* Updating copyright years
@ 2005-05-17 21:48 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2005-05-17 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm a bit puzzled by some of the recent updates of copyright years.

Specifically, I looked at emulation/cua-base.el and emulation/cua-rect.el

In the first, years 2003 and 2004 have been _deleted_.
In the second, year 2004 has been _deleted_.

There are several minor changes in 2003, and some very SIGNIFICANT
changes in 2004.

Don't we need to add copyright for those years as we didn't
actually make any official release with those changes?
The sources were still publicly available via anon-CVS.

Please clarify the policy by documenting the correct procedure
in FOR-RELEASE.

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2005-05-18 13:20 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-05-18 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Please clarify the policy by documenting the correct
> procedure in FOR-RELEASE.

if there are to be policy corrections, please also modify
admin/notes/years (just installed), since FOR-RELEASE has
more temporary nature.

thi

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2005-05-18 22:44 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-05-18 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Specifically, I looked at emulation/cua-base.el and emulation/cua-rect.el

    In the first, years 2003 and 2004 have been _deleted_.
    In the second, year 2004 has been _deleted_.

That seems strange to me too.  Would whoever made this change please
explain the reasoning behind it?

    Don't we need to add copyright for those years as we didn't
    actually make any official release with those changes?
    The sources were still publicly available via anon-CVS.

That is my thinking too.  Every check-in is in fact published.

* Re: Updating copyright years
  2012-01-05 23:05   ` Updating copyright years (was Re: [gnus git] branch master updated: n0-17-447-g55c26cf =1= Add 2012 to FSF copyright years for Emacs files.) Katsumi Yamaoka
@ 2012-01-05 23:14     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-01-05 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> Emacs people seem to have been updating it at the beginning of
> every year regardless of having been changed or not.

Emacs has done it this way for several years, as documented in
admin/notes and as recommended in "Information for Maintainers of GNU
Software":

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Copyright-Notices

    To update the list of year numbers, add each year in which you have
    made nontrivial changes to the package. (Here we assume you're using
    a publicly accessible revision control server, so that every
    revision installed is also immediately and automatically published.)
    When you add the new year, it is not required to keep track of which
    files have seen significant changes in the new year and which have
    not. It is recommended and simpler to add the new year to all files
    in the package, and be done with it for the rest of the year.

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2012-01-05 23:54       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-01-05 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> Emacs people seem to have been updating it at the beginning of
>> every year regardless of having been changed or not.

> Emacs has done it this way for several years, as documented in
> admin/notes and as recommended in "Information for Maintainers of GNU
> Software":

> http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Copyright-Notices

>     To update the list of year numbers, add each year in which you have
>     made nontrivial changes to the package. (Here we assume you're using
>     a publicly accessible revision control server, so that every
>     revision installed is also immediately and automatically published.)
>     When you add the new year, it is not required to keep track of which
>     files have seen significant changes in the new year and which have
>     not. It is recommended and simpler to add the new year to all files
>     in the package, and be done with it for the rest of the year.

This clalified.  Thanks.  I think it's ok for the Gnus trunk.

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2012-01-07  0:13       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2012-01-07  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: yamaoka, ding, emacs-devel

Our last legal advice is that the years are for when _Emacs_ changed,
and Emacs has already changed this year.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2012-01-10 23:35       ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2012-01-10 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka, ding, emacs-devel

GM> Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
>> Emacs people seem to have been updating it at the beginning of
>> every year regardless of having been changed or not.

GM> Emacs has done it this way for several years, as documented in
GM> admin/notes and as recommended in "Information for Maintainers of GNU
GM> Software":

That doesn't make it right, and I've gone on the record in the past
arguing against it.

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2012-01-11 13:43         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-11 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: ding

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:35:34 -0800 merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

GM> Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
>>> Emacs people seem to have been updating it at the beginning of
>>> every year regardless of having been changed or not.

GM> Emacs has done it this way for several years, as documented in
GM> admin/notes and as recommended in "Information for Maintainers of GNU
GM> Software":

RLS> That doesn't make it right, and I've gone on the record in the past
RLS> arguing against it.

Doesn't the act of modifying the file to insert the new year make the
file modified and thus require the new year?  Heh heh.

(No opinion one way or the other, just found that amusing.)

Ted

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2012-01-11 14:21           ` Carsten Mattner
From: Carsten Mattner @ 2012-01-11 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

2012/1/11 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>:

> GM> Emacs has done it this way for several years, as documented in
> GM> admin/notes and as recommended in "Information for Maintainers of GNU
> GM> Software":
>
> RLS> That doesn't make it right, and I've gone on the record in the past
> RLS> arguing against it.
>
> Doesn't the act of modifying the file to insert the new year make the
> file modified and thus require the new year?  Heh heh.
>
> (No opinion one way or the other, just found that amusing.)

Does anyone know why it's required to include a date (year) in
copyright headers.

In the same context, do all licenses lend themselve to just be
referred in the file
header (foobar $LICENSE_NAME .... found in LICENSE), or is this dangerous?
Is a complete verbatim copy of the license a requirement? Maybe if the file is
distributed separately?

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2012-01-11 16:22             ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2012-01-11 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Mattner; +Cc: emacs-devel

Carsten Mattner writes:
 > Ted Zlatanov writes:

 > > Doesn't the act of modifying the file to insert the new year make
 > > the file modified and thus require the new year?  Heh heh.

No.  Dates are not expressive works.  Q.E.D.

 > Does anyone know why it's required to include a date (year) in
 > copyright headers.

I don't know what the current situation is exactly, but the basic
thing is that in the U.S., the automatic Berne Convention copyright
doesn't require any notice at all (of course that's true of all Berne
Convention signatories).  If you receive a work with no notice, you
must assume that all (copy) rights are reserved to the owner, even if
you don't know who that is.  However, the owner's powers of
enforcement are basically limited to a cease-and-desist order on
copying, and destruction of existing unlicensed copies.

If you want to press criminal charges, and IIRC also to sue for
damages (at least for statutory damages), you need to register your
copyright, and in turn you are obliged to provide a notice of
copyright, including when copyrights in the work were established.
The reason for that requirement today is mostly moot: copyrights do
expire (although we'll probably not see that day), and the copyright
notice tells the user when.

 > In the same context, do all licenses lend themselve to just be
 > referred in the file
 > header (foobar $LICENSE_NAME .... found in LICENSE), or is this dangerous?
 > Is a complete verbatim copy of the license a requirement? Maybe if
 > the file is distributed separately?

The problem with a permission-by-reference is that the user doesn't
know what her rights are, not that the owner of the copyright can't
enforce any restrictions that they choose to maintain (if they're
enforceable at all, of course).  With a well-known license such as the
GPL, it's really not necessary to provide a copy of the license from a
legal point of view (except in cases where it's an invariant section
in an FDL document or the like).  However, the GPL is also an advocacy
document, so providing it in every distribution is a GoodThang.

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2012-01-11 16:36               ` Carsten Mattner
From: Carsten Mattner @ 2012-01-11 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
> The problem with a permission-by-reference is that the user doesn't
> know what her rights are, not that the owner of the copyright can't
> enforce any restrictions that they choose to maintain (if they're
> enforceable at all, of course).  With a well-known license such as the
> GPL, it's really not necessary to provide a copy of the license from a
> legal point of view (except in cases where it's an invariant section
> in an FDL document or the like).  However, the GPL is also an advocacy
> document, so providing it in every distribution is a GoodThang.

So if I had something like:
// Copyright __YEAR__ The __PROJECT__ Authors.  All Rights Reserved.
// Use of this source code is governed by a __LICENSE__
// license that can be found in the LICENSE file.

Is that good enough?
Looking at src/nsterm.m as an example, it also doesn't have a copy of the
GPL but a long reference to it plus some surrounding explanation.

/*
GNU Emacs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.
*/

Isn't this almost the same reference-only licensing header?

* Re: Updating copyright years
@ 2012-01-11 19:39         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2012-01-11 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randal L. Schwartz; +Cc: yamaoka, ding, emacs-devel

We are following legal advice, and we will continue to follow it,
so please don't argue about it here.

--

@ 2012-01-12  4:13                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2012-01-12  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Mattner; +Cc: stephen, emacs-devel

    With a well-known license such as the
    > GPL, it's really not necessary to provide a copy of the license from a
    > legal point of view

Actually it is a requirement: the GPL says you must include a copy of
the GPL when you distribute a GPL-covered work.

--

@ 2012-01-12  6:52                   ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2012-01-12  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Carsten Mattner, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman writes:
 >     With a well-known license such as the
 >     > GPL, it's really not necessary to provide a copy of the license from a
 >     > legal point of view
 >
 > Actually it is a requirement: the GPL says you must include a copy of
 > the GPL when you distribute a GPL-covered work.

You're right, I should have been more precise.  I meant that U.S. law
does not require it, although a particular license may.