* Re: [Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl>] Re: lisp/ChangeLog corruption
       [not found] <86znwijf6u.fsf@gerd.free-bsd.org>
@ 2002-07-24 15:54 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-24 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    I have been using XEmacs 21.1 patch 14 (Mule) to check edit and check
    in the file.  I don't know why it would change the coding system, but
    maybe it does.  I don't know much about coding systems...

Please don't do this with XEmacs any more.  Please use Emacs.
(Besides, the only way you can test your changes in Emacs is to use
Emacs.)

* Re: [Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl>] Re: lisp/ChangeLog corruption
@ 2002-07-24 17:01   ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2002-07-24 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Carsten Dominik

|--==> "RS" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl> wrote:

  > I have been using XEmacs 21.1 patch 14 (Mule) to check edit and check
  > in the file.  I don't know why it would change the coding system, but
  > maybe it does.  I don't know much about coding systems...

Carsten, this might help (untested):

(if (featurep 'mule)
    (progn
      (define-coding-system-alias 'iso-2022-7bit-unix 'iso-2022-7bit)
      (add-to-list 'file-coding-system-alist '("ChangeLog" . iso-2022-7bit-unix))))

  RS> Please don't do this with XEmacs any more.  Please use Emacs.

Why?  Providing that the above prevents any future file corruption in
the ChangeLogs, it shouldn't matter should it?

  RS> (Besides, the only way you can test your changes in Emacs is to use
  RS> Emacs.)

True, but it's not often that you need to test changes to a ChangeLog
file. :-)

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |

* Re: [Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl>] Re: lisp/ChangeLog corruption
@ 2002-07-25  4:53     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-07-25  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel, Carsten Dominik

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Steve Youngs wrote:

> Carsten, this might help (untested):
>
> (if (featurep 'mule)
>     (progn
>       (define-coding-system-alias 'iso-2022-7bit-unix 'iso-2022-7bit)
>       (add-to-list 'file-coding-system-alist '("ChangeLog" . iso-2022-7bit-unix))))

The last line shouldn't be necessary: the Emacs ChangeLog's specify the
encoding explicitly (in the file's local vars).

* Re: [Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl>] Re: lisp/ChangeLog corruption
@ 2002-07-25 18:07     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-25 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, dominik

      RS> Please don't do this with XEmacs any more.  Please use Emacs.

    Why?

We don't want to have to deal with the issue of how XEmacs saves this
file, when it is possible simply to avoid it.  Aside from that, it
would be good for Carsten to do some of his work in Emacs, on general
principles.

* Re: [Carsten Dominik <dominik@astro.uva.nl>] Re: lisp/ChangeLog corruption
@ 2002-07-28 22:14       ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2002-07-28 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

  EZ> On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Steve Youngs wrote:
  >>(if (featurep 'mule)
  >>(progn
  >>(define-coding-system-alias 'iso-2022-7bit-unix 'iso-2022-7bit)
  >>(add-to-list 'file-coding-system-alist '("ChangeLog" . iso-2022-7bit-unix))))

  EZ> The last line shouldn't be necessary: the Emacs ChangeLog's
  EZ> specify the encoding explicitly (in the file's local vars).

And unfortunately, the second last line isn't any good for Carsten
either: 'define-coding-system-alias' doesn't exist in XEmacs 21.1.x

For some reason Carsten's XEmacs is using a 8 bit coding system when
it should be using a 7 bit one.  I'm not sure why, all of my XEmacsen
do the right thing.

--

@ 2002-07-28 22:25       ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2002-07-28 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "RS" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

  RS> Please don't do this with XEmacs any more.  Please use Emacs.
          Why?

  RS> We don't want to have to deal with the issue of how XEmacs saves this
  RS> file, when it is possible simply to avoid it.

I wasn't suggesting that you do deal with the issue.  I don't think the
problem has anything to do with the differences between Emacs and
XEmacs, but rather, a problem specific to Carsten's set up.

What I was saying is that if Carsten can solve the problem he should
be able to use whatever editor he wants for editing the ChangeLogs (or
any other file).

  RS> Aside from that, it would be good for Carsten to do some of his
  RS> work in Emacs, on general principles.

I totally agree.