* org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-20 17:18 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-12-20 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The org info manual shows
#+BEGIN_CENTER

as the way to introduce a block of centered text and that worked until
recently -- perhaps broke last weekend when the latest org was merged?

Now, the above fails and puts the #+BEGIN_CENTER into the exported
HTML.
Insert that tag using M-x org-insert-structure-template and it works,
the block is in lower case though which appears to be what org wants
now

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-21 10:31 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-21 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> The org info manual shows
> #+BEGIN_CENTER
>
> as the way to introduce a block of centered text and that worked until
> recently -- perhaps broke last weekend when the latest org was merged?
>
> Now, the above fails and puts the #+BEGIN_CENTER into the exported
> HTML.
> Insert that tag using M-x org-insert-structure-template and it works,
> the block is in lower case though which appears to be what org wants
> now

If you can, please report Org bugs to Org mailing list via M-x
org-submit-bug-report.

As for the bug you are reporting, I cannot reproduce. You probably need
to provide more details.

I tried the following file:

Aliquam erat volutpat.

#+begin_center
Nullam eu ante vel est convallis dignissim.
#+end_center

At least, html, latex, and ascii exports produce the expected results
from emacs -Q + <C-c C-e h o>, <C-c C-e l o>, <C-c C-e t U>.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-21 13:27   ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-12-21 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
>
>> The org info manual shows
>> #+BEGIN_CENTER
>>
>> as the way to introduce a block of centered text and that worked until
>> recently -- perhaps broke last weekend when the latest org was merged?
>>
>> Now, the above fails and puts the #+BEGIN_CENTER into the exported
>> HTML.
>> Insert that tag using M-x org-insert-structure-template and it works,
>> the block is in lower case though which appears to be what org wants
>> now
>
> If you can, please report Org bugs to Org mailing list via M-x
> org-submit-bug-report.
>
> As for the bug you are reporting, I cannot reproduce. You probably need
> to provide more details.
>
> I tried the following file:
>

> Aliquam erat volutpat.
>
> #+begin_center
> Nullam eu ante vel est convallis dignissim.
> #+end_center
>

> At least, html, latex, and ascii exports produce the expected results
> from emacs -Q + <C-c C-e h o>, <C-c C-e l o>, <C-c C-e t U>.

From my reading of Raman's original report, I think the issue is that it
doesn't work if the block delimiters are upper case. Works when lower
case, but not upper BEGIN_CENTER/END_CENTER

I just tried reproducing, but it seems I don't have the necessary latex
classes installed (been a while since I needed to export to anything
latex/pdf related and with 9.6, it looks like some additional classes
are now needed which were not required previously?)

* Re: org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-21 13:51     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-21 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

>> At least, html, latex, and ascii exports produce the expected results
>> from emacs -Q + <C-c C-e h o>, <C-c C-e l o>, <C-c C-e t U>.
>
> From my reading of Raman's original report, I think the issue is that it
> doesn't work if the block delimiters are upper case. Works when lower
> case, but not upper BEGIN_CENTER/END_CENTER

I now tried

Aliquam erat volutpat.

#+BEGIN_CENTER
Nullam eu ante vel est convallis dignissim.
#+END_CENTER

Still works fine.

> I just tried reproducing, but it seems I don't have the necessary latex
> classes installed (been a while since I needed to export to anything
> latex/pdf related and with 9.6, it looks like some additional classes
> are now needed which were not required previously?)

You don't need anything special installed.
Things should work out of the box as long as you have basic LaTeX
installation.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-21 14:01       ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-12-21 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> At least, html, latex, and ascii exports produce the expected results
>>> from emacs -Q + <C-c C-e h o>, <C-c C-e l o>, <C-c C-e t U>.
>>
>> From my reading of Raman's original report, I think the issue is that it
>> doesn't work if the block delimiters are upper case. Works when lower
>> case, but not upper BEGIN_CENTER/END_CENTER
>
> I now tried
>
> Aliquam erat volutpat.
>
> #+BEGIN_CENTER
> Nullam eu ante vel est convallis dignissim.
> #+END_CENTER
>
> Still works fine.
>
>> I just tried reproducing, but it seems I don't have the necessary latex
>> classes installed (been a while since I needed to export to anything
>> latex/pdf related and with 9.6, it looks like some additional classes
>> are now needed which were not required previously?)
>
> You don't need anything special installed.
> Things should work out of the box as long as you have basic LaTeX
> installation.

Hmmm, I will have to try on a fresh VM and verify. I had to install a
number of additional packages that were not installed with basic
texlive-latex and texlive-latex-recommended. It could be my
configuration, although none of the additional packages I had to install
is referenced in my config. For example

texlive-wrapfig
texlive-ulem
texlive-capt-of
texlive-collections-fontsextra

were all necessary before I could export a basic org file as PDF. Are
thewswe considered a basic latex installation? What exactly defines a
basic latex installation? Are all the texlive packages
standard/consistent across distributions? (this was on a Fedora 37
system, previously I was on Ubuntu).

* Re: org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-21 14:31         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-21 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

>> You don't need anything special installed.
>> Things should work out of the box as long as you have basic LaTeX
>> installation.
>
> Hmmm, I will have to try on a fresh VM and verify. I had to install a
> number of additional packages that were not installed with basic
> texlive-latex and texlive-latex-recommended. It could be my
> configuration, although none of the additional packages I had to install
> is referenced in my config. For example
>
> texlive-wrapfig
> texlive-ulem
> texlive-capt-of
> texlive-collections-fontsextra
>
> were all necessary before I could export a basic org file as PDF. Are
> thewswe considered a basic latex installation? What exactly defines a
> basic latex installation? Are all the texlive packages
> standard/consistent across distributions? (this was on a Fedora 37
> system, previously I was on Ubuntu).

I was wrong. There are some extra non-default packages that are needed.
Not sure about fonts, but other packages are required to export specific
Org syntax elements. See the docstring for
`org-latex-default-packages-alist'.

That said, extra packages have nothing to do with center environment in
the original report.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-21 15:20         ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-12-21 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 294 bytes --]

definitely breaks for me with emacs@head; will get back  to this when I
have time AKA org-9.6 in Emacs@HEAD has already consumed way too much
time for some speculative future benefit.

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-21 16:25           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-12-21 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wednesday, 21 Dec 2022 at 07:20, T.V Raman wrote:
> definitely breaks for me with emacs@head; will get back  to this when I
> have time AKA org-9.6 in Emacs@HEAD has already consumed way too much
> time for some speculative future benefit.

Works fine for me with emacs and org @ head in both cases (as of an hour
ago).

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2022-12-21) on Debian 11.5

* Re: org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-21 18:59     ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-12-21 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 576 bytes --]

And just to prove that I wasn't hallucinating:

You can see evidence of the bug on this blog that resyndicates my blog:
Planet Emacslife https://planet.emacslife.com/atom.xml

I  authored in org, pushed publish to blogger, then saw the ugliness
that org had created for the begin_center blog, so I unpublished the
draft (ie no longer visible on my own blog). But planet emacslife
republished it automatically so you can see both the good and bad
version there.

7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: org: begin_center in Emacs @HEAD
@ 2022-12-21 19:04       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-21 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: Tim Cross, emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> And just to prove that I wasn't hallucinating:
>
> You can see evidence of the bug on this blog that resyndicates my blog:
> Planet Emacslife https://planet.emacslife.com/atom.xml
>
> I  authored in org, pushed publish to blogger, then saw the ugliness
> that org had created for the begin_center blog, so I unpublished the
> draft (ie no longer visible on my own blog). But planet emacslife
> republished it automatically so you can see both the good and bad
> version there.

I am sorry but it is not very helpful.
If you can, please try to create an MWE and share it.
Or, at least, provide and example Org document that is not exported
properly.

See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,