* Is it possible to update tooltip text?
@ 2008-03-29 13:19 Ye Wenbin
From: Ye Wenbin @ 2008-03-29 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,
I am wondering whether there is a function to update the text display in
the
tooltip. Maybe the tooltip is not what I what, because I think tooltip will
disappear when user input something. I want a frame the display text like
tooltip, and I can update the text according to user's input and hide
it when needed.
I think such feature is useful, for example it can be used for displaying
candicate expansions or using by input methods. I try x-show-tip, but
the frame display and disappear too often.

--
Best Regards,
Ye Wenbin

* Re: Is it possible to update tooltip text?
@ 2008-03-29 15:00 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-29 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ye Wenbin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ye Wenbin wrote:
> Hi,
> I am wondering whether there is a function to update the text display in
> the
> tooltip. Maybe the tooltip is not what I what, because I think tooltip will
> disappear when user input something. I want a frame the display text like
> tooltip, and I can update the text according to user's input and hide
> it when needed.
> I think such feature is useful, for example it can be used for displaying
> candicate expansions or using by input methods. I try x-show-tip, but
> the frame display and disappear too often.

I searched for something like that too, but finally (for some other
reasons) decided to use an overlay instead. Maybe that was the wrong
approach and if you manage to get tooltips to work for you as you wanted
to above then please tell me.

My "overlay workaround" is in tabkey2.el:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/tabkey2.el

* Re: Is it possible to update tooltip text?
@ 2008-03-30  3:12   ` Ye Wenbin
From: Ye Wenbin @ 2008-03-30  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail)

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:00:43 +0800, Lennart Borgman (gmail)
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I searched for something like that too, but finally (for some other
> reasons) decided to use an overlay instead. Maybe that was the wrong
> approach and if you manage to get tooltips to work for you as you wanted
> to above then please tell me.
>
> My "overlay workaround" is in tabkey2.el:
>
>    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/tabkey2.el
A good idea, but I found a fatal bug that if I display message in the
first line in an empty
buffer, emacs will crash when I move backward. You can repeat it as
following:
  1. load "tabkey2"
  2. open a new buffer or erase current buffer
  3. input (tabkey2-overlay-message "hello") and C-x C-e eval it, the
message overlay
     will appear in front of cursor right after the parenthesis.
  4. C-b to move backward, then the emacs will crash.

I try it in emacs22 and emacs23, both have the same problem.
Anyway, I think make sure alway has a new line bellow is better, but
it will change the content of buffer.

--
Best Regards,
Ye Wenbin