* Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken
@ 2002-09-28 19:43 Arun A Tharuvai
From: Arun A Tharuvai @ 2002-09-28 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: aatharuv

I noticed that the devanagari script support was rewritten sometime
after the release of Emacs 21.2, and that the current cvs version uses
CDAC fonts instead of the muleindian encoded fonts that come with
intlfonts. However, none of the fonts that I've been able to find
online, that are labelled as CDAC fonts (which by inspection don't
appear to have a single encoding), are available under a free license,

Attempting to test with these fonts, I've found that all of the
devanagari input methods merely output blank characters, and as such,

Assuming that you have all the intlfonts-1.2 fonts in your X fontpath,
and that you are running emacs 21.2, then set the input method to
devanagari-itrans, and enter in the following text
merA nAm aruN hai

and you should get output similar to that in the following image

http://web.mit.edu/aatharuv/www/devanagari-working.jpg

However, in the CVS emacs, just blank space shows up. Is this a bug,
or is this just a font issue?

Arun A Tharuvai

* Re: Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken
@ 2002-09-30 11:24 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2002-09-30 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, batta, aatharuv

In article <87fzvtew7w.fsf@STRATTON-TWO-EIGHTY-SIX.MIT.EDU>, Arun A Tharuvai <aatharuv@mit.edu> writes:
> I noticed that the devanagari script support was rewritten sometime
> after the release of Emacs 21.2, and that the current cvs version uses
> CDAC fonts instead of the muleindian encoded fonts that come with
> intlfonts. However, none of the fonts that I've been able to find
> online, that are labelled as CDAC fonts (which by inspection don't
> appear to have a single encoding), are available under a free license,

As far as I remember, Kawabata-san got a permission to use
it freely.  Kawabata-san, could you please desciribe the
precise status of the permission?

> Attempting to test with these fonts, I've found that all of the
> devanagari input methods merely output blank characters, and as such,

I've just added the following paragraphs in the section "*
Extra fonts" of the file INSTALL, which I long ago received
but forgot to install, sorry.  Could you please try it?

If your X server for X font server supports TrueType fonts,
you can directly use the downloaded fonts (without
converting them to PCF as below).  But, in that case, you
must give "Devanagari-CDAC" to the CHARSET_REGISTRY and
CHARSET_ENCODING field of the devanagari font.

The new Indian implementation uses the ISFOC standard fonts.  We use
CDAC ISFOC fonts to display the Devanagari script in Emacs.  They are
copyrighted, but we received permission to use them in Emacs from the
font developers.  These fonts can be obtained from the internet, or
may be found in C-DAC products (including downloadable ones).  For
examle, you can search the CDAC Devanagari font `dvsr0ntt.ttf' by
using some search engines and they will guide you to appropriate URLs
to obtain them.

After you've downloaded the fonts, then run the following Makefile
to create the appropriate BDF/PCF fonts.  (You will need `ttf2bdf',
equipped with freetype 1, to create BDF file.)

TTFS=	asdr0ntt.ttf:Assamese\
	bndr0ntt.ttf:Bengali\
	dvsr0ntt.ttf:Devanagari\
	gjav0ntt.ttf:Gujarati\
	knum0ntt.ttf:Kannada\
	mlkr0ntt.ttf:Malayalam\
	orsr0ntt.ttf:Oriya\
	pnam0ntt.ttf:Punjabi\
	sdsr0ntt.ttf:Sanskrit\
	tlhm0ntt.ttf:Telugu\
	tmvl0ntt.ttf:Tamil

all:
	for f in ${TTFS}; do \
	  ttf=`echo $$f | sed 's/:.*$$//'`; \
	  reg=`echo $$f | sed 's/[^:]*://'`; \
	  base=`basename $$ttf .ttf`; \
	  echo Converting "$$ttf to $$base-XX.bdf/pcf with registry $$reg"; \
	  for i in 16 24; do \
	    ttf2bdf -p $${i} -r 100 -l 0_255 $$ttf > temp; \
	    sed "/^FONT /s/ISO10646-1/$$reg-CDAC/" <temp >$$base-$$i.bdf; \
	    bdftopcf $$base-$$i.bdf > $$base-$$i.pcf; \
	  done; \
	done
	rm -f temp

clean:
	rm -f *.pcf *.bdf

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken
@ 2002-09-30 11:54   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2002-09-30 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: aatharuv, emacs-devel, batta, aatharuv

In article <200209301124.UAA05248@etlken.m17n.org>, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
> In article <87fzvtew7w.fsf@STRATTON-TWO-EIGHTY-SIX.MIT.EDU>, Arun A Tharuvai <aatharuv@mit.edu> writes:
>>  I noticed that the devanagari script support was rewritten sometime
>>  after the release of Emacs 21.2, and that the current cvs version uses
>>  CDAC fonts instead of the muleindian encoded fonts that come with
>>  intlfonts. However, none of the fonts that I've been able to find
>>  online, that are labelled as CDAC fonts (which by inspection don't
>>  appear to have a single encoding), are available under a free license,

I forgot to mention this page made by Kawabata-san:
	http://www.m17n.org/secure/emacs-indian/index.html
Its screenshot demonstrates the usage very well.
Please access this page as below:
	login: mule-group
	password: multilingualization

Kawabata-san, do you remember why this page is under
`secure' directory?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken
@ 2002-10-02  0:13   ` Arun A Tharuvai
From: Arun A Tharuvai @ 2002-10-02  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: aatharuv, emacs-devel, batta

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> I've just added the following paragraphs in the section "*
> Extra fonts" of the file INSTALL, which I long ago received
> but forgot to install, sorry.  Could you please try it?

Thanks for the instructions and pointers to fonts. Devanagari works
fine now.

Arun Tharuvai

* Re: Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken
@ 2002-10-27  3:36   ` 川幡 太一
From: 川幡 太一 @ 2002-10-27  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: aatharuv, emacs-devel

Hello,

First, let me apologize that I've forgotten the response for a long
time.  I've been quite busy on working my project, and lost some mail
`read/unread' marks and mail splitting features by an accident, which
made me long time that these mails are exchanged unnoticed.

> As far as I remember, Kawabata-san got a permission to use
> it freely.  Kawabata-san, could you please desciribe the
> precise status of the permission?

Yes, I've been received the permission from people at Pune, but I
couldn't contact with these people when I attempt to do it about 6
months ago.  Perhaps, it may be a good chance to try again.

It seems your people already solved the problem, but let me know if
any further problems appear.  I can be (hopefully) reached, now.

# By the way, I'll go to Peru (mountain climbing) for about 2 weeks in
# the end of November, and I'm busy preparing for it, too.  So my mail
# response again would be delayed, in worst case, until December.  I'm
# really sorry of it.

KAWABATA, Taichi (batta@beige.ocn.ne.jp)

* Re: Emacs Mule Devanagari support quite possibly broken
@ 2002-10-27  3:37     ` 川幡 太一
From: 川幡 太一 @ 2002-10-27  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: aatharuv, emacs-devel

Hello,

> I forgot to mention this page made by Kawabata-san:
> 	http://www.m17n.org/secure/emacs-indian/index.html
> Its screenshot demonstrates the usage very well.
> Please access this page as below:
> 	login: mule-group
> 	password: multilingualization

> Kawabata-san, do you remember why this page is under
> `secure' directory?

Not for much serious reason.  Simply becuase this is still under
development.  It is open for anyone who is interested in development
of Indian support.

KAWABATA, Taichi (batta@beige.ocn.ne.jp)