* message-mode completion broken
@ 2022-11-15 21:38 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-11-15 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

Since the recent change to message-mode and EUDC, message-mode
completion fails. I noticed this with EBDB, and there's been a report on
gnus.general that BBDB fails as well.

completion-at-point-functions looks like:

(eudc-capf-complete message-completion-function t)

eudc-capf-complete produces "No matches", and
message-completion-function never gets called.

Hope this can be fixed!

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: message-mode completion broken
@ 2022-11-16  8:16 ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2022-11-16  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tuesday Nov 15 2022, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since the recent change to message-mode and EUDC, message-mode
> completion fails. I noticed this with EBDB, and there's been a report on
> gnus.general that BBDB fails as well.
>
> completion-at-point-functions looks like:
>
> (eudc-capf-complete message-completion-function t)
>
> eudc-capf-complete produces "No matches", and
> message-completion-function never gets called.

We ran into that same problems with mu4e's completion:
  https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/2363

Kind regards,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl

* Re: message-mode completion broken
@ 2022-11-16 10:02   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-11-16 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema; +Cc: emacs-devel, Eric Abrahamsen

    Dirk-Jan> On Tuesday Nov 15 2022, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Since the recent change to message-mode and EUDC, message-mode
    >> completion fails. I noticed this with EBDB, and there's been a report on
    >> gnus.general that BBDB fails as well.
    >>
    >> completion-at-point-functions looks like:
    >>
    >> (eudc-capf-complete message-completion-function t)
    >>
    >> eudc-capf-complete produces "No matches", and
    >> message-completion-function never gets called.

    Dirk-Jan> We ran into that same problems with mu4e's completion:
    Dirk-Jan>   https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/2363

Please report this as a bug with M-x report-emacs-bug

Robert

* Re: message-mode completion broken
@ 2022-11-16 13:30     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-11-16 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: djcb.bulk, emacs-devel, eric

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 11:02:04 +0100

>     Dirk-Jan> On Tuesday Nov 15 2022, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> Since the recent change to message-mode and EUDC, message-mode
>     >> completion fails. I noticed this with EBDB, and there's been a report on
>     >> gnus.general that BBDB fails as well.
>     >>
>     >> completion-at-point-functions looks like:
>     >>
>     >> (eudc-capf-complete message-completion-function t)
>     >>
>     >> eudc-capf-complete produces "No matches", and
>     >> message-completion-function never gets called.
>
>     Dirk-Jan> We ran into that same problems with mu4e's completion:
>     Dirk-Jan>   https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/2363
>
> Please report this as a bug with M-x report-emacs-bug

Yes, and preferably with a recipe that doesn't require 3rd-party
packages to reproduce the problems.

TIA

* Re: message-mode completion broken
@ 2022-11-16 14:16 ` Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2022-11-16 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Eric,

> Since the recent change to message-mode and EUDC, message-mode
> completion fails. I noticed this with EBDB, and there's been a report on
> gnus.general that BBDB fails as well.

Thanks for reporting.

> completion-at-point-functions looks like:
>
> (eudc-capf-complete message-completion-function t)
>
> eudc-capf-complete produces "No matches", and
> message-completion-function never gets called.

As a test, instead of pressing TAB where you're doing the completion,
can you try "C-u M-x eudc-expand-try-all" and see if that recovers the
completion behaviour?

(I wasn't intending to modify default behaviour when I pushed
0e25a39e69acca0324c326ea8e46b1725594bff5 but that's the first patch to
check for any regressions.)

Thanks,
Thomas

* Re: message-mode completion broken
@ 2022-11-16 17:59   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-11-16 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org> writes:

> Hi Eric,

>> Since the recent change to message-mode and EUDC, message-mode
>> completion fails. I noticed this with EBDB, and there's been a report on
>> gnus.general that BBDB fails as well.
>
> Thanks for reporting.
>
>> completion-at-point-functions looks like:
>>
>> (eudc-capf-complete message-completion-function t)
>>
>> eudc-capf-complete produces "No matches", and
>> message-completion-function never gets called.
>
> As a test, instead of pressing TAB where you're doing the completion,
> can you try "C-u M-x eudc-expand-try-all" and see if that recovers the
> completion behaviour?
>
> (I wasn't intending to modify default behaviour when I pushed
> 0e25a39e69acca0324c326ea8e46b1725594bff5 but that's the first patch to
> check for any regressions.)

Thanks for chiming in! Robert/Eli are right this should probably be a
bug report, so I'll do that now, though the important thing was getting
your attention :)

I briefly tried "C-u M-x eudc-expand-try-all", with the same results.
I'm going to open this bug report, and then refresh my memory about how
Emacs' completion works...