and it's working just fine.  When
> I explicitly state that it should run unter xwayland instead using
>
>   env -u WAYLAND_DISPLAY emacs -Q
>
> I get no crash but except for the mode-line and menu-bar nothing is
> displayed/rendered, that is, the scratch buffer is and stays empty and
> so is the echo area.  There's also no tool-bar.  I can see that emacs
> reacts, e.g., `C-h i' will open info which I can see because the frame
> changes its title.
>
> Oh, well, when I resize the emacs frame a bit (I'm using a tiling
> compositior), out of sudden all those missing things appear. :-)
> So I guess that's a separate issue.  I'll submit a bug report later.

Thanks, one question though: does this happen with other GTK programs
running inside Xwayland?

* Re: --with-pgtk crashes
@ 2022-01-07  7:07       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-01-07  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel, raman

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 08:43:55 +0800
>
> "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
>
> > It doesn't yield a backtrace -- even if started with --dbug-init ---
> > basically emacs launches, then the window disappears -- it dumps some
> > debug addresses in .xsession-errors but they dont look meaningful.
>
> Please run Emacs under GDB, and show a backtrace from that.

Yes, that's what I meant (a backtrace from a crash is only interesting
on the C level).  Sorry for being unclear.

* Re: --with-pgtk crashes
@ 2022-01-07  7:58           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2022-01-07  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, T.V Raman

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> I get no crash but except for the mode-line and menu-bar nothing is
>> displayed/rendered, that is, the scratch buffer is and stays empty
>> and so is the echo area.  There's also no tool-bar.  I can see that
>> emacs reacts, e.g., `C-h i' will open info which I can see because
>> the frame changes its title.
>>
>> Oh, well, when I resize the emacs frame a bit (I'm using a tiling
>> compositior), out of sudden all those missing things appear. :-) So I
>> guess that's a separate issue.  I'll submit a bug report later.
>
> Thanks, one question though: does this happen with other GTK programs
> running inside Xwayland?

No, I've tried gedit (40.1), gimp (2.10.30), and firefox (96.0b10).
They all worked properly except firefox was light-themed although it's
usually dark-themed here.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: --with-pgtk crashes
@ 2022-01-07 14:59       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-01-07 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luangruo; +Cc: raman, eliz, emacs-devel

sorry, I ant do that, I'll let someone else in the emacs-devel
community help.Po Lu writes:
 > "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
 >
 > > It doesn't yield a backtrace -- even if started with --dbug-init ---
 > > basically emacs launches, then the window disappears -- it dumps some
 > > debug addresses in .xsession-errors but they dont look meaningful.
 >
 > Please run Emacs under GDB, and show a backtrace from that.
 >
 > Thanks.

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: --with-pgtk crashes