* gnus in Emacs trunk: read/expire-flags lost for mail in inbox
@ 2011-03-03 11:58 Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2011-03-03 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

Hi *,

for some days (few weeks) I experience a very annoying problem with gnus
in my (daily build) Emacs:

I use gnus as an MUA:
- only one mail-source of type "file"
- nnml backend
- nnmail-split-methods with some rules and a default rule like:
  [...] ("mail.New" "")
  The group in this default rule is what I would call my mail inbox.

Now when I mark mail in this "inbox" as read or expunge or anything like
this and I quit gnus and Emacs, after restarting Emacs and gnus I get
all mails displayed as new and unread.  In addition the mail counter in
the Group buffer is astronomically high for the "inbox" until I visit
the group one time.

Strange enough if I only  quit gnus and restart it without quiting Emacs
I don't see this phenomenon, neither do I on any subsequent mail
fetching...

I see this on two different Emacs installations with two different gnus
configurations, the one using only a file mail-source is the simpler
one.

Any Ideas what might be the cause of this?

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
"Structure is _nothing_ if it is all you got.  Skeletons _spook_ people if

* Re: gnus in Emacs trunk: read/expire-flags lost for mail in inbox
@ 2011-03-05 10:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:

> Now when I mark mail in this "inbox" as read or expunge or anything like
> this and I quit gnus and Emacs, after restarting Emacs and gnus I get
> all mails displayed as new and unread.  In addition the mail counter in
> the Group buffer is astronomically high for the "inbox" until I visit
> the group one time.

Very strange.

Does `(setq nnml-marks-is-evil t)' have any effect?

* Re: gnus in Emacs trunk: read/expire-flags lost for mail in inbox
@ 2011-03-06 15:20   ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2011-03-06 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:
>
>> Now when I mark mail in this "inbox" as read or expunge or anything like
>> this and I quit gnus and Emacs, after restarting Emacs and gnus I get
>> all mails displayed as new and unread.  In addition the mail counter in
>> the Group buffer is astronomically high for the "inbox" until I visit
>> the group one time.
>
> Very strange.
>
> Does `(setq nnml-marks-is-evil t)' have any effect?

As strange as it gets: setting nnml-marks-is-evil like:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml ""
	      (nnml-marks-is-evil t))))

actually seems to fix it!

Maybe some kind of locking problem?  No idea if it is related, but I
have more than one rule sorting mail into the "inbox"...

Anyway, thanks for the workaround...  ;-)

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde

Lisp is the red pill.
  -- John Fraser, comp.lang.lisp

* Re: gnus in Emacs trunk: read/expire-flags lost for mail in inbox
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Wilde; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:

>> Does `(setq nnml-marks-is-evil t)' have any effect?
>
> As strange as it gets: setting nnml-marks-is-evil like:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnml ""
> 	      (nnml-marks-is-evil t))))
>
> actually seems to fix it!

Right, then I know what the underlying problem is.  I think the current
Gnus version should fix the problem so that this workaround isn't
necessary.

Thanks for helping to debug this problem.

* Re: gnus in Emacs trunk: read/expire-flags lost for mail in inbox
@ 2011-03-16 18:01       ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2011-03-16 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:
>>> Does `(setq nnml-marks-is-evil t)' have any effect?
>>
>> As strange as it gets: setting nnml-marks-is-evil like:
>>
>> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>       '((nnml ""
>> 	      (nnml-marks-is-evil t))))
>>
>> actually seems to fix it!
>
> Right, then I know what the underlying problem is.  I think the current
> Gnus version should fix the problem so that this workaround isn't
> necessary.

Is the fix already part of GNU Emacs trunk?

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of when changing
nnml-marks-is-evil back to nil?  I would like to test if the fix works
for me...

Cheers and kudos
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.

* Re: gnus in Emacs trunk: read/expire-flags lost for mail in inbox
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-17 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:

> Is the fix already part of GNU Emacs trunk?

Yes.

> Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of when changing
> nnml-marks-is-evil back to nil?  I would like to test if the fix works
> for me...

No, it should (hopefully) just work.