* new (writable) emacs arch repository on savannah: emacs@sv.gnu.org
@ 2006-01-21 11:50 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-01-21 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've made a new arch repository for the Emacs development branches on
savannah.gnu.org, using savannah's new arch support.

It is writable by any emacs hacker with write-access to the emacs
project on savannah (it uses the same ssh key that CVS access uses);
there's also read-only version available anonymously via http.

I will synchronize the arch branches with the corresponding CVS branches
on savannah (as I did previously with my personal arch repository;
anybody who previously got emacs sources from "miles@gnu.org--gnu-2005"
should switch to this new repository).  That means that any emacs hacker
who wishes to use arch instead of CVS can do so fairly easily.

The name of the repository is:  emacs@sv.gnu.org

The repository locations are:

   read-write:  sftp://$USER@arch.sv.gnu.org/archives/emacs

   read-only:   http://arch.sv.gnu.org/archives/emacs

[where $USER is your savannah user-name]

See http://arch.sv.gnu.org/guide.html for some more help.

This is a signed archive, so to use it, you'll have to have the GPG keys
for the committer of any revisions you check out, which is kind of a
pain.  Mostly this means my keys, but possibly anybody else who commits
revisions.

A reasonably easy way to get keys is to use gpg's key-server support,
e.g. to search for my keys:

   gpg --search-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu miles@gnu.org

and to search for Stefan's:

   gpg --search-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu monnier@iro.umontreal.ca

[does anybody know an easier way to do this?]

The branches currently available are:

         emacs--devo--0
         emacs--lexbind--0
         emacs--tiling--0
         emacs--unicode--0
         gnus--devo--0
         gnus--rel--5.10

Thanks to the savannah team for what looks like very solid and usable
arch support!

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.

* Re: new (writable) emacs arch repository on savannah: emacs@sv.gnu.org
@ 2006-01-22 13:10 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-01-22 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tried to get Emacs source from new arch repo unsuccessfully. Here
are details which may help you in finding problem and solution.

1. Since I use MacOSX, I installed arch with darwinports. The version is
   1.3.3.
2. Setup my id.
3. Created ~/arch/ for all arch repos.
4. Register new arch repo
,----
| $ tla register-archive http://arch.sv.gnu.org/archives/emacs
| Failed to access file '.archive-version'
| Could not determine archive format, guessing to be tla 1.0
| Registering archive: emacs@sv.gnu.org
`----
I trust you are using Gnu Arc 1. Maybe you need setup arch version to
suppress the error message.

I have checked and archive is registered successfully.

5. Import your pgp key
,----
| $ gpg --search-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu miles@gnu.org
| gpg: searching for "miles@gnu.org" from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
| (1)     Miles Bader (fencepost) <miles@gnu.org>
|         Miles Bader (fencepost) <miles@gnu.org>
|           1024 bit DSA key 96BE5053, created: 2003-12-26
| (2)     Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
|         Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp>
|           1024 bit DSA key 02B1FC4C, created: 2003-12-11
| Enter number(s), N)ext, or Q)uit > 1
| gpg: requesting key 96BE5053 from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
| gpg: key 96BE5053: duplicated user ID detected - merged
| gpg: key 96BE5053: public key "Miles Bader (fencepost) <miles@gnu.org>" imported
| gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, PGP trust model
| gpg: depth: 0  valid:   1  signed:   0  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 1u
| gpg: Total number processed: 1
| gpg:               imported: 1
`----
Maybe I made mistake here. I imported number 1, but seems it's for
fencepost not for Emacs arch.

6. Get emacs--devo--0 (same as CVS Trunk)
,----
| $ tla get emacs@sv.gnu.org/emacs--devo--0 emacs
| Failed to access file '.archive-version'
| Could not determine archive format, guessing to be tla 1.0
| * from archive cached: emacs@sv.gnu.org/emacs--devo--0--base-0
| webdav error: Could not read response body: Connection reset by peer
| shgog:~/arch shgog$
| gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
| tar: Child returned status 1
| tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
`----
I had to stop it with Ctrl-c.

7. In case  it's owing to wrong gpg key, I imported Stephan's
,----
| $ gpg --search-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
| gpg: searching for "monnier@iro.umontreal.ca" from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
| (1)     Stefan Monnier (Emacs-Arch) <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
|           1024 bit DSA key A25A1657, created: 2006-01-20
| (2)     Stefan Monnier (alfajor) <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
|           1024 bit DSA key 5C63C139, created: 2004-12-09
| (3)     Stefan Monnier (DIRO) <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
|           1024 bit DSA key EFB7B90F, created: 2004-02-02
| Enter number(s), N)ext, or Q)uit > 1
| gpg: requesting key A25A1657 from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
| gpg: key A25A1657: public key "Stefan Monnier (Emacs-Arch) <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>" imported
| gpg: Total number processed: 1
| gpg:               imported: 1
`----
It's clear I imported the right key.

8. Still no joy
,----
| $ tla get emacs@sv.gnu.org/emacs--devo--0 emacs
| Failed to access file '.archive-version'
| Could not determine archive format, guessing to be tla 1.0
| * from archive cached: emacs@sv.gnu.org/emacs--devo--0--base-0
| webdav error: Could not read response body: Connection reset by peer
| shgog:~/arch shgog$
| gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
| tar: Child returned status 1
| tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
`----

So seems I have to stick to CVS.

Who is the culprit? tla? server?

* Re: new (writable) emacs arch repository on savannah: emacs@sv.gnu.org
@ 2006-01-30  1:36 ` Michael Olson
From: Michael Olson @ 2006-01-30  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> I've made a new arch repository for the Emacs development branches
> on savannah.gnu.org, using savannah's new arch support.
>
> [snip]
>
> This is a signed archive, so to use it, you'll have to have the GPG
> keys for the committer of any revisions you check out, which is kind
> of a pain.  Mostly this means my keys, but possibly anybody else who
> commits revisions.
>
> A reasonably easy way to get keys is to use gpg's key-server support,
> e.g. to search for my keys:
>
>    gpg --search-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu miles@gnu.org
>
> and to search for Stefan's:
>
>    gpg --search-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu monnier@iro.umontreal.ca

My key might also be needed now.

gpg --search-keys --keyserver pgp.mit.edu mwolson@gnu.org

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: manga, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: new (writable) emacs arch repository on savannah: emacs@sv.gnu.org
@ 2006-02-10  4:07   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-02-10  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

*On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:10:52 +0800
* CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> So seems I have to stick to CVS.
>
> Who is the culprit? tla? server?
Flase alarm. Seems it was owing to server failure. I can check out now.

* Re: new (writable) emacs arch repository on savannah: emacs@sv.gnu.org
@ 2006-02-10  4:43     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-02-10  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:
> Flase alarm. Seems it was owing to server failure. I can check out now.

Yeah I noticed savannah was being very flaky a few days ago too; it
seems to be better now though.

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
  			-- Walter Hines Page