* exposing seed_random to lisp?
@ 2011-03-16 21:17 joakim
From: joakim @ 2011-03-16 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

"random" has a hardcoded facility to seed the pseudo random
generator. Would a patch to expose seed_random to lisp be okay?

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: exposing seed_random to lisp?
@ 2011-03-17  2:17 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-17  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Emacs developers

> "random" has a hardcoded facility to seed the pseudo random
> generator. Would a patch to expose seed_random to lisp be okay?

I don't see why not.  Send your patch,

* Re: exposing seed_random to lisp?
@ 2011-03-17  2:22   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2011-03-17  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: joakim, Emacs developers

On 03/16/2011 07:17 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I don't see why not.

I see one gotcha: a seed that is an Emacs fixnum
typically does not contain enough entropy to cover
all the possible seeds that seed_random can accept.
One possible workaround is to have the seed be a list
of fixnums rather than just a single fixnum.

* Re: exposing seed_random to lisp?
@ 2011-03-17  8:12     ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2011-03-17  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs developers

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> On 03/16/2011 07:17 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I don't see why not.
>
> I see one gotcha: a seed that is an Emacs fixnum
> typically does not contain enough entropy to cover
> all the possible seeds that seed_random can accept.
> One possible workaround is to have the seed be a list
> of fixnums rather than just a single fixnum.

Good catch. For compatibility with future super Emacsen, the function
could accept different types:
- single fixnum with too little entropy
- list of fixnums
- future bignum

list of fixnums would be my initial attempt.

--
Joakim Verona