* git commit notation
@ 2018-07-24 23:33 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-07-24 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is there some special git commit notation for commits that only change
comments or docstrings? I ask because I've seen some commit notices that
start with the ";" comment character, and I can't tell if those are
merge commits, or "no code change" commits.

I'm wondering if there are some such commits that don't trigger
testing/new builds, or something like that.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: git commit notation
@ 2018-07-24 23:41 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-07-24 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-devel

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Is there some special git commit notation for commits that only change
> comments or docstrings? I ask because I've seen some commit notices that
> start with the ";" comment character, and I can't tell if those are
> merge commits, or "no code change" commits.

Starting with "; " means that it's an unimportant commit whose commit message
won't be copied into ChangeLog.whatever.

> I'm wondering if there are some such commits that don't trigger
> testing/new builds, or something like that.

Not as far as I know, no.

* Re: git commit notation
@ 2018-07-24 23:49   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-07-24 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Is there some special git commit notation for commits that only change
>> comments or docstrings? I ask because I've seen some commit notices that
>> start with the ";" comment character, and I can't tell if those are
>> merge commits, or "no code change" commits.
>
> Starting with "; " means that it's an unimportant commit whose commit
> message won't be copied into ChangeLog.whatever.

Aha!

>> I'm wondering if there are some such commits that don't trigger
>> testing/new builds, or something like that.
>
> Not as far as I know, no.

Got it, thank you for the explanation.

Eric

* Re: git commit notation
@ 2018-07-25 18:38   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2018-07-25 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-devel

PE> Starting with "; " means that it's an unimportant commit whose commit
PE> message won't be copied into ChangeLog.whatever.

Nice, as it says in CONTRIBUTE:

- Start with a single unindented summary line explaining the change;
  do not end this line with a period.  If that line starts with a
  semicolon and a space "; ", the commit message will be ignored when
  generating the ChangeLog file.  Use this for minor commits that do
  not need separate ChangeLog entries, such as changes in etc/NEWS.