From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
To: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: trunk r113947: * image.c: Fix animation cache signature memory leak.
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 19:04:43 +0200	[thread overview]

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> By the way, did you know that each animation signature
> contains 4 KiB of wasted memory?  It's ImageMagick
> code that's wasting it.  Dunno if that's worth tuning.

I tried looking at the ImageMagick sources and it made my head swim.
The signature function calls AquireString, which eventually calls
AcquireMagickMemory, which manages a pool of memory.  Probably to avoid
having to call malloc a lot.

But if that can be tuned, then it would probably be nice to get rid of
the extra memory.  But it might not make much difference.  After all, we
stick the wand into the cache, and the wand is going to be a lot bigger.

Actually, calling the cache pruning function now and then would probably
be a good idea?  I'm not sure where it should be called from, though.
The idle timer?

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php
  and http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2013/08/twenty-years-of-september.html