* Gnus: user save directory not respected?
@ 2021-08-07  2:16 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2021-08-07  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Easiest to cite the code below:
Doc says it uses gnus-article-save-directory' as the default directory
to save, but that doesn't appear to happen in practice, and the code
appears to not check that custom variable.

(defun gnus-summary-save-in-mail (&optional filename)
  "Append this article to Unix mail file.
Optional argument FILENAME specifies file name.
Directory to save to is default to `gnus-article-save-directory'."
  (setq filename (gnus-read-save-file-name
		  "Save %s in Unix mail file" filename
		  gnus-mail-save-name gnus-newsgroup-name
		  gnus-current-headers 'gnus-newsgroup-last-mail))
  (with-current-buffer gnus-save-article-buffer
    (save-excursion
      (save-restriction
	(widen)
	(if (and (file-readable-p filename)
		 (file-regular-p filename)
		 (mail-file-babyl-p filename))
	    (gnus-output-to-rmail filename)
	  (gnus-output-to-mail filename)))))
  filename)

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Gnus: user save directory not respected?
@ 2021-08-07  6:20 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2021-08-07  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Easiest to cite the code below:
> Doc says it uses gnus-article-save-directory' as the default directory
> to save, but that doesn't appear to happen in practice, and the code
> appears to not check that custom variable.
>
> (defun gnus-summary-save-in-mail (&optional filename)
>   "Append this article to Unix mail file.
> Optional argument FILENAME specifies file name.
> Directory to save to is default to `gnus-article-save-directory'."
>   (setq filename (gnus-read-save-file-name
> 		  "Save %s in Unix mail file" filename
> 		  gnus-mail-save-name gnus-newsgroup-name
> 		  gnus-current-headers 'gnus-newsgroup-last-mail))

Hmm - it does check it: look at that `gnus-read-save-file-name' call.
The third arg FUNCTION is specified as `gnus-mail-save-name', defaulting
to the function `gnus-plain-save-name' - and that function uses
`gnus-article-save-directory's value.

If saving doesn't work for you, I have no idea why, I guess you have to
dig further or provide more information.

Michael.