* /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp is not expanded on ubuntu installs
@ 2013-11-22  0:26 Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2013-11-22  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

On Ubuntu the directories of /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp are not
added to load-path as stated in the documentation:

      If `EMACSLOADPATH' is not set (which is usually the case), Emacs
   initializes `load-path' with the following two directories:

        "/usr/local/share/emacs/VERSION/site-lisp"

   and

        "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp"

   [...]

      Next, Emacs "expands" the initial list of directories in `load-path'
   by adding the subdirectories of those directories.  Both immediate
   subdirectories and subdirectories multiple levels down are added.  But
   it excludes subdirectories whose names do not start with a letter or
   digit, and subdirectories named `RCS' or `CVS', and subdirectories
   containing a file named `.nosearch'.

I see the same thing on emacs23, emacs24 and emacs-snapshot on Kubuntu
13.04.

The path /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp is expanded. Does this mean that
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp should be used for the installation of add-on
packages? If so, then the info page should be updated.

Thanks,

   Vitalie

* Re: /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp is not expanded on ubuntu installs
@ 2013-11-22  2:29 ` Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2013-11-22  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

 >>> Vitalie Spinu on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:26:22 -0800 wrote:

[...]

 > The path /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp is expanded.

Actually this is not true either. /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp doesn't
even appear in emacs-snapshot -Q, but appears in emacs24 -Q.

I am really confused now. Where do I put my package on "make install" so
that all emacses can see it?

@ 2013-11-22  3:03 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-11-22  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitalie Spinu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Vitalie Spinu wrote:

>       If `EMACSLOADPATH' is not set (which is usually the case), Emacs
>    initializes `load-path' with the following two directories:
>
>         "/usr/local/share/emacs/VERSION/site-lisp"

This is an example. It should be understood that you replace /usr/local
with the installation prefix appropriate for your emacs binary.
(See the latest version of that section in the manual.)

* Re: /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp is not expanded on ubuntu installs
@ 2013-11-22  3:04   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-11-22  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitalie Spinu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Vitalie Spinu wrote:

> Actually this is not true either. /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp doesn't
> even appear in emacs-snapshot -Q, but appears in emacs24 -Q.

emacs -Q implies --no-site-lisp (may not work correctly in older Emacs
versions, ie site-lisp dirs may still be present.)

* Re: /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp is not expanded on ubuntu installs
@ 2013-11-22  3:35   ` Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2013-11-22  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

 >>> Glenn Morris on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 22:03:01 -0500 wrote:

 GM> Vitalie Spinu wrote:
 >> If `EMACSLOADPATH' is not set (which is usually the case), Emacs
 >> initializes `load-path' with the following two directories:
 >>
 >> "/usr/local/share/emacs/VERSION/site-lisp"

 GM> This is an example. It should be understood that you replace /usr/local
 GM> with the installation prefix appropriate for your emacs binary.
 GM> (See the latest version of that section in the manual.)

My question was about the second path "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp"
which is "for locally installed packages meant for use with all
installed Emacs versions."

Let me elaborate on my question. I want to provide users with an easy
"make install" what would put my package into a dirrectory where *all*
version of emacs present on the machine can see.

The manual says that directory is "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp"
which is not true because sub directories of that directory are not
expanded. Nor the subdirectories of "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp" are
expanded.

@ 2013-11-22  4:02     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-11-22  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitalie Spinu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Vitalie Spinu wrote:

> The manual says that directory is "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp"
> which is not true because sub directories of that directory are not
> expanded. Nor the subdirectories of "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp" are
> expanded.

I re-encourage you to read the latest version of the manual, which
explains that it is the presence of a subdirs.el file that causes
subdirectories to be added.

That file should be created during installation, but Debian (from which
Ubuntu inherits) appears to make it more complicated, prefering to have
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp with subdirs.el and
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp without (AFAICS). You'd have to take that up
with them.