* emacs extensions in guile?
@ 2020-01-30  5:24 Muru Selvakumar
From: Muru Selvakumar @ 2020-01-30  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

is it possible to write emacs extensions in guile? I mean i understand that
guile can run elisp code, but can extensions written in guile can use emacs
internal variables, say buffers for example. or guile is still a second
class citizen inside emacs?
Thanks,
vanangamudi

* Re: emacs extensions in guile?
@ 2020-01-30 14:03 ` Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2020-01-30 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muru Selvakumar; +Cc: emacs-devel

Muru Selvakumar <selva.developer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> is it possible to write emacs extensions in guile? I mean i understand that
> guile can run elisp code, but can extensions written in guile can use emacs
> internal variables, say buffers for example. or guile is still a second class
> citizen inside emacs?
>
> Thanks,
> vanangamudi

Not in official GNU Emacs to the best of my knowledge, though I'd be
curious to know whether modules could be a conduit to get to Guile.  I
have not explored the possibility.

There is a write-up at:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GuileEmacs

which points to a proof-of-concept, though I believe that development
has effectively paused.  That repo worked for me when I tried it a
couple of years ago on Debian GNU/Linux, though it was comparatively
slow for reasons that have been discussed on this list and elsewhere.