* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112126: Reorder conditions that are written backwards
       [not found] <E1UJknW-0004ja-JF@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2013-03-25 14:06 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-03-25 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

>   Reorder conditions that are written backwards

Backwards according to what?

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112126: Reorder conditions that are written backwards
@ 2013-03-25 14:32   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-03-25 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Backwards according to what?

According to common sense.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112126: Reorder conditions that are written backwards
@ 2013-03-25 15:38 René Kyllingstad
From: René Kyllingstad @ 2013-03-25 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

On 25 March 2013 15:06, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> >   Reorder conditions that are written backwards
>
> Backwards according to what?

If you were explaining it to someone, which would you say:

     If i is greater than zero and less than N

or

     If zero is less than i, and i is less than N

-- René

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112126: Reorder conditions that are written backwards
@ 2013-03-25 15:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-03-25 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: René Kyllingstad; +Cc: schwab, monnier, emacs-devel

> From: René Kyllingstad <listmailemacs@kyllingstad.com>
> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:38:06 +0100
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>,
> 	"Emacs Dev \[emacs-devel\]" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > >   Reorder conditions that are written backwards
> >
> > Backwards according to what?
>
> If you were explaining it to someone, which would you say:
>
>      If i is greater than zero and less than N
>
> or
>
>      If zero is less than i, and i is less than N

This is not really relevant, as Andreas didn't change any code like
this:

  if (0 < i && i < N)

He only changed things like this:

  if (0 < i)

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112126: Reorder conditions that are written backwards
@ 2013-03-25 16:30   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2013-03-25 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: schwab, René Kyllingstad, monnier, emacs-devel

On 03/25/13 08:49, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Andreas didn't change any code like this:
>
>   if (0 < i && i < N)

I'm afraid that he did change some range-checking code
like that.  The actual code was more complicated (the part
before the && was a conditional), but it was definitely
using that style before he changed it.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112126: Reorder conditions that are written backwards
@ 2013-03-26 13:56 ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2013-03-26 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: René Kyllingstad
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, Stefan Monnier, Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

RK> If you were explaining it to someone, which would you say:

RK>      If i is greater than zero and less than N

RK> or

RK>      If zero is less than i, and i is less than N

You left out:  If i is between zero and N.

The standard math notation is 0<i<N.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r112126: Reorder conditions that are written backwards
@ 2013-03-26 14:21     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-03-26 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:32:53 +0100 Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

AS> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
>> Backwards according to what?

AS> According to common sense.

My vote, FWIW, is to leave the original code alone.  Some authors prefer
to put the constant first.  Respect their style, or explicitly forbid
it, but please don't do drive-by style changes.

Ted