* Displaying images with recent trunk
@ 2014-08-12 13:37 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-08-12 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I wonder if someone has tried to display imaged with trunk, say, after
Aug 05, 2014.

For example try this:

1. emacs -Q

2. C-x C-f
/usr/local/Emacs.app/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/emacs.png. It
looks OK.

3. Now on menu bar click 'Image' and then 'Fit Frame to image'.
Question: How to revert (undo) this?

4. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window Height'

5. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window width'

Repeat 3., 4., 5. in different order... and with various files...

Sometimes (I have tried with several PNG and JPG files), 4. and 5. gives
the same result, i.e. a deformed image (which does not maintain the
aspect ratio). Is this by design?

Image one is reading a PDF document.. If one want to see the full page,
the fitting to window height is the best thing to do.. then to read
better one fits to the window width: this does not deform the document,
one has only to scroll up/down to continue reading. If then one want to
see newly the full page then the choice is to refit to the window
height.. 3., 4. 5. above don't look reversible..

It seems one cannot to zoom.. so that the image cannot be visited as in
trunk prior Aug 05...

[...]

Ciao,
  Angelo.

* Re: Displaying images with recent trunk
@ 2014-08-12 14:02 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-08-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:

> I wonder if someone has tried to display imaged with trunk, say, after
> Aug 05, 2014.

Hey, that's when I tinkered with image-mode...

> For example try this:
>
> 1. emacs -Q
>
> 2. C-x C-f
> /usr/local/Emacs.app/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/emacs.png. It
> looks OK.
>
> 3. Now on menu bar click 'Image' and then 'Fit Frame to
> image'. Question: How to revert (undo) this?
>
> 4. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window Height'
>
> 5. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window width'
>
> Repeat 3., 4., 5. in different order... and with various files...
>
> Sometimes (I have tried with several PNG and JPG files), 4. and
> 5. gives the same result, i.e. a deformed image (which does not
> maintain the aspect ratio). Is this by design?

I'm unable to reproduce this bug.  Do you have a reproducible recipe?

The change I introduced was 1) to use imagemagick instead of the other
drivers, and 2) set max-width/max-height to the window.  I wanted to
introduce reasonable defaults when viewing images, but the logic in how
image-mode.el displays images is kinda hard to follow, so I may have
done this in a sub-optimal manner.

* Re: Displaying images with recent trunk
@ 2014-08-12 14:08   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-08-12 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

>> 3. Now on menu bar click 'Image' and then 'Fit Frame to
>> image'. Question: How to revert (undo) this?
>>
>> 4. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window Height'
>>
>> 5. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window width'

Those menu items are pretty confusing.  They set the defaults for all
subsequent images you visit, and there's no way to reset them back to
the base state.

I'll add the latter, at least.

* Re: Displaying images with recent trunk
@ 2014-08-12 21:22     ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-08-12 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Emacs developers

Il 12/08/2014 16:08, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen ha scritto:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>>> 3. Now on menu bar click 'Image' and then 'Fit Frame to
>>> image'. Question: How to revert (undo) this?
>>>
>>> 4. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window Height'
>>>
>>> 5. Click on menu bar 'Image' and then 'Fit to Window width'
>
> Those menu items are pretty confusing.  They set the defaults for all
> subsequent images you visit, and there's no way to reset them back to
> the base state.
>
> I'll add the latter, at least.

I have seen this and it is good but I still have comment..

For example, start

emacs -Q

and the visit this file

http://nuclear.ucdavis.edu/~rpicha/kaon_decay_bub_big.jpg

It is in a landscape layout so Emacs displays it fitted to the window
width.

Now if you click Image/Fit to Window Width, it is stretched vertically..
The same happens if one chooses Fit to Window Height..

Really this is the right behaviour? Think to the analogy with a PDF
document...

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-09-18 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:

> It is in a landscape layout so Emacs displays it fitted to the window
> width.
>
> Now if you click Image/Fit to Window Width, it is stretched
> vertically.. The same happens if one chooses Fit to Window Height..
>
> Really this is the right behaviour? Think to the analogy with a PDF
> document...

No, that's probably the wrong thing to do -- I think we always want to
maintain the aspect ratio.

Let's see...

Should be fixed now.

* Re: Displaying images with recent trunk
@ 2014-09-18 23:10         ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-09-18 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Emacs developers

Il 18/09/2014 20:35, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen ha scritto:
> Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:
>
>> It is in a landscape layout so Emacs displays it fitted to the window
>> width.
>>
>> Now if you click Image/Fit to Window Width, it is stretched
>> vertically.. The same happens if one chooses Fit to Window Height..
>>
>> Really this is the right behaviour? Think to the analogy with a PDF
>> document...
>
> No, that's probably the wrong thing to do -- I think we always want to
> maintain the aspect ratio.
>
> Let's see...
>
> Should be fixed now.

Yes, it is fixed.. but there is a difference between my Cygwin64 build
(which use imagemagick) and my MSYS2-MinGW64 build (which DOES NOT use
imagemagick). On the latter, the menu 'Image' lacks many items (Fit..
Rotate.. etc.). One cannot scale the image (unless one uses Fit Frame to
image; but in this case, the frame could be very big, exiting,
partially, from the PC monitor..). Anyway, it seems all works better
then before.

Thanks,

@ 2014-09-21 12:28           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-09-21 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:

> Yes, it is fixed.. but there is a difference between my Cygwin64 build
> (which use imagemagick) and my MSYS2-MinGW64 build (which DOES NOT use
> imagemagick). On the latter, the menu 'Image' lacks many items
> (Fit.. Rotate.. etc.).

Emacs doesn't support image scaling with any other library but
ImageMagick at the moment.