* [ELPA] New package: slime-volleyball
@ 2020-11-21 21:48 Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2020-11-21 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I'd like to include slime-volleyball in GNU ELPA, and move its
development to elpa.git, from:

   https://github.com/fitzsim/slime-volleyball

I have a local branch where I've replayed the history of that repository
into packages/slime-volleyball on the elpa.git master branch.

I've received a few small patches to the code; they're all fewer than 15
lines, so I think it's fine in terms of copyright assignment.

Thanks,
Thomas

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slime-volleyball
@ 2020-11-21 22:22 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2020-11-21 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Fitzsimmons; +Cc: emacs-devel

* Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@fitzsim.org> [2020-11-22 00:49]:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to include slime-volleyball in GNU ELPA, and move its
> development to elpa.git, from:
>
>    https://github.com/fitzsim/slime-volleyball

Good move to get away from the trap of Github!

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slime-volleyball
@ 2020-11-21 23:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-11-21 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Fitzsimmons; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I have a local branch where I've replayed the history of that repository
> into packages/slime-volleyball on the elpa.git master branch.

Sounds like you're grafting your slime-volleyball as a :subtree in the
master branch of elpa.git.  Better make it an external, that's the
preferred way nowadays.

> I've received a few small patches to the code; they're all fewer than 15
> lines, so I think it's fine in terms of copyright assignment.

Sounds good.  IIUC you already have write access, so you can add it
yourself, but if you need help, let me know,

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slime-volleyball
@ 2020-11-22  1:41   ` Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2020-11-22  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> I have a local branch where I've replayed the history of that repository
>> into packages/slime-volleyball on the elpa.git master branch.
>
> Sounds like you're grafting your slime-volleyball as a :subtree in the
> master branch of elpa.git.  Better make it an external, that's the
> preferred way nowadays.

OK.  I was thinking of developing it the same was as Excorporate, as a
"non-external", not using subtrees or anything, just in-line commits
with the elpa.git master branch.  But it looks like elpa.git-as-upstream
externals are possible (see below), in which case I can use that
approach instead.

>> I've received a few small patches to the code; they're all fewer than 15
>> lines, so I think it's fine in terms of copyright assignment.
>
> Sounds good.  IIUC you already have write access, so you can add it
> yourself, but if you need help, let me know,

I want to use elpa.git as the upstream of slime-volleyball.  Is that
what a "nil" external is, e.g.:

 ("dismal"		:external nil)

If so, I'll add a comment in externals-list to that effect.

@ 2020-11-22 15:04     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-11-22 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Fitzsimmons; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I want to use elpa.git as the upstream of slime-volleyball.  Is that
> what a "nil" external is, e.g.:
>
>  ("dismal"		:external nil)

That's right,

> If so, I'll add a comment in externals-list to that effect.

Even better, thanks,

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slime-volleyball
@ 2020-11-25  0:08 ` Phil Sainty
From: Phil Sainty @ 2020-11-25  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Fitzsimmons; +Cc: emacs-devel

I package-install'd slime-volleyball from GNU ELPA, but the installed
contents are only:

slime-volleyball-autoloads.el
slime-volleyball.el
slime-volleyball.elc
slime-volleyball-pkg.el

So M-x slime-volleyball signals the error

> load-file: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory,
> .../.emacs.d/elpa/slime-volleyball-1.1.3/grey-slime.el.gz

The missing files can be seen in the ELPA repository:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/?h=externals/slime-volleyball
so I think it's just the package definition which needs updating?

(info "(elisp)Multi-file Packages")

-Phil

* Re: [ELPA] New package: slime-volleyball
@ 2020-11-25  2:08   ` Thomas Fitzsimmons
From: Thomas Fitzsimmons @ 2020-11-25  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Sainty; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Phil,

Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz> writes:

> I package-install'd slime-volleyball from GNU ELPA, but the installed
> contents are only:
>
> slime-volleyball-autoloads.el
> slime-volleyball.el
> slime-volleyball.elc
> slime-volleyball-pkg.el
>
> So M-x slime-volleyball signals the error
>
>> load-file: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory,
>> .../.emacs.d/elpa/slime-volleyball-1.1.3/grey-slime.el.gz
>
> The missing files can be seen in the ELPA repository:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/?h=externals/slime-volleyball
> so I think it's just the package definition which needs updating?
>
> (info "(elisp)Multi-file Packages")

Thanks for reporting.  I just pushed version 1.1.5 which should take the
form of a multi-file package when GNU ELPA publishes it in the next few
hours.

Thomas