* issues with new gnus nnimap
@ 2010-10-01 10:31 joakim
From: joakim @ 2010-10-01 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Ok, I would have liked to not discgrace myself with a really low quality
problem report, but here goes anyway:

I have used the old gnus nnimap for a long time with a local dovecot
server on my laptop. This has worked ok, except that gnus never counted
the number of messages in the folders correctly. I could work around
this with M-g on imap folders I knew gnus normaly failed to do the
calculation in.

Noticing the enourmous code churn in gnus, I tried a new Emacs snapshot
the other day. I then got different behaviour. Old emails from 2006
showed up as new ones. I tried to do catch up on them. They seemed gone,
and then I did M-g on the group, and they came back again.

Then I got too scared to continue, and reverted to my old Emacs.

Any hints how to provide better debugging info apreciated.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: issues with new gnus nnimap
@ 2010-10-01 14:34 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-10-01 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:31:11 +0200 joakim@verona.se wrote:

j> Noticing the enourmous code churn in gnus, I tried a new Emacs snapshot
j> the other day. I then got different behaviour. Old emails from 2006
j> showed up as new ones. I tried to do catch up on them. They seemed gone,
j> and then I did M-g on the group, and they came back again.

j> Then I got too scared to continue, and reverted to my old Emacs.

j> Any hints how to provide better debugging info apreciated.

Gnus problems or bugs, although Lars has been knocking off Emacs and
Gnus bug reports as well lately)

I reported something very similar for old/new e-mails.  I think it's
related to the new (correct) way nnimap stores Gnus marks in IMAP, since
it only affects articles I received before the nnimap rewrite.

Ted

* Re: issues with new gnus nnimap
@ 2010-10-01 14:54 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-01 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

> Noticing the enourmous code churn in gnus, I tried a new Emacs snapshot
> the other day. I then got different behaviour. Old emails from 2006
> showed up as new ones. I tried to do catch up on them. They seemed gone,
> and then I did M-g on the group, and they came back again.

Gnus will now sync the flag state for all messages from the IMAP server,
so if the server says the message is unread, Gnus will, too.

However, there may be a bug somewhere in the code, of course.

Try `M-g' on the group, and then look in the *nnimap <server name> ...*
buffer, and find the line for an article you thing should have been
marked as read, and then see what the server says about the article.
(Gnus "article numbers" is the same as IMAP UIDs.)

* Re: issues with new gnus nnimap
@ 2010-11-02 10:22   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2010-11-02 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> joakim@verona.se writes:
>
>> Noticing the enourmous code churn in gnus, I tried a new Emacs snapshot
>> the other day. I then got different behaviour. Old emails from 2006
>> showed up as new ones. I tried to do catch up on them. They seemed gone,
>> and then I did M-g on the group, and they came back again.
>
> Gnus will now sync the flag state for all messages from the IMAP server,
> so if the server says the message is unread, Gnus will, too.
>
> However, there may be a bug somewhere in the code, of course.
>
> Try `M-g' on the group, and then look in the *nnimap <server name> ...*
> buffer, and find the line for an article you thing should have been
> marked as read, and then see what the server says about the article.
> (Gnus "article numbers" is the same as IMAP UIDs.)

I tried again today with a fresh Emacs. The problem remains.
The log shows a lot of id:s, but they seem all to be flagged with %Seen,
so I dont understand why they would later show up as unread in Gnus.

I tried using nc to talk to the imapd, but wasnt able to fetch those
particular uids, I'm not sure why. I did select INBOX and stuff...

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-02 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

> I tried again today with a fresh Emacs. The problem remains.
> The log shows a lot of id:s, but they seem all to be flagged with %Seen,
> so I dont understand why they would later show up as unread in Gnus.

You `M-g' and the read articles still show up as unread?

* Re: issues with new gnus nnimap
@ 2010-11-02 21:00       ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2010-11-02 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> joakim@verona.se writes:
>
>> I tried again today with a fresh Emacs. The problem remains.
>> The log shows a lot of id:s, but they seem all to be flagged with %Seen,
>> so I dont understand why they would later show up as unread in Gnus.
>
> You `M-g' and the read articles still show up as unread?

Yes, thats basically it.

It only happens to some mailboxes, so im not ruling out some issue with
my local dovecot install. Thuunderbird doesnt seem to have the same
issue though (it has other issues, such as not being Gnus)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-03 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

>>> I tried again today with a fresh Emacs. The problem remains.
>>> The log shows a lot of id:s, but they seem all to be flagged with %Seen,
>>> so I dont understand why they would later show up as unread in Gnus.
>>
>> You `M-g' and the read articles still show up as unread?
>
> Yes, thats basically it.

Do an `M-g' on the group, and then a `G E', and mail me the output of
that buffer as well as the contents of the "*nnimap <server> ...*"
and "*imap log*" buffers.

* Re: issues with new gnus nnimap
@ 2010-11-17 11:08           ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2010-11-17 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> You `M-g' and the read articles still show up as unread?
>>
>> Yes, thats basically it.
>
> Do an `M-g' on the group, and then a `G E', and mail me the output of
> that buffer as well as the contents of the "*nnimap <server> ...*"
> and "*imap log*" buffers.

This was aparently some issue with the ~/News/cache directory. It turned
out that the messages that kept reoccuring wasnt even in the imap server
anymore. So I just removed the cache directory, and things seems to be
better.

I didnt expect any cache issues because the imapserver in question wasnt
configured to use agent or anything.

--

@ 2010-11-17 13:49             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-17 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

joakim@verona.se writes:

> I didnt expect any cache issues because the imapserver in question wasnt
> configured to use agent or anything.

The cache and the Agent are two different things...