* enabled commands should go into custom-file
@ 2005-07-12  9:32 Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-07-12  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I  just  used  for  the   first  time  the  commands  upcase-region  and
downcase-region.

At this time emacs told me  that these commands are maybe confusing ones
and asked  whether I  wanted to  enable them. As  I answered  'yes' with
keeping  of  the enabled  status  for future  use,  I  noticed that  the
following lines were added to my .emacs :
(put 'upcase-region 'disabled nil)
(put 'downcase-region 'disabled nil)

My .emacs  is often  and highly modified  by hand  and I don't  like any
automatic modification thus I  defined custom-file so that the customize
interface will have its own configuration file to play with.

As  enabling  a   disabled  by  default  command  is   also  a  kind  of
auto-modification of  the configuration and given that  a custom-file is
defined, shouldn't it go in it ?

Regards.

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: enabled commands should go into custom-file
@ 2005-07-12 13:11 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-07-12 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 12 Jul 2005, at 10:32, Sébastien Kirche wrote:

> My .emacs  is often  and highly modified  by hand  and I don't
> like any
> automatic modification thus I  defined custom-file so that the
> customize
> interface will have its own configuration file to play with.

I second that. .emacs (or whatever is defined) should be left untouched.
custom-file is what it is for.
The fact that both are the same by default hides issues like that.

Also, it might make sense to reevaluate such supposedly confusing
commands.
I was more confused by the novice-question - after all I typed M-x
upcase-region, and it did what I expected.

I suppose the only thing that could be confusing is if it is bound to
some simple key combination.
But it times of Undo, is something like this novice lock still
sensible for something like upcase-region?