* `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y' not in manual
@ 2004-06-04 11:56 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2004-06-04 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

FYI, I noticed that the functions `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y'
are not documented in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.

About the `posn-at-point' function, any idea on how to convert the
pixel coordinates it returns, which are relative to a window, into
coordinates relative to the selected frame, to display a tool tip at
point for example?

Thanks!

David

* Re: `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y' not in manual
@ 2004-06-04 12:10 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-06-04 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David PONCE <david.ponce@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> FYI, I noticed that the functions `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y'
> are not documented in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.
>
> About the `posn-at-point' function, any idea on how to convert the
> pixel coordinates it returns, which are relative to a window, into
> coordinates relative to the selected frame, to display a tool tip at
> point for example?

window-inside-pixel-edges or window-pixel-edges ?

* Re: `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y' not in manual
@ 2004-06-04 12:15 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2004-06-04 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>>About the `posn-at-point' function, any idea on how to convert the
>>pixel coordinates it returns, which are relative to a window, into
>>coordinates relative to the selected frame, to display a tool tip at
>>point for example?
>

> window-inside-pixel-edges or window-pixel-edges ?

Of course!  Thanks!
As an example, here is an implementation of a `set-mouse-at-point'
function that seems to work very well :-)

(defun set-mouse-at-point ()
  "Move the mouse pointer to pixel position of point."
  (let* ((pos (posn-at-point))
         (x-y (posn-x-y pos))
         (wnd (posn-window pos))
         (frm (window-frame wnd))
         (edg (window-pixel-edges wnd)))
    (set-mouse-pixel-position
     frm
     (+ (car x-y) (car  edg) (frame-char-width frm))
     (+ (cdr x-y) (cadr edg) (/ (frame-char-height frm) 2)))
    ))

* Re: `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y' not in manual
@ 2004-06-04 12:23 ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2004-06-04 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dak, emacs-devel

> Of course!  Thanks!
> As an example, here is an implementation of a `set-mouse-at-point'
> function that seems to work very well :-)

How about tooltip?
Doctor, please show a sample. People wish your epiphany:-)

* Re: `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y' not in manual
@ 2004-06-04 14:37 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2004-06-04 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Masatake YAMATO wrote:
>>Of course!  Thanks!
>>As an example, here is an implementation of a `set-mouse-at-point'
>>function that seems to work very well :-)
>

> How about tooltip?
> Doctor, please show a sample. People wish your epiphany:-)

Here it is:

(defun tooltip-show-at-point (text)
  "Display a tooltip with TEXT near cursor."
  (let* ((oP (mouse-pixel-position))
         (tooltip-x-offset 0)
         (tooltip-y-offset (- (frame-char-height))))
    (set-mouse-at-point)
    (tooltip-show text)
    (set-mouse-pixel-position (nth 0 oP) (nth 1 oP) (nthcdr 2 oP))
    ))

@ 2004-06-04 16:53 ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2004-06-04 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> >>Of course!  Thanks!
> >>As an example, here is an implementation of a `set-mouse-at-point'
> >>function that seems to work very well :-)
> >

> > How about tooltip?
> > Doctor, please show a sample. People wish your epiphany:-)
> >

> Here it is:

Thank you, sir.
However, I'd like not to move the mouse cursor if possible.
I've implemented `point-pixel-position' based on your code.
Maybe this code is applicable to popup menu.

(defun point-pixel-position ()
  "Same as `mouse-pixel-position' but for point."
  (let* ((pos (posn-at-point))
         (x-y (posn-x-y pos))
         (wnd (posn-window pos))
         (frm (window-frame wnd))
         (edg (window-pixel-edges wnd)))
    (cons
     frm
     (cons (+ (car x-y) (car  edg) (frame-char-width frm))
	   (+ (cdr x-y) (cadr edg) (/ (frame-char-height frm) 2))))))

(defun tooltip-show-at-point (text)
  "Display a tooltip with TEXT near cursor without moving mouse cursor."
  (let* ((oP (mouse-pixel-position))
	 (nP (point-pixel-position))
         (tooltip-x-offset tooltip-x-offset)
         (tooltip-y-offset tooltip-y-offset))
    ;; The current mouse position is out of range.
    ;; Do dirty thing here.
    (if (or (null (cadr oP))
	    (null (cddr oP)))
	(set-mouse-pixel-position (nth 0 nP)
				  (nth 1 nP) (nthcdr 2 nP))
      (setq tooltip-x-offset (+ (if tooltip-x-offset tooltip-x-offset 5)
			      (- (cadr nP) (cadr oP)))
	    tooltip-y-offset (+ (if tooltip-y-offset tooltip-y-offset -10)
				(- (cddr nP)(cddr oP)))))
    (tooltip-show text)
    ))

* Re: `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y' not in manual
@ 2004-06-04 17:11   ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2004-06-04 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Thank you, sir.
> However, I'd like not to move the mouse cursor if possible.
> I've implemented `point-pixel-position' based on your code.
> Maybe this code is applicable to popup menu.

Here is the example:

(let* ((pos (posn-at-point))
       (x-y (posn-x-y pos))
       (wnd (posn-window pos)))
  (popup-menu (list nil "eval-after-load" "eval-and-compile" "eval-buffer" "eval-current-buffer" "eval-defun")
	      (list (list (car x-y)
			  (cdr x-y))
		    wnd)))

May be useful to show completion candidate.

Masatake YAMATO

* Re: `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y' not in manual
@ 2004-06-05 13:49 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-06-05 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    FYI, I noticed that the functions `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y'
    are not documented in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.

Would someone like to write text for the manual about them?

Explaining explicitly that using window-inside-pixel-edges
is the way to turn this into frame-relative would be useful.

* Re: `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y' not in manual
@ 2004-06-07 10:14 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2004-06-07 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     FYI, I noticed that the functions `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y'
>     are not documented in the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.
>
> Would someone like to write text for the manual about them?
>
> Explaining explicitly that using window-inside-pixel-edges
> is the way to turn this into frame-relative would be useful.

Hi,

Here is a text I wrote that could serve as a starting point.  I am not
sure in which file to add it.  Feel free to proof read it, and use a
better English than mine ;-)

Sincerely,
David

------------------------- [ cut here ] ------------------------------
These functions return position information similar to that returned
by @code{event-start}, from a visible position on the display.

@defun posn-at-point &optional pos window
Return position information for buffer @var{pos} in @var{window}.
@var{pos} defaults to point in @var{window}; @var{window} defaults to
the selected window.

Return @code{nil} if position is not visible in window.  Otherwise,
the return value is similar to that returned by @code{event-start} for
a mouse click at the upper left corner of the glyph corresponding to
the given buffer position:

@example
(@var{window} @var{area-or-pos} (@var{x} . @var{y}) @var{timestamp}
 @var{object} @var{text-pos} (@var{col} . @var{row})
 @var{image} (@var{dx} . @var{dy}) (@var{width} . @var{height}))
@end example

The @code{posn-} functions access elements of such lists.
@end defun

@defun posn-at-x-y x y &optional frame-or-window
Return position information for pixel coordinates @var{x} and @var{y}.
By default, @var{x} and @var{y} are relative to text area of the
selected window.  Optional third arg @var{frame_or_window}
non-@code{nil} specifies frame or window.

The return value is similar to a mouse click position:

@example
(@var{window} @var{area-or-pos} (@var{x} . @var{y}) @var{timestamp}
 @var{object} @var{text-pos} (@var{col} . @var{row})
 @var{image} (@var{dx} . @var{dy}) (@var{width} . @var{height}))
@end example

The @code{posn-} functions access elements of such lists.
@end defun

The following sample function illustrates how the function
@code{window-inside-pixel-edges} can be used to convert
window-relative coordinates, like those returned by the
@code{posn-at-} functions, into frame-relative coordinates:

@example
(defun frame-relative-coordinates (position)
  "Return frame-relative coordinates from POSITION."
  (let* ((x-y (posn-x-y position))
         (window (posn-window position))
         (edges (window-inside-pixel-edges window)))
    (cons (+ (car x-y) (car edges))
          (+ (cdr x-y) (cadr edges)))))
@end example
------------------------- [ cut here ] ------------------------------

* Re: `posn-at-point' and `posn-at-x-y' not in manual
@ 2004-06-07 10:47 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2004-06-07 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dak, emacs-devel

David PONCE <david.ponce@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> >>About the `posn-at-point' function, any idea on how to convert the
> >>pixel coordinates it returns, which are relative to a window, into
> >>coordinates relative to the selected frame, to display a tool tip at
> >>point for example?
> >

> > window-inside-pixel-edges or window-pixel-edges ?
>
> Of course!  Thanks!
> As an example, here is an implementation of a `set-mouse-at-point'
> function that seems to work very well :-)
>
> (defun set-mouse-at-point ()
>   "Move the mouse pointer to pixel position of point."
>   (let* ((pos (posn-at-point))
>          (x-y (posn-x-y pos))
>          (wnd (posn-window pos))
>          (frm (window-frame wnd))
>          (edg (window-pixel-edges wnd)))
>     (set-mouse-pixel-position
>      frm
>      (+ (car x-y) (car  edg) (frame-char-width frm))
>      (+ (cdr x-y) (cadr edg) (/ (frame-char-height frm) 2)))
>     ))

Here are some other nice functions to play with -- maybe something
for line-move to use?

(defun posn-above-point (&optional pos window)
  "Return position above POS in WINDOW."
  (let ((posn (posn-at-point pos window)))
    (if posn
	(let ((x-y (posn-x-y posn)))
	  (posn-at-x-y (car x-y) (1- (cdr x-y)))))))

(defun posn-below-point (&optional pos window)
  "Return position below POS in WINDOW."
  (let ((posn (posn-at-point pos window)))
    (if posn
	(let ((x-y (posn-x-y posn))
	      (w-h (posn-object-width-height posn)))
	  (posn-at-x-y (car x-y) (+ (cdr x-y) (cdr w-h)))))))

Of course, the caller should check whether the returned posn is
in the same window as point, or that it doesn't hit the
modeline ...